Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 03:32 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,732 times

Advertisements

Usually when someone makes these types of threads I try to offer as much help as possible. Now that I'm the one that needs to find a place, it seems like I have no clue where to start. Its a bit overwhelming, and at times frustrating.

For the last few weeks I've been calling and emailing various property management groups and rental owners about possible rental units that I have interest in. Unfortunately, it seems like no one will return my call or email. No matter how much I try to contact them its as if they aren't returning the effort. As if they don't even want my money!!

I've searched craigslist, facebook and every rental site under the sun to no avail. Everything is either far out of my price range (~$700/month for a 1br or studio/efficiency) or the information on the ads are outdated. Sometimes I wonder if the outdated information (advertising low prices that are no longer being offered and deals that have long expired) is an intentional act of deception; I'm probably just a bit too cynical.

City-data members seem to be the most helpful and insightful people when it comes to these types of things. Any suggestions on a suitable and reputable property owner/management company/apartment complex that I should look into? I'm looking for somewhere really close to downtown and VCU and in a safer neighborhood.

I'm confident that the responses I get to this will be vastly superior to the response I've gotten from everyone else I've tried to get help from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 03:43 PM

Additionally, just a quick question:

How much should I expect to pay for electricity? I know it would be difficult to try to estimate that figure with so many variables at play, but I'm interested in hearing the guesses. Assume for a 1br/1ba unit well under 900sf.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:12 PM

29 posts, read 93,357 times
have you actually gone down to the area and walked/drove around?

When I was there I noticed many for rent and for sale signs, and I'm sure that many of those people are likely letting the signs do their advertising and not posting online at all. Go there with a pen and paper and write down numbers off the signs. These are actual existing for rent properties, or the signs wouldn't be there. An online ad can become outdated faster than yesterday's newspaper sometimes. A great many of those properties aren't one family homes, they've been converted into dorms and apartments. I'm confident that if you do this, you will find a place with no problem.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:50 AM

418 posts, read 1,048,486 times
My son lives in this building, at least I think I have the right one....

Gresham Court (http://richmond.craigslist.org/apa/1722060546.html - broken link) He has a 1 BR with his gf, they like it there and plan to stay. They really like the real estate company. Was with River City before and HATED them but this company is really nice to deal with. He pays around 700 for a 1 BR, huge bedroom, nice living area and tiny kitchen. He mentioned most of the year his electric bill is around $35.00, higher in the summer when he runs the window AC unit.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellieb128 View Post
My son lives in this building, at least I think I have the right one....

Gresham Court (http://richmond.craigslist.org/apa/1722060546.html - broken link) He has a 1 BR with his gf, they like it there and plan to stay. They really like the real estate company. Was with River City before and HATED them but this company is really nice to deal with. He pays around 700 for a 1 BR, huge bedroom, nice living area and tiny kitchen. He mentioned most of the year his electric bill is around $35.00, higher in the summer when he runs the window AC unit.
Gresham Court is a really beautiful building in a nice location. At least from the outside it looks very well maintained so I can only assume the inside is just as nice. And a $35 electric bill is a lot less intimidating than I was expecting. With all of the horror stories I've heard about Richmond real estate companies, its nice to hear about someone who seems to like the company they're dealing with. I will definitely look into this.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:36 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,245,461 times
There are some units available at the Georgetown Townhouses on Monument. I think they run about $800. Did you call Thalhimer? Chris Small? They may be able to help you out as well.

I live very close to the Monument area and travel it frequently so if you need anything else send me a DM. Happy to help! I always see For Rent signs going up!

Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
Gresham Court is a really beautiful building in a nice location. At least from the outside it looks very well maintained so I can only assume the inside is just as nice. And a $35 electric bill is a lot less intimidating than I was expecting. With all of the horror stories I've heard about Richmond real estate companies, its nice to hear about someone who seems to like the company they're dealing with. I will definitely look into this.

Thanks.
I double checked with him tonight - electric is 25-40 during the cooler months as heat is included. When you need to use AC it is whatever you use...he only has one unit in the BR so not too bad. He said again how much he likes the company that runs the building - even the folks painting the apartment before they moved in said how great they were. Prices quoted are for 1, $100.00/month extra for another person so his rent is $800.00. He parks on the street and it is a pain but just Fan parking..., things like the monument avenue 10K are not good things...he didn't know where the optional parking was located. His words - after River City "I was caught off guard" by how good this company is. Checking my notes - they also come in and spray for pests every other month for free.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 05-05-2010, 07:11 PM

He also said his apt was really quiet and that at times he was really loud and never had a complaint and he never was bothered by anyone else.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 AM

230 posts, read 757,892 times
My daughter will be going to VCU in the fall. We just finished searching for two weeks for an apartment located closer to campus. Honestly, I must admit that this was one of the most frustrating and eye opening two weeks EVER trying to find DECENT housing close to campus. My daughter and I were appauled at the condition of some of the properties that we viewed. I can't believe some of the management companies/owners of these properties get away with renting to VCU students considering the horrible conditions that we witnessed. What was even worse was the price they were charging for these places. I guess kids get so desperate for housing close to campus that they are willing to take anything they can get. I read somewhere that one particular block of apartments close to campus is called "Hell Block"! We did view Gresham Ct and was not impressed at all. Finally, my daughter has rented a decent apartment from Cary Place (owned/managed by Thalhimer). I was impressed with the rental staff and the condition of their properties - newer and very well-maintained. Yes we are going to pay more for her apartment, but let met tell you it's definitely worth it considering the horrible rental properties we viewed in our search. As a parent I can have piece and mind that my daughter will not be living in a dump!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Yeah Hell Block is a pretty infamous stretch of Grace Street.

I've seen some really attractive prices but I can't bring myself to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond