Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 AM

119 posts, read 339,524 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My family and I currently live in a big East Coast city, and we are tired of the hectic pace and the brutal winters. Aren't we all? Anyway, my wife and I have both visited Roanoke, and think it might be a good place to live due to its beautiful surroundings, outdoor activities, and the very warm people who live there.

One of our only points of hesitation: we are a Muslim family (not strict, but observant), and from reading some other posts here, it seems like it may be a bit iffy for a family of Muslims to prosper in Roanoke. Not because people are racist or anything - there is no evidence at all of that from what I've read online. It's more to do with the fact that there just aren't many Muslims living there. My wife and I have both lived in places where there weren't many Muslims before, but we have a little kiddo now, and we want our kid to not feel like a giant minority wherever we live.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I work as a writer/editor currently, so maybe someone who lives in Roanoke can also tell me if there's a call for anything remotely like this kind of work?

Thank you all in advance for your comments. Can we please keep comments constructive, by the way? I know there are all kinds of people who dislike Muslims for all kinds of reasons, but it would be great if we could keep politics/emotions out of this thread as much as possible. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDreamer View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I work as a writer/editor currently, so maybe someone who lives in Roanoke can also tell me if there's a call for anything remotely like this kind of work?
Always have a job lined up and visit an area yourself before a long-distance move. Always.

As for being a Muslim here....you'll be in a very small minority, but that's going to be anywhere in the USA outside of a major city or Dearborn.

Is there a mosque here (I dont even know lol)? I'd give them a call for some first person observations.

Gotta ask though, why is a "West coast dreamer" living in an east coast city?

Old 03-24-2011, 04:34 PM

261 posts, read 1,271,923 times
Last summer, my wife and I hosted two Indonesian Muslim boys who were visiting the U.S. as part of a citizenship program. We live about 30 minutes outside of Roanoke in a very rural part of Bedford County.

I can't speak about the experience from their shoes (though there was more to factor in beyond religion, such as language and cultural differences), but all in all, the visit was a wonderful experience. I didn't feel like people were looking at me and the kids strangely, and I never felt one bit of hostility -- no matter whether we were in the city or the country, at a baseball game or a diner. We always found plenty to do and were well-received.

Dreamer, you're right in saying that there isn't a large Muslim community here. There's no way around that. But the leaders affiliated with the citizenship program live all around my area, and they are very happy to be where they are.

Not sure that helps, but if you like the area -- and think you can get work -- I encourage you to give it a shot!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:47 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Just curious, but why would you assume a Muslim family would have difficulty
living here in Roanoke over any other similar sized city in America? There are over 65 different nationalities represented here.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
I don't see folks out on the streets of Roanoke wearing tshirts that say "Christian", "Muslim", "Buddhist", "Straight", "Gay", etc, etc.
I do see folks doing their thing... going to church, reading a Bible in a coffee shop, wearing mala beads, out walking with their significant other, etc, etc
My point is that most folks in most places just do what they do, and that there are a lot of different people doing a lot of different things. I think people tend to mind their business, and live and let live. I think Roanoke is basically just as diverse as most other places.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:33 AM

119 posts, read 339,524 times
Thanks for the great responses, everyone. Just as I thought, people in Roanoke are warm and helpful. Here are some of my reflections and responses to your helpful comments:

Kreutz, the reason I'm a west coast dreamer in an east coast city is...wait for it...family. Everyone and their mother (literally) in my family and in my wife's family are out this way. Now that we've established a family, we don't want to be too far afield from them. But I used to live out west, and it's amazing and I miss it a lot.

Roanoker 4, I meant no disrespect at all. I'm sure it would be equally challenging to live anywhere there's a small Muslim population (we have all kinds of different friends--in fact, most of our friends aren't Muslims, but many are--but in a big city like the one we live in, we don't stick out like sore thumbs because there are lots of Muslims around). Again, Roanoke seems like a very accepting place, my concern only lies with the low number of Muslims I've seen discussed online.

PaperTrail--thank you for sharing your experience. It makes me feel encouraged that the people of Roanoke are who I thought they were: laid-back and accepting and curious about other cultures.

J1N--point well taken. That was the vibe I got from the place when I visited: people doing their own thing.

Again, thanks everyone for your helpful comments. I think we'll have to visit Roanoke again to give it another look!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:49 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
PaperTrail, I'm so glad to hear of your positive experience with hosting, I assume it was with Legacy Intl? We have hosted before as well, although for adults, not kids. What a great organization!

WestCoastDreamer, as others have said, you would be in a minority to be sure but I have found Roanoke to be pretty open and welcoming to my nontraditional, nonreligious family. You might want to look into Local Colors, an organization celebrating diversity in Roanoke. They may have some statistics/connections for you so you can talk with local Muslims about their experiences here.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
PaperTrail, I'm so glad to hear of your positive experience with hosting, I assume it was with Legacy Intl? We have hosted before as well, although for adults, not kids. What a great organization!
Yup, it was with Legacy! Last year was the first year we ever did that, and we're planning on hosting again this summer. A very rewarding experience!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:06 PM

24 posts, read 62,944 times
Hi Westcoat,

There are mosques in the area, including the Masjid An Nur Islamic Center, and there certainly are some Muslim people in and around Roanoke. There are a few small Middle Eastern stores, and I've purchased meat several times from a Halal butcher in Blacksburg.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony in Roanoke View Post
Hi Westcoat,

There are mosques in the area, including the Masjid An Nur Islamic Center, and there certainly are some Muslim people in and around Roanoke. There are a few small Middle Eastern stores, and I've purchased meat several times from a Halal butcher in Blacksburg.
Good point on mentioning the Halal stores! There are two on Williamson Road in Roanoke that I've shopped at before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area