Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 08:13 PM

69 posts, read 144,660 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving into the DC area. We will be working in downtown DC and we are planning to buy a house in Fredericksburg, VA. We are a young couple with two toddlers.
Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea to buy a house in the Fredericksburg, VA area?
We realized during our house hunt that TOO MANY houses were for sales in Fredericskburg. Is it a safe area? How is the school system?
Does it mean homeowners are moving away for crime reason, any other reason?
Any suggestion will be appreciated.

PS: We are also thinking about buying a house in Centreville, VA. Is it safer and better than Fredericksburg in terms of crime rate and school system?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 05:52 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,152,044 times
I loved my time in Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania. We moved because my husband received another job in the Richmond area.

There are several reasons there are so many homes on the market. I think a lot of people in that area got into ARMs and their payments went up beyond their means. And then there are just the number of short sales and foreclosures on the market. BUT, I still have friends in the area and get up there to visit every few months. And what I am hearing is the inventory is decreasing. If you are going to be in the area for at least five years, you should be fine.

As to the schools, mine were in the Spotsylvania system, and I was very happy with it. If you want some recommendations on neigborhoods, give us an idea on what is important to you and your family. Price range, HOA or not, lot size, do you mind cookie cutter, etc.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 AM

69 posts, read 144,660 times
Thank you so much for your quick response.
We admire a newer home (less than 5 years old) located in a safe area with low crime, not too far from the VRE Station as I will be taking the train to downtown DC. We can afford to spend about $300 000 (4 bedrooms house). HOA will be fine as I will need some amenities such as swimming pools, gym, etc...
We have two toddlers, and we would like to live in the Fredericksburg area for at least 10 years. So, it is also important that I find a good place so my children can get to good schools.
We are willing to start a house hunt in the next 2 weeks.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:45 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,003,437 times
The only problem with living in the Fredericksburg area will be the commute to DC....it's a NIGHTMARE! Traffice used to only be bad during the actual "rush hour", but it's gotten to the point where it's rush hour all day long....one small fender-bender can tie up traffic for hours! So, if you decide to do that, figure 2 hours each way for commuting time....I'm not kidding!
As far as the area goes, it's nice, but lots of traffic here, too! The schools are good, and we've gotten alot more stores and restaurants in the last 5 years or so....but again...the traffic will drive you nuts!

Old 05-22-2010, 07:51 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,152,044 times
CB, unfortunately, you are right. The traffic is why we headed a bit south of Richmond. My hubby commuted to the Pentagon. If he could have gotten on at Quantico, we probably would have stayed. Unfortunately they like to hire Marines (understandable), so we headed south to the Fort Lee area - HOOAH!! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond