Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 05:57 PM

14 posts, read 32,456 times

Advertisements

HI
does anyone have any info on the Mataocoan High school. We have been looking into areas that were in other high school districts and someone suggested the Highlands but I havent heard anything about the schools..
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:44 AM

6 posts, read 17,736 times
Fairly new High School in the rural part of the county of Chesterfield. They are technically ahead, just depends on if you want to live that far out in the county or closer in to everthing. I went to the school looked it over and we kept our daughter in Manchester HS. My other daughter will be going to Cosby HS as we are building in Summer Lake and using a great builder.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:33 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,155,933 times
My kids are still in elementary school, so unfortunately I cannot specifically comment on Matoaca. With that said though, I can give you an opinion on Chesterfield schools as a recent relocation.

We relocated here almost a year ago from Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania. The kids did a mid-year move (1st and 4th grades) at the time, and I was a bit worried as to how it would go. Luckily they did great. Some of the things that helped us were the County School website (Chesterfield County Public Schools) where they will link you with the individual school's website. I also checked Great Schools (Matoaca High School - Chesterfield, Virginia - VA - School overview) to see what was said about Matoaca there. The school did not rate too well with the site, but the parent's and student's reviews were good. Also, look into the Specialty Centers. Depending on the interests of your student, they can apply to go to a different high school that focuses more on particular subjects; sorry I can't give more info on that, but still learing myself. This board gets some excellent feedback though, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

Are you coming in from another part of Virginia? Another item that mayl be of interest are the SOL scores; some people use the test scores as a quantifier in how they pick schools.

Anyway, hope this helped a bit! :-)

Old 11-24-2008, 04:50 AM

Thanks, No we are moving from New York, eastern long island,thanks for the info, I have pretty much seen the same thing, I think we are looking into the area of Cosby High School. Where did you end up?
How do you like it?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:26 AM

We ended up in River's Bend on Route 10 between 95 and 295 (which puts us in Thomas Dale zone). It is really convenient for my husband since he is at Ft. Lee. Definitely beats the commute from Fredericksburg to DC, since that is the reason we moved. I have heard good things about Cosby; the one thing I will caution though is that the county does redistrict schools fairly often. Not sure when the next high school is scheduled to open, so you may want to contact the county on that.

If you have any more questions let me know...

Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 AM

i was wondering about that. so kids get shuffled after starting in a school? Does the county share that with you on the ongoing plans of whats pending?

Old 11-24-2008, 10:35 AM

I just looked on the county school website and saw that they have some information on the Capital Improvement Plan (Capital Improvement Program (http://www.chesterfield.k12.va.us/CCPS/About_CCPS/CIP.htm - broken link)). That may give you an idea of what is in the future. I know there are some upgrades planned to current schools to hopefully increase capacity. And as to the shuffling, depending on how much longer the kids have in that school, they may grandfather them in (but it may be under the condition parents provide the transportation).

I just saw where your husband will be at St. Francis. Definitely a growing hospital and the Bon Secours network is very good. I just started with them as my PCM this month.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:07 PM

thanks for the info, that was very helpful... there is so much to take into consideration. yes St Francis was very impressive!

Old 12-01-2008, 12:43 AM

9 posts, read 38,857 times
Talking Check out Powhatan ...

We live in Powhatan and our daughter has attended the schools for 6 years. The schools are the greatest - the teachers and coaches, the kids and the parents. Hard to believe, but no drugs, no bullying. Really! ... Actually, I have an extensive comment on the Powhatan City Data Forum. St. Francis is our hospital and where our physicians offices are. Love it! Let me know if I can help with any Powhatan info. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 AM

I am trying to find your info, Thanks for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond