Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:26 AM

42 posts, read 93,946 times

Advertisements

All,
I'm from Long Island (by way of the last 15 years in CT). Visited Richmond couple weeks ago and really liked what i saw. The Short Pump mall is the coolest mall i've ever seen. I loved Carrytown. It reminded me of Burlington, VT... but warmer.
Drove around school areas (James river, Midlothian, cosby, clover hill) and really liked the area. Quite a few nice homes listed for around 200K. We'll most likely relocate to that area.

Have 2 son's 14 & 11.

I'm in IT (Oracle/ PeopleSoft) but I work from home, so not searching for a job. Just want lower taxes, smaller mortgage, warmer weather, less snow.

Like the relatively short distance to DC, Va Beach, Ocean city

Saw a mention in another post about Einstein's Bagel's (didn't get there). Question: any of you ex-northerner's know of a place to get a Pizza close to what you get in NY/NJ/CT ?? that could be a deal-breaker. I'd be miserable if I couldn't get a decent pizza.

Also, I'm assuming I can get DirecTV MLB & NFL packages to watch the Jets and Mets (even if the latter does casue undue stress) ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM

186 posts, read 471,507 times
I relocated here 5 months ago, from Westchester. So far I have not found a good pizza place, nor a place that will sell pizza by the slice. I understand theres a great pizza place downtown (the name excapes me) which everyone talks about, so maybe's there's hope....

One of thie things I had to scout around for as well, is good bread, the kind with a hard crust. That became a real quest of mine. I did eventually find some at Whole Foods and Tom Leanards (Stew Leanards relative from CT.)

Good Luck in your decision process.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 PM

88 posts, read 188,272 times
Fellow ex-new yorker here. best "feels like i'm back home" pizza is Nonna's in the twin hickory shopping center (in the west end, few minutes from short pump), and Mary Angelo's downtown on cary st. They are both owned by the same people. The cheese is nice and gooey and stringy, versus rubber cheese from everywhere else. Also its the good real pizza crust, not that thick bread like crust (yes, there is a difference!! lol). They do sell pizza by the slice. Nonna's is $2.50 a cheese slice, but the whole cheese pie is only about $12! They have awesome fried calamari too, and great sandwiches, as well as calzones. No zepoles (sp?) or garlic knots tho. Dag i miss those!!

Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM

88 posts, read 188,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluidblonde View Post
I relocated here 5 months ago, from Westchester. So far I have not found a good pizza place, nor a place that will sell pizza by the slice. I understand theres a great pizza place downtown (the name excapes me) which everyone talks about, so maybe's there's hope....

One of thie things I had to scout around for as well, is good bread, the kind with a hard crust. That became a real quest of mine. I did eventually find some at Whole Foods and Tom Leanards (Stew Leanards relative from CT.)

Good Luck in your decision process.
I have recently discoverd a really great thick french bread at walmart!!! They seal it in a paper bag (vs. plastic) for like $1.50!! Its soooo good! Sometimes they are still nice and warm!! Reminds me of the "palagonia" italian bread from the bodegas in brooklyn, except much much better! Pop that bad boy in the oven and the crust in nice and toasty, crusty and crunchy and the inside is nice and fluffy and so delicous!!! Antother good substitue is Ecce Panis bread sold in most supermarkets. Those taste great too, but you have to get the right one cause some varieties are like way to crusty.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:16 PM

42 posts, read 93,946 times
WOW... Stew (er Tom) Leanards in Richmond! The website looks identical to the one's in CT.

And I'll have to check out Nonna's Pizza next time I'm down there. Oddly enough; it's rare to find a place in CT that sells pizza "by the slice". Most places when i ask for it they look at me like I got 3 heads.... must be a NY thing.

thanks guys !

Old 05-18-2010, 03:03 PM

186 posts, read 471,507 times
To Cafecoqui - Thanks for your info. Nonnas is right up the street from me so I will give it a try! Yay, now I am excited!

Tom Leanords is VERY much smaller than Stews! It's about 1/8th the size. They only carry a few things. The produce is very good. They dont have a bakery, nor a hot food, take out section amoungst other departments. So the quality is the same it's just not as big. I spoke to Tom himself and he said he has permission to expand, but has decided not to since the economy is what it is.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,800,092 times
Nonna's. I agree completely. Its off the beaten path but well worth the food. Even the interior makes you feel like your in a old NY pizzaria. But if you need just a couple of slices then head to Pizza Taxi on Midlothain Tpke (across from Lexus). Another good one is Italian Delight in Powhatan.

As to fresh crunchy bread. Whole Foods daily (M-F) around 5pm.

But if you just gotta have the real stuff then there is a Jetblue flight daily to JFK. Be in NY for breakfast and be home in time for normal bedtime.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:13 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,704,798 times
I too second (or third) the Nonna's recommendation. I grew up in CT and frequented a local pizzeria in Norwalk and was spoiled. Nonna's is more casual but the pizza is the best I've found here. I use Tom Leonard's for Boar's Head lunch meat (about $2/lb. cheaper than the other stores), produce, baguettes, potato chips and some meats. Also, the garden center has some great deals. No dancing milk cartons, but some singing dogs. I wish they'd get the ice cream, but it's too small of a store. Between Whole Foods and Trader Joes and the other options (Walmart, Kroger, Martins), Short Pump has lots of options for grocery shopping.

Last edited by sls76; 05-19-2010 at 04:41 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 05:54 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,959,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInCT View Post
All,
I'm from Long Island (by way of the last 15 years in CT). Visited Richmond couple weeks ago and really liked what i saw. The Short Pump mall is the coolest mall i've ever seen. I loved Carrytown. It reminded me of Burlington, VT... but warmer.
Drove around school areas (James river, Midlothian, cosby, clover hill) and really liked the area. Quite a few nice homes listed for around 200K. We'll most likely relocate to that area.

Have 2 son's 14 & 11.

I'm in IT (Oracle/ PeopleSoft) but I work from home, so not searching for a job. Just want lower taxes, smaller mortgage, warmer weather, less snow.

Like the relatively short distance to DC, Va Beach, Ocean city

Saw a mention in another post about Einstein's Bagel's (didn't get there). Question: any of you ex-northerner's know of a place to get a Pizza close to what you get in NY/NJ/CT ?? that could be a deal-breaker. I'd be miserable if I couldn't get a decent pizza.

Also, I'm assuming I can get DirecTV MLB & NFL packages to watch the Jets and Mets (even if the latter does casue undue stress) ?

That was me that suggested Einstein Bagels I spent my first 39 years on L.I. before retiring and moving to Midlothian last year. For a quick slice or a pie try a N.Y. Slice on Midlothian Tpke. I know the owner and he's from the Island also

Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,154,697 times
Someone mentioned the pizza place downtown. You might be referencing Bottom's Up Pizza in Shockoe Bottom near the Canal Walk. Tried it for the first time the other week. They do sell by the slice, but if you ask me, the pizza is way overated and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond