Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 23,445 times

Advertisements

How does one commute from the northern Virginia state border (I-95 corridor) to Richmond? We live in New Jersey and are planning to move to the Richmond area. My husband will commute back to New Jersey once a week for three (3) days in the office. We are doing this to be close to family as he travels internationally.

I went to school and lived in the D.C. area for 13 years, and I cannot believe the traffic on I-95 south! We have made the trip three (3) times, and it took us between 7 to 9 hours to reach Richmond! 4-5 hours is from the Virginia state line going south! It takes less than 4 hours to reach the VA state line from New Jersey!

What about Rte. 301?

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 03:50 PM

267 posts, read 1,675,000 times
We go I-95. I've done the drive from Loudoun County (Ashburn) to Richmond in 2.5 hours leaving my home at 7 am. It's all a matter of when you go. Also, 301 is heavy too and has lots traffic lights.

I'm not sure when you're doing the drive, but 4 hours sounds like afternoon rush or Saturday heading with the beach traffic in the summer.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:40 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,514,758 times
Other than drive, you have few choices. Some people do commute to N.VA from Richmond since the price of housing is so much lower. You can take the interstate which is a mess in N.VA; you can take a daily bus that commutes to DC from Richmond (I think only one a day), or drive to Fredericksburg and take a commuter train with a limited schedule. There is no light rail outside of the DC area and no plans for it in the future other than wishful thinking. Transportation is a huge problem in VA with no plans to fix it other than bandaids and budget gimmics.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:29 AM

Transportation for commuting does not usually include a 90 mile commute. Very few people commute that far hence the lack of transportation choices. I know a couple who commute two hours every day from PA to VA. The lifestyle they think they have in PA is eaten up by the commute every day. I do not get that.

The OP's question wasn't about just commuting between Richmond and NOVA alone, it has to do with the commute for her husband as he goes to NJ. Anyway, the point is, timing is everything when it comes to I-95, but you can say the same thing about lots of highways. Also, I think I-95 between DC and Philly is terrible also.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 23,445 times
Is it that we have bad luck? We have been up/down I-95 on a Thursday at 2:00 p.m., a Friday at 2:00 p.m., a Saturday at 12 noon, a Sunday afternoon at 12 noon, a Sunday evening at 7:00 p.m. -- none of these trips were during beach/summer season.

When we are travelling north on our return, I-95 South is a parking lot.

Are there 'windows of opportunity' to travel I-95 South? I believe it to be more of a problem than the northbound side.

What are good times to travel? I realize beach/summer season will make Fridays and Sundays difficult -- we live at the Jersey shore and have experience with Friday/Sunday during season.

I appreciate as much detail as possible.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:20 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,263 times
the only answer i can give you is to drive at night midnight to 6 am.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:29 AM

I-95 south is best in the morning, before 10, every day of the week. The problem is you were traveling at 2pm during the week which is the very earliest of rush hour, and people heading home to be there when their kids get home from school as well as construction and truck traffic. Noon on the weekends is just busy because everyone is out running errrands, going to sporting events with kids, etc. ANd Sunday evening at 7 pm is just crazy because all those people who left Friday for the weekend are now coming home. Sunday evenings are one of the worst times to use I-95.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond