Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 9,135 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Sorry to bother everyone but I am planning to move to Richmond from PA as I got another job.

I have been reading all the posts in this forum since and am trying to get an idea of where to relocate. I have a feeling about the good and not so good places around that I got reading this forum.

Still, I would like to narrow the inputs from the fellow forum members to my particular case, guessed that would help me.

So here it is. I am 27, single, vegetarian(know its not related but just thought to mention), young professional. Like to visit places out at night as well as enjoy my stay at home. Not so much into drink/bar scene. Definitely don't want to stay in noisy neighborhood. Like to play racquetball so a gym or YMCA nearby will be cool! I am going to work in Colonial Heights, VA. I want to rent an apartment, Single Bedroom, within acceptable commutable distance from the place(around 20~25mins is fine. Idle would be less than 15mins though). Also open to renting Townhouse or home.

I would like to know about good neighborhoods in that region.

I would like to know about good apartments in that radius.

Also, rough idea of the rent that I may end up paying with list of any amenities that may be included in the rent.

Also, any bad areas around that places that I should be aware of so I accidentally don't wander into it.

I have initial thoughts of living in Chesterfield area near Chester VA. Can any one tell me more about the area and my decision.

Any kind of help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM

Any one here can help me out!!! please?

Old 05-15-2012, 03:06 PM

161 posts, read 529,424 times
Chester is a good choice---there are a few newish, nice apartment complexes on West Hundred Road (RT. 10), a few miles west of the village center--I would guess those go for about $750 for a one bedroom. East of Chester, also along RT.10, there are several newish complexes in the Enon community which would be a really quick commute from C. Hts (take the Walthall exit off 95 and cut through). There is a good YMCA in Chester as well as all other convienences. All of these are easily within 20 mins of C. Hts., though traffic can get bad on 95 and in "downtown" Chester during rush hours.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:29 AM

Hi moedog2,

Thanks for the reply. I guess you were the first one to shed some light on the topic and that is helpful. I will research on the areas that you mentioned and come back to the post when I have additional questions....

Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,151,634 times
If you do a search for some of my past posts, you should see quite a bit of info out there on apartments. Colonial Heights is right at Fort Lee. I second the Chester area. You have River's Bend Apartments, which are in a great residential area for daily walks, as well as Rivermont, and some new ones up by Raceway (right by the train tracks - can't remember their name). There is also Chesterfield Gardens a little further down 10East. Closer in to Chester proper, you will have the apartments at Chester Village Green. Lots of new shops popping up in the Village. Congrats on your new position, and let us know if you have any other questions!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:28 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,553,508 times
you might want to look at petersberg

Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 AM

onevthoki:
Thank you for your inputs. I am considering different places and get back with additional questions. I saw couple of your posts and was thinking about pm-ing you when I say your post in my thread.

pantin23:
Thanks for your inputs. More info from your end on petersburg will be appreciated since I read somewhere to avoid that particular area if possible.

Also, something out for everyone. I am an asian descendant. How are people tolerant to other races in chester area? I have heard that the chester area is diverse but just want to confirm that.

Let me tell you that I come from Central PA where most of the people found are rednecks(atleast that is what they call themselves). I have lived around with them and they all are pretty good people. I have had occasional high eye brows but that was just out of curiosity and once I break communication barrier they are all pretty laid back and accepting of nature.

I want to make sure if that is the case in Chester region.

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,151,634 times
I jokingly say that Chester and Enon are the stepchild of Chesterfield County, so you'll do just fine!! :-) Lots of variety here in Chester!!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,191 times
Guys,

I am finalizing on staying in the area around route 10. Is this a good decision? Is this a safe area?

Also I am considering the following apartments for rental purposes.

1. Rivers Bend Apartment
2. Chesterfield Gardens
3. Rivermont Crossing Apartment

What do you think about the choices I made? any critique suggestions would be helpful. If you have any other apartments on your mind other those listed above, please advise.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 13,182 times
If you are going to work in Colonial Heights you should really look into where I live in Old Towne Petersburg, a 5 min drive to Colonial Heights. I wrote this a few days ago to another poster, hope it helps you =)

I am a VA transplant here for work. Old Towne Petersburg has really become a wonderful place to live in the last 2 years. A short walk from my apartment at Mayton Transfer Lofts are plenty of diverse restaurants that you can yelp (Saucy's walk up, Demolition Coffee, Wabi Sabi, Brickhouse run, Andrade's), there is a YMCA directly next door to the lofts which has some classes. There are plenty of Antique malls and vintage shops in the neighborhood and we also have a Farmer's Market every Wednesday and Saturdays. Mayton Transfer Lofts is directly across the street from a Police Station and I feel comfortable living here. There is a garden, a dog run and a lot of professionals that live here including a lot of military personnel.

If you go a quarter of a mile Colonial Heights is one exit away with all the big store essentials (Target, Walmart, Sam's Club etc). It is a 30 mins drive to Richmond, 30 mins to Emporia and an hour and a half to VA beach. I think so many people knock Petersburg because it is a predominantly black neighborhood, but if you go to Old Towne Petersburg, it is a diversed and safe area to live. People need to stop living in a black and white world we are in 2012 people !!!! Fear causes a lot of ignorance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond