Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Virginia Department of Transportation budget cuts, 13 road construction projects slashed, over 2 billion dollars slashed from Virginia State budget

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:47 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,718,050 times

Advertisements

Roads fall victim to budget cuts in Va.
Posted: Dec 18, 2008 06:00 PM
Updated: Dec 23, 2008 06:37 PM
Video Gallery <1>

Roads fall victim to budget cuts
1:57

Virginia Headlines more>>
Schools increase nuclear-education offerings
Vendors look to cash in during inauguration
Cash-strapped states cut juvenile justice programs
News Minute: Here is the latest Virginia news from The Associated Press
Search for missing plane crew in Guyana reduced
Battlefields big business for Va.
Va appeals court orders new trial in slaying case
Hampton U to study skin disorders
Wallops Island to benefit from NASA contract
UVa clinic pilots rural health care project

By Beth Danziger - bio | email

RICHMOND, VA (NBC12) - Driving Virginia roads is about to get a whole lot worse and the state transportation secretary says hard times are to blame. The state cannot afford to spend as much as it wanted to on repairing and building new roads.

The only word to describe the news VDOT released Thursday is grim. Two billion dollars has been cut from its budget in the past year. Another $1.3 billion was slashed Thursday.

But, the transportation secretary says he's staying optimistic thanks to alternative transportation.

Drivers describe afternoons at the intersection of Interstate 295 and the Mechanicsville Turnpike in Hanover as dangerous. There are so many people trying to take this exit -- cars backs up onto the highway.

"It's continued to get worse as years have gone by," says Hanover County administrator Cecil Harris, Jr.

That's why Hanover has been pushing for a Turnpike expansion project for more than a decade. It finally made VDOT's six year plan list until Thursday.

The four phases were just some of 13 projects that got axed in the Richmond area due to budget cuts.

On Thursday, the state transportation secretary explained to the board that the only thing saved in the six year plan are projects that were already under construction and ones with roads and bridges deemed unsafe.

The Huguenot Bridge replacement project is part of that list.

Transportation secretary Pierce Homer says, "We are only doing the barest necessities."

Homer admits the cut bucks could force road and bridge closures in the future because they won't be safe to travel. Which is why transportation leaders have kept rail and public transportation projects funded.

They're hoping residents will start looking to use those alternatives instead.

"Ride a bus to work that is actually a good act of civic pride and you might save a little money in the process or you can work from home one week," says Homer.

VDOT is also looking at forcing localities to do better planning when it comes to connecting roads to help with maintenance costs.

The transportation secretary also says these recent cutbacks could be just the beginning. If the economy gets worse more projects could have to go.

--------

Are you kidding? The streets are already HORRIBLE. Have any of you driven downtown!? My god if you have any kind of stomach problem or any life threatening conditions chances are you're not making it alive to MCV alive unless you're airlifted!

Seriously what do they do with the taxes in this state? We can't afford to keep roads open, we waste money suing the school board in Richmond, we cut GRTC Buss staff and lines.. I realize the economy is bad but this has been going on LONG BEFORE hand.

Just wondering but has any other state came out and said "We can't afford to repair the roads anymore. So when they are unusable we will just have to shut them down. Oh by the way it is up to local communities to come together and put together a decent plan if you want to keep using roads. We won't really pass your plans though because we need more money to support [another new stadium/redesign the airport again in 2009/money for school board aka their purse]."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 05:21 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,721,524 times
Not sure if you pay attention to national news, but most of the states are in the red right now and almost all of them are cutting something. Unemployment is high so states are collecting less income tax and spending is down considerably so sales tax collections have fallen. It's not going to get better any time soon. Virginia actually is in decent shape compared to some states because the current employment situation is better than most parts of the country. That being said, I agree about the roads but Gov. Kaine has made it clear that this area is going to have to take care of that by itself (e.g., increase sales tax to pay for it). These state governments never plan for a rainy day. They expected tax revenue to continue increasing and when it didn't they had little wiggle room. I'd rather be here than New York, though where people are already taxed like crazy and the state is still broke and looking for a bailout. Our state tax burden is not relatively high and our situation right now is not dire.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 9,237,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post

RICHMOND, VA (NBC12) - Driving Virginia roads is about to get a whole lot worse and the state transportation secretary says hard times are to blame.
I have lived in a variety of states and VDOT is by far the worst on this. I-64 all by itself is a glaring example - people have made entire careers out of "working" on it (and screwing it up). I also recall the brilliance of them re-paving a highway in excellent shape near my place when the residential road off of that which you take to get to my place was still GRAVEL. The explanation? "Different pots of money." Brilliant guys.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Not sure if you pay attention to national news, but most of the states are in the red right now and almost all of them are cutting something. Unemployment is high so states are collecting less income tax and spending is down considerably so sales tax collections have fallen. It's not going to get better any time soon. Virginia actually is in decent shape compared to some states because the current employment situation is better than most parts of the country. That being said, I agree about the roads but Gov. Kaine has made it clear that this area is going to have to take care of that by itself (e.g., increase sales tax to pay for it). These state governments never plan for a rainy day. They expected tax revenue to continue increasing and when it didn't they had little wiggle room. I'd rather be here than New York, though where people are already taxed like crazy and the state is still broke and looking for a bailout. Our state tax burden is not relatively high and our situation right now is not dire.
How long have you lived here? I have to go through the city almost on a daily basis. On the rare occasions I even have to go both up and down both main an broad. I have been here for over 15 years. The streets have been like that long before this recession. Because the roads are in such bad condition I've had to get extra alignments to my car. I now take alternate roads but I still fear that now with this news some roads may be even more dangerous. I'm not sure about New York or the job market but I hope they do whatever is best here for our roads.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
How long have you lived here? I have to go through the city almost on a daily basis. On the rare occasions I even have to go both up and down both main an broad. I have been here for over 15 years. The streets have been like that long before this recession. Because the roads are in such bad condition I've had to get extra alignments to my car. I now take alternate roads but I still fear that now with this news some roads may be even more dangerous. I'm not sure about New York or the job market but I hope they do whatever is best here for our roads.
On and off since 2001. I stay in Short Pump and the roads seem fine. I did have my car realigned after we moved back in May, and I get unlimited free alignments for 12 months. Maybe you should consider that. Honestly, if this is such a horrible place, why waste your time here? Life's too short. Anyway, Obama's stimulus package may have some federal funding for some of these projects so maybe there is hope for the local roads.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
On and off since 2001. I stay in Short Pump and the roads seem fine. I did have my car realigned after we moved back in May, and I get unlimited free alignments for 12 months. Maybe you should consider that. Honestly, if this is such a horrible place, why waste your time here? Life's too short. Anyway, Obama's stimulus package may have some federal funding for some of these projects so maybe there is hope for the local roads.
So because I want decent roads it means I must think this is a "terrible place?" Sure if you stay in the "good" parts of town you are not going to have problems. I do not have the luxury of only staying in Carytown or Short Pump. I often have to travel from Varina, to Mechanicsville to Midlothian and chesterfield for me and my family's needs. Often the roads are riddled with potholes, cracks or dips and abandoned train tracks. It just reminds me of riding on a train when I go downtown.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
So because I want decent roads it means I must think this is a "terrible place?" Sure if you stay in the "good" parts of town you are not going to have problems. I do not have the luxury of only staying in Carytown or Short Pump. I often have to travel from Varina, to Mechanicsville to Midlothian and chesterfield for me and my family's needs. Often the roads are riddled with potholes, cracks or dips and abandoned train tracks. It just reminds me of riding on a train when I go downtown.
No, I'm referring to your other posts. Maybe when you file your state taxes this your you should send some extra money along as a contribution for road improvement. Personally I'm very satisfied with the services I get relative to the taxes we pay.

BTW, what would you prefer to cut? Medicaid? Schools?

Last edited by sls76; 01-04-2009 at 06:09 AM..

Old 01-04-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
No, I'm referring to your other posts. Maybe when you file your state taxes this your you should send some extra money along as a contribution for road improvement. Personally I'm very satisfied with the services I get relative to the taxes we pay.

Didn't realize this thread was about my "other posts" but ok.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:27 PM

All I'm saying is it is unrealistic to expect things like this will improve in the current economic climate. Does it stink (for people like the OP who are inconvenienced)? Yes, but so do a whole lot of things going on right now. It is possible that part of the Obama stimulus package may go to improve the local roads, but I doubt the state will do much that's not deemed absolutely necessary until the economy (and tax revenue) recovers.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:51 PM

3,645 posts, read 9,237,049 times
Quote:

Welfare. And hold your breath on Obama touching that.

Sorry "bad economy" is a weak excuse. VA has sucked in this area for many many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond