Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 10:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,392 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are considering moving the Richmond area. I am looking at employment in Dahlgren, and she'd like to attend Virginia Commonwealth University. What would be some good options for places to look to rent?

We'd like to go for either a downtown-style wharehouse apartment, or a house with a yard.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 PM

915 posts, read 1,627,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPB-KLL View Post
Hello,

My wife and I are considering moving the Richmond area. I am looking at employment in Dahlgren, and she'd like to attend Virginia Commonwealth University. What would be some good options for places to look to rent?

We'd like to go for either a downtown-style wharehouse apartment, or a house with a yard.

Thanks!
my thoughts would be that you are going to commute regardless if you are working in dahlgren and wish to live in the Richmond area. If she wishes to attend VCU, academic campus would suggest the Fan or Museum district. Easy access to VCU and easy access to interstate for you, plus beautiful architecture and choices of duplexes etc with yards as well as the more warehouse-type apartments or just grand old lady type apartment buildings. since you didn't mention kids, I'm assuming none so that's not an issue. just my two cents worth.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:31 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,152,721 times
Oh, wow! A commute to Dahlgren from Richmond would be horrendous! I would look maybe in Southern Spotsylvania County or Northern Caroline County. That would put both of you 45-60 minutes from your desired location. Does your wife need VCU for a specific reason? If not, she might want to look at Mary Washington in Fredericksburg. If she liked MWU, then you could look at downtown Fredericksburg, which has a similar feel to parts of Richmond. Just a thought...

Last edited by onevthoki; 04-21-2010 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: Added information

Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 AM

42 posts, read 115,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
Oh, wow! A commute to Dahlgren from Richmond would be horrendous! I would look maybe in Southern Spotsylvania County or Northern Caroline County.
Actually, it's not that bad if you're already up for driving more than 30 minutes. From Ashland, it would be about 55 minutes, and traffic issues (i.e. lights, buses, backups) going up 95/Rt 207/301 towards Dahlgren are basically non-existent.

My husband does this commute daily and we know several folks in the area who do it as well. I also work in Dahlgren 2 days per week, and so discussions regarding the Dahlgren commute are frequent at work and in our household!

Here's the deal. Lots of folks who work in Dahlgren live fairly far away because, let's face it, Dahlgren is not a top choice of locale for various reasons. Most of my co-workers live in Spotsy and it takes them 45 minutes to get to work in normal conditions; but that means that their urban center is basically Fredericksburg. Traffic around the F'burg area is pretty intense, esp. near Central Park in the afternoons. We used to live in that area, and we really were not impressed with what the locals called "Fred Vegas" which was all traffic and chain stores (okay - will note an exception for the downtown area). For us personally, the extra minutes to drive to Dahlgren is worth the trouble since we really like living in Hanover, being near Richmond, and having a very easy commute.

I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding rentals, but I do know a little about the subdivisions. It's not clear from your post if you definitely want to live IN the city, or would be open to Ashland and/or northern Mechanicsville. If you would be open to the northern Mechanicsville/Ashland area, I would suggest you look around there. Ashland has a nice and somewhat eclectic small town atmosphere and I would suspect there are plenty of rentals in that area. Also, a few miles both east and west of I-95 near Ashland there are subdivisions with sizeable yards. The extra bonus is that Hanover schools are currently ranked 5th in the state by schooldigger.com. In short, we feel like we're enjoying the best of all worlds by staying in Hanover and being able to continue using Richmond as our urban/shopping/cultural center.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2010, 10:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,392 times
Thanks for all the advice so far!

My wife wants a Master's from the VCU Adcenter, and I'd just as soon only have one of us with a long commute. We definetly want to be within easy reach of an urban area. No kids, so that'll make picking a place a little easier.

We're happy to check out both Richmond itself, as well as the northern suburban areas such as Ashland and Mechanicsville.

I'll be visiting the area around the end of May, and I'm very much looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond