Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2007, 02:34 PM

23 posts, read 126,283 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My wife and I are considering to move to Richmond (because of job), we have a 2nd grader daughter. We're "foreigner" but professional. I know that Glen Allen/Henrico and Midlothian/Chesterfield are the better areas, we can affort buying home in Midlothian, or even perhaps in Glen Allen.
Anyway, I've heard generally people around Richmond are not very much used to see people from other countries! We're not necessarily looking for a particular community from our country, we're very happy with Americans (now have lived in the US for 6 years), but in some areas people are not very "foreigner friendly"! Can you tell me how are foreigners treated in Richmond area in general? I mainly appreciate input from people from other countries who have definitely had similar concerns/challenges in the US.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 11,085 times
I don't believe Richmond as a whole is anti-cultural or closed minded to other people. On my street there are 2-3 Hispanic households (including mine) and a group of 4 guys from India that live together, and they don't seem to have much trouble. I'm first generation here so that might have something to do with it, but IMHO if you choose to live in the west end or Midlothian you would be welcomed. The only place you may get the "cold shoulder" is from ignorant and low educated folks who no one would want as neighbors anyway

Shaun Kuhn
Moderator cut: contact info removed

Last edited by Yac; 01-23-2007 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-23-2007, 03:27 PM

23 posts, read 250,361 times
Default You'll be just fine

Dear Alien,
My sister and her husband are physicians and live in Midlothian. They are African-American and have lived there for over 10 years. This is a very nice area and their neighborhood is VERY upscale. They have NEVER had a problem with racism or not feeling welcomed. When my husband and I visit them and go to their children's games, birthday parties, etc., I must say that everyone is extremely friendly. Alot of the social events we've attended when visiting have turned out where we are the only minorities and people have always been very nice. You'll be fine. Midlothian/Chesterfield areas are so family oriented and you'll enjoy those areas. Salisbury is a very good community. Check it out. Best wishes.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:25 PM

27 posts, read 144,705 times
Default Bunk

Richmond is like every other city in the US. It is absurd to believe that there is an "anti-foreigner" bias. The faculties of all the universities in Richmond are diverse as are the major hospitals, etc. I believe there is greater bias and prejudice in Northern Va and the Washington DC metro are than exists in Richmond.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
I have to echo that you shouldn't have any problems being a foreigner in Richmond. The Richmond area has become pretty multicultural over the past few years so people are accustomed to foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: