Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2011, 08:36 AM

216 posts, read 421,782 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a long weekend trip in the spring. We are looking at Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA at the moment. Any other recommendations for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,808 times
Well, we are going to DC this weekend, YAY! Cannot wait, I need a Beltway fix once in a while & getting to my brother's house is 3-1/2 hours door-to-door, just perfect

A closer option than Charleston/Savannah is Asheville, great town & so much to do.

What do you want to do? Beach/hike/spa/nightlife...?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:29 PM

216 posts, read 421,782 times
Ohhhh the joys of DC!!! Have fun!!

We aren't quite sure what we are looking for. We are not party animals, but do enjoy good food and wine! Neither of us have been to the beach during the "off season" and have heard that it can be quite relaxing. So we are intrigued by that idea.

We hope to narrow our options down to 2 places by December and then start making our arrangments. We also thought of Asheville, NC, so that is on the short list currently.

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM

We have a few more years until we are not on the school calendar anymore and can go to the beach in the off-season. Looking forward to it, as it's cheaper & less crowded, but still with things to do year-round.

My mother lives in Charleston and they've just started running cruise ships out of the local port there. I don't know how much that affects off-season tourism, but you might want to look into whether the weekend you go is the same weekend a cruise ship filled with red-hatters descends on Broad Street

Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Ooh, if you go to Savannah, you should get the book-on-tape of Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil to listen to on the drive!

(now I want to go to Savannah...)

Old 09-28-2011, 04:18 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,057,631 times
Williamsburg is always worth a trip! (We went in June, and kind of regretted the timing - hot hot hot! - but very interesting!! The Jamestown archeology was fascinating....but it was muy caliente!)

Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,829 times
SMOKEY MOUNTAINS, TN. Its just 5hrs from here. Plenty of stuff to do at Gatlingburg
Smoky Mountains - Gatlinburg, TN - Gatlinburg, Tennessee - Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce

Old 10-01-2011, 05:37 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoanokeWahoo View Post
My wife and I are planning a long weekend trip in the spring. We are looking at Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA at the moment. Any other recommendations for us?
That would be a [b]long[b]weekend of driving. Charleston is a beautiful city, especially around the waterfront with its classy southern architecture. To me it has more style than Savannah. Savannah is over an 8 hour drive from Roanoke.
It has a cool waterfront row of restaurants, shops and is laid out in a grid pattern. Paula Deen will welcome you ! To me the Savannah area, including Hilton Head Island is the main attraction to Savannah and not the City itself.
To me Charleston is much closer for a weekend trip and much nicer. Both places are great destinations! The Spring is a great time to travel south. If you are interested in beaches, Myrtle Beach is quieter that time of year with good
prices on accomodations and the beach is one of the nicest(if not the nicest) on the East Coast! Also, check out Wilmington NC in the Spring during the Azalea Festival time. Neat shops, restaurants and other smaller beach resorts in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: