Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,590 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a move to Richmond in the near future. I saw a cute bungalow on a street called East Laburnum. Would that be the East End of Richmond or the North Side?? In any case, does anyone know if it is considered a safe/respectable location? I'm sold on Richmond -- just want to find the right area for me. And I absolutely love bungalow homes. Thanks for any information or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 02:20 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,758 times
It depends where you are on Laburnum. The closer you are to the airport, the worse it gets. I use to work out near the Richmond airport and one day my car broke down on the way in. Instead of taking a risk and getting back on the highway, I decided to take Laburnum into town. I think I must have past 4 cops arresting people. There are plenty of other nicer areas than Laburnum. Laburnum is probably the last place I would want to live. Hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:04 PM

34 posts, read 120,729 times
What about S. Laburnum? We were there this past week and it looked decent. Is that considered Varina, a little past the Varina HS? I am also moving to VA and interested in safe areas to live.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,064 times
There is nothing wrong with living on S. Laburnum. I lived over by Nine Mile Road for 2 decades. It's a nice quite area (compared to the rest of the city) and we actually loved it. As long as you stay away from the Fairfield side you're fine. It's mainly a older community with people that are for the most part retired or a couple of years away from retirement. If you have kids Adams is a GREAT school!! It's one of the few places where neighbors still look out for neighbors (mowing each others grass, checking up on each other.. actually speaking when they see you) it is a good place to raise kids. The only negative thing is the crime this year has been higher FOR THE AREA. I suspect it is coming from the Fairfield apartments area spilling over.

I'm not sure why you say the closer to the airport the worse it gets it is completly the opposite from my experience. It may or may not change now that the brand new mall is there but so far the closer the better. I have no idea how LIVING in Varina is but I atteneded the high school and I would imagine you'd have a hard time getting a good nights sleep if you live in a subdivision. It seems the area is getting more and more destroyed by new homes. The school WAY over populated because they are throwing up new subdivions every where possible.

I've lived by Foxhill and by Mechanicsville. I can tell you if you want to leave your doors open without worries south laburnum by Thornhurst is a excellant community. The other half (Glenspring Road) of laburnum is good also but if you value your safety you will stay as far away from fairfield apartments, I think are called Seven Gables now. It really is like night and day depending on which side you pick.

The area past Nabisco towards Pocahauntas parkway is considered Varina.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:42 PM

34 posts, read 120,729 times
Thanks for all the great information. You seem to know alot about the area which is very helpful to those of us who aren't in the area yet. Is the neighborhood you referred to above racially diverse? I am asking because we are a biracial family and want to feel safe/comfortable where we live. Also, do you know what road they are building the new Post Office plant on? I heard its 'by the airport' but don't know where.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:27 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,064 times
Yes very racially diverse. It is more of a African American presence in the community as with the entire city. There are whites also but not as many. About 50 years ago the area was mainly whites but it's changed a lot. Your kids will be fine when I was over there no one was like that towards your race or anything. Out in Varina there are many more races that attend the schools also.

I'm not sure about the new post office it might be at the new mall (http://theshopsatwhiteoakvillage.com/ - broken link) I've never heard of them building one until now.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,590 times
Thanks for all the great info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond