Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 11:26 PM

5 posts, read 38,110 times

Advertisements

I know this topic has been discussed here and there all over this forum, but I would like to see a more direct comparison in an updated fashion. We are looking to buy a house either at the west end or Midlothian, our budget is under $500K so we are able to find nice and beautiful houses at both places. For the same amount of money, we feel the price difference is around $50-100K cheaper at Midlothian. Both have excellent schools, where west end may have a slight upper hand. We have lived in the west end for about 2 years now, and our 4 year old son will go to school in a couple of years. We like the west end, but being able to save 10-20% on mortgage would be nice too. We are still hesitating whether we should ever consider moving to Midlothian, which is pretty nice too, especially if we can find a water front property. I don't know whether I will miss the conveniences of being able to shopping like in my back yard here at the west end.

Any input is highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 04:46 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,150,066 times
Since you are already living in the West End, I think you already have a good feel for the pace and quality of life over there. I agree with your comment on the school systems, both Chesterfield and Henrico have excellent reputations. I will say that it seems (from the media reports) as if Henrico schools are in a little better position financially with the budget woes other systems are facing. Start looking into what the districts offer as your children age, at the middle and high school levels. I know that the specialty centers are a big draw for Chesterfield students at the high school. You also may want to look into your commute from both areas. If you are a member of the YMCA you may want to start visiting some of the other Y locations. That may also help. Just some thoughts from someone who has relocated quite a bit (thank you Uncle Sam!). It's a very personal decision and I wish you and your family luck!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:19 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,150 times
Honestly I could be happy in either place. We live in Wyndham now which I love and the elementary school is unbelievable. For me it comes down to my husband's commute. He works in Innsbrook so we live in the West End. If he worked in Chesterfield I'd scout out the best elementaries there and live in Midlothian. I guess if he worked in the city I'd be torn although at this point I'm so comfortable in this area I can't imagine leaving. Also, I do agree with onevthoki that Henrico county is currently in a better financial situation. Sorry I can't be much help, but you can't really go wrong with either choice.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
That is a really good problem to have (having to pick between two great areas). I am partial to both and have in-laws in both.

However, in my opinion you nailed the essential difference when you said, "shopping in my backyard." In the West End, it's very very mature and built out and pretty much anything you'd want is a short drive.

Midlothian also built out but to get to basic stuff may be another 5-10 minutes. Just a slightly different design philosophy-it's not like Midlothian is NOVA or anything.

Also ask yourself: how close to downtown/the Fan do I want to be? If you never/hardly ever go there, Midlothian. If you go there a LOT, probably West End.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:06 AM

418 posts, read 1,049,044 times
I live in Midlothian and we love it here. We don't live far out so convenience to downtown etc is not an issue. (I mapquested the mileage from Short Pump TC to my son's apt in the Fan and it is 3 miles farther from my house in Midlo than from the mall, not significant). We looked all over the west end when we were looking and we felt you got more house, more land, less traffic, great schools for less money in Chesterfield. Chesterfield is huge so you can get pretty far out from the city and conveniences. We wanted to be close so we live off of Robious Road - 5 minutes to CTC, 10 to Stony Point and 15 to Short Pump. Henrico seems to be a little better off (this year anyway) financially as far as school budgets go but Chesterfield didn't seem to get hit too badly once the dust had settled.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:47 AM

283 posts, read 652,893 times
If you are happy in the west end, I suggest you stay there. The cost of selling, buying and moving will negate much of the savings you plan on realizing. Why take a chance in order to save a few bucks. If you like Midlothian better or cannot afford the west end then it is a different story. I have lived in both places and I prefer the south side. The building of 288 is slowly but surely decreasing differences between the two areas and in my opinion real estate price differences are and will narrow.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:42 AM

599 posts, read 1,653,114 times
West End all the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond