Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 03:04 PM

5 posts, read 31,162 times

Advertisements

I am coming in for the inauguration and was wondering what the closest Washington, D.C. metro station is from Richmond, Va. Maybe someone has a good suggestion on the best way to get from Richmond to D.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 03:20 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,699,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipm003 View Post
I am coming in for the inauguration and was wondering what the closest Washington, D.C. metro station is from Richmond, Va. Maybe someone has a good suggestion on the best way to get from Richmond to D.C.
I used to commute to DC and I drove to the VRE station in Fredricksburg and then took the metro from the VRE station in DC to my job. I guess you could also take Amtrak from Richmond (or Ashland).

Old 01-12-2009, 03:31 PM

931 posts, read 3,804,298 times
Springfield

Old 01-12-2009, 03:38 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,699,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
Springfield
I wouldn't attempt to drive to the Springfield Metro on inauguration day. I tried it one time when I was living in Richmond and working in DC. I left Richmond at 5:30 AM and once I got north of Fredricksburg I hit a wall of traffic. 95 will be a parking lot on the 20th.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,750 times
I, too, did the DC/Richmond commute for years. I lived on Capitol Hill and I have seen the city fill up and empty out many times: Million Man March, Pope, many 4th of July events and other inaugurals, etc. I think this one will be different for security reasons, and I think it may be wise to get into town as many days before as you can and plan to stay for as many days after as you can.

I also noted this story about traffic, highway closings, and mass transit in last week's Richmond Times-Dispatch: Highways To Be Closed For Inauguration | Inauguration 2009. According to the story, "Virginia officials said motorists will not be able to use the northbound lanes of Interstate 395 and the eastbound lanes of I-66 inside the Capital Beltway on Jan. 20."

That pretty much rules out Springfield. This is not looking like a one-day event unless one lives inside the Beltway, and pretty much within walking distance of the Mall.

Best of luck, though, and enjoy.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 31,162 times
thanks for your help

Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,151,301 times
If you drive to Fredericksburg for the VRE, keep in mind that the parking situation there will also be limited. You might want to look in to finding a bus with space that is heading up to DC.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 PM

931 posts, read 3,804,298 times
You're better off riding a bicycle on Jan20th.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:00 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,318,757 times
There is a GRTC bus from Richmond to VRE in Fredericksburg for $6 each way. That would certainly save you the hassle of driving back and forth.

Check for schedules and times at www.ridegrtc.com

Old 01-13-2009, 05:04 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,151,301 times
This information (taken from The Freelance-Star) might help you also...

VRE selling tickets for Inauguration Day

Virginia Railway Express selling Inauguration Day tickets to walk-in customers in Alexandria

POLL: What are YOU doing on Inauguration Day?
BY KELLY HANNON

Date published: 1/13/2009

BY KELLY HANNON

Several thousand tickets are still available aboard Virginia Railway Express trains on Inauguration Day, and customers can now buy tickets in person.

VRE will sell tickets to walk-in customers from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. through Friday at the agency's Alexandria headquarters at 1500 King St., Suite 202.

Customers must pay for the tickets by check or credit card.

Tickets are still available by mail, but with swearing-in of President-elect Barack Obama just a week away, VRE will charge a $16 express shipping fee to ensure tickets arrive before next Tuesday.

Each round-trip Inauguration Day ticket, before shipping, costs $25.

Mail orders must arrive in VRE's offices by Thursday. A mail order form for tickets is available on vre.org. Inauguration Day train schedules are also available on the Web site.

When ticket sales began, there were 8,750 round-trip tickets for Inauguration Day service, said Mark Roeber, VRE spokesman.

At least 5,000 tickets had been sold by yesterday afternoon, Roeber said. The number was likely to grow by the close of business. "We've had a very large volume of both calls and walk-ins today," Roeber said.

That leaves roughly 2,000 to 3,000 tickets for sale.

He advised anyone hoping to buy tickets to act soon.

"There are now a few Fredericksburg trains that are getting close to sold out, if not sold out by now," Roeber said. "We're now seeing activity really start to pick up."

VRE is a good option because many highways and bridges into Washington from Virginia will be closed for the swearing-in.

In Maryland, Inauguration Day tickets to ride MARC trains have sold out, according to the Maryland Transit Administration.

Kelly Hannon: 540/374-5436
Email: khannon@freelancestar.com

Date published: 1/13/2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond