Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,536 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just excepted a job that will move me from the lovely economy of Metro Detroit to Richmond I am a 25 year old single male that enjoys living near the action (or at least a short walk/bus/cab ride from it). I lived in Chicago's north side (Lincoln Park) for three years and loved that style of crowd (yuppy). The only thing that complicates the matter is I have a 30lbs puggle named Scooby Doo that will be moving with me. So my idea place would be some sort of old style house with some sort of yard (not sure how he would be able to handle an apartment). That being said where can I live that is near the bars and pet friendly? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 06:49 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,360 times
Fan, Oregon Hill, Jackson Ward to name a few

Old 09-25-2009, 07:19 PM

157 posts, read 569,163 times
We just moved here end of June/early July from metro Detroit. My first thought was the Fan district, too. I'm not sure what things are like in Chicago but here, you have areas of town, all within the same "city". It confused me for a while, I kept trying to look up things like Innsbrook, VA (which doesn't actually exist- it's an area of town).

Old 09-25-2009, 07:20 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
I would definitely say the Fan or possibly the Museum District, the Fan being the top choice.

The Fan has some of the most beautiful, well-kept historic houses. The whole neighborhood (with few exceptions) is exceptionally well kept for its age. It is very walker/pet friendly with quite a few small urban parks that are great for animals. Most of the houses do have small yards, but you're not going to find big lots like you would find in a suburban subdivision or anything. There are a few nice bars, restaurants, cafes, and mom-n-pop eateries in the neighborhood as well.

Additionally the Fan is bordered by shopping in the Carytown neighborhood, museums in the Museum District, VCU campus and downtown Richmond. You're pretty much a 5-10 minute bus ride to any of those locations (though depending where you are in the Fan, you could easily walk to any of them).

I would say the Fan is probably the closest Richmond has to Lincoln Park.

Some differences though: The Fan is a lot more residential than Lincoln Park. You wont find any of the big name stores (Ralph Lauren, Betty Johnson, Pottery Barn, etc) in the Fan. There's really not a big selection of retail at all, in that sense. However, like I said, Carytown is right next to the Fan which supposedly has close to 300 small, homegrown restaurants and shops.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:20 AM

542 posts, read 991,178 times
Possibly Shockoe Bottom, or Church Hill? Another note, Richmond though still a major city, is still very small compared to Detroit and especially Chicago. If you come expecting that same level of entertainment and shopping you will be disappointed. The closest place comparatively would be the DC area 1.5 hrs up 95. Don't get me wrong, Richmond is a nice city and does have things to do. It's actually very underrated in my opinion. Just come with an open mind and I hope you enjoy it here.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:33 PM

18 posts, read 41,426 times
They are re-establishing a baseball field and building all kinds of nice homes and apartments not far from Boulevard which takes you to all the fun spots downtown; there is even a movie theatre nearby that sells wine and beer from the tap. It is an area that is going to growing in a positive direction and house values will probably rise as a result. Are you thinking of purchasing a home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: