Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 12,646 times

Advertisements

Hi,

(Please note this is a duplicate of my post in the general VA forum...people seem to talk about SWVA in both, so I wasn't sure where to post)

I'm hoping to move to SWVA within the next 6 months-1 year. I'm looking around the Grayson/Carroll county region, though I'm willing to cast my net further in all directions (including NW NC) if I find the right property and it's still in the mountains (trying to avoid horribly hot, humid summers!). I'd like an older house with a lot of character and at least 5-10 acres, hopefully in move-in condition, but it's okay if it's a bit of a fixer-upper. I've been reading this forum with interest, and and have a lot of questions for all of you! First, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good, responsible buyer's agent in the area. I'd particularly like an agent with experience with antique houses, if possible. I'd also appreciate recommendations on house inspectors and contractors, again with experience with much older houses and their problems.

I've looked at a lot of properties on-line and the one I like best so far (obviously without having seen it in person yet - I'm living out of the US right now and won't be able to come and look at properties for about a month or so) is in Mouth of Wilson. Does anyone have any insights on that town or the immediate surroundings? Is it friendly to newcomers, even Yankees?! How hard is it to meet new people, for example through volunteering someplace like the local Historical Society, or just in general (I will probably be working online, at least at first, so I won't meet a lot of people through work)? Is there reasonable shopping (just necessities, e.g. groceries and hardware) within 30 minutes drive? The weather, from what I've read on climate data sites, sounds like I wouldn't need AC in summer if I keep the windows open and run a couple of fans, and that I could get by in winter with mostly wood heat in the fireplaces (the house has a lot of fireplaces), supplemented by some electric. Is that right or am I being wildly overoptimistic?!

Finally, does anyone know what kind of farming goes on around there? The house I particularly like the looks of (as well as several others in the region) seems to border very closely on a farm, and I'm concerned about noisy, smoke-belching farm machinery running all the time or manure fumes wafting over...since I'm moving out there partly for peace, quiet and clean air!!

Sorry this is so long - thanks in advance for your answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,383,304 times
I don't know that area and so went for some info. Population is declining in both Grayson and Carroll counties. I don't know how far folks have to travel to medical services or where they head - up to Abingdon or Marion or possibly down in to NC.

I would assume that much of the farming is raising beef cattle in open pasture, not on feed lots so heavy aroma of manure would not be a problem. I don't know if the area is under consideration for uranium mining but I would check that out before moving there.

Last edited by Yac; 12-16-2020 at 01:07 AM..

Old 03-11-2013, 10:22 AM

7 posts, read 12,646 times
Thanks, zugor - I hadn't considered the uranium issue, so I'll definitely look into that!

Old 04-30-2013, 02:14 PM

9 posts, read 16,802 times
Cattle mainly as far as I know. recently purchased in Troutdale, Grayson County. Nearest hospital, civilization etc is Marion, about 30 minutes. If farming is not your thing, look closer to Galax. Moderator cut: please read our terms of service and wait with recommendations till you have at least 10 posts

Last edited by Yac; 05-02-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 9,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving to SWVA? View Post
Does anyone have any insights on that town or the immediate surroundings? Is it friendly to newcomers, even Yankees?! How hard is it to meet new people, for example through volunteering someplace like the local Historical Society, or just in general (I will probably be working online, at least at first, so I won't meet a lot of people through work)? Is there reasonable shopping (just necessities, e.g. groceries and hardware) within 30 minutes drive? The weather, from what I've read on climate data sites, sounds like I wouldn't need AC in summer if I keep the windows open and run a couple of fans, and that I could get by in winter with mostly wood heat in the fireplaces (the house has a lot of fireplaces), supplemented by some electric. Is that right or am I being wildly overoptimistic?!

Finally, does anyone know what kind of farming goes on around there? The house I particularly like the looks of (as well as several others in the region) seems to border very closely on a farm, and I'm concerned about noisy, smoke-belching farm machinery running all the time or manure fumes wafting over...since I'm moving out there partly for peace, quiet and clean air!!

Sorry this is so long - thanks in advance for your answers!
Good your working online, there really arent many jobs in the area besides some blue collar stuff.

On newcomers, its a small southern good ol boy town, backwards mentalities. You will be considered that damn yankee until you prove yourself, thats the reality.

On the weather, its a lot cooler than say the richmond area, but can still be hot. You might find trouble getting to sleep in the summer with no ac. Still gets humid in the summer. Many nights will be in the upper 60's with some humidity and opening a window just doesnt help much. Some occasional breaks where it will be in the low 60's to just under 60 at night but those become rare in july and august. June, July, and August your gonna have to hang on and hack it out but the rest of the months are fine. Winter can be brutal if there is a cold snap with single digit temperatures and negative wind chills but usually only lasts a few days. Weather changes rapidly.

You have some shopping to get you by in galax, only walmart in the area is next to galax too. If you need some decent medical care, going to have to travel to Wake Forest in winston salem about an hour away.

I think your over blowing the farming issue, nothing to worry about.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:36 AM

497 posts, read 969,788 times
We owned property in Grayson County for 8 years. Sold that place through Morton Realty, Independence, VA, second generation family owned and very knowledgeable of Grayson County and surrounding properties. Mouth of Wilson is a small community (named for the location: mouth or headwaters of Wilson Creek). Grayson County is an outdoor paradise, very rural and mostly low income. It's a mountainous and hilly area, farms are small, mostly grazing, but also large Christmas tree farms. Visit Grayson-Highlands State Park.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:32 PM

9 posts, read 16,802 times
We just bought in Troutdale....We used Gary Moore from Mountain Sky Properties in Wytheville. Amazing attentive guy! I can't wait to leave CAPE COD for grayson County VA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area