Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:52 PM

87 posts, read 334,322 times

Advertisements

I am a transplanted northerner (Lake Placid New York) and now live in Virginia Beach. I am looking to buy a vacation condo in the woods of Virginia and am visiting Roanoke this weekend after skiing at Wintergreen. I want to find a hotel that will provide access to cool things in Roanoke plus be close to the mountains. Price is a minor issue. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 08:45 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,327 times
If you want to stay at probably the nicest hotel, just check out the Hotel Roanoke in Downtown. It's in a wonderful location and is within walking distance to everything. A few suggestions for less expensive hotels..... Look at the Amerisuites at Valley View Mall. Thats also in a nice area and a walk to shopping and dining. Finally, I would look at the Holiday Inn near Tanglewood Mall. Roanoke doesn't have an overabundance of hotels, but you should find a fair amount. You also have a Days Inn i believe, off of Peters Creek Road that is pretty nice. If I'm not mistaken, there is another Days Inn off Orange Avenue near the civic center. Days is always pretty inexpensive.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:50 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,329 times
Wink Try this!

There's a brand new Residence Inn by Marriott off of Hershburger Road near Valley View behind the wdbj 7 news office. Its really nice looking and was just opened a few months ago! It also shouldn't be too expensive! Here's the website.. Residence Inn Roanoke Airport: Spacious suites and amenities for longer stays ...Also I would suggest to stay away from the days inn on orange ave.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
Default Cool Hotels

May I suggest The Natural Bridge Hotel? It has a lot of "Ol Virginia" type charm with the Bridge across the street. South of Roanoke visit Smith Mountain Lake with a place called Bernards Landing. Its on the water with beautiful views of the mountains. West of town in Pembroke look at Mountain Lake Hotel(where movie "Dirty Dancing" was filmed), very nice dining room with pink tablecloths. East of town in Bedford look at Peaks of Otter Lodge, a rustic type place on the Blue Ridge Pkwy with a fabulous Sunday buffet. In the immediate Roanoke Valley, the Hotel Roanoke is always the place to stay with its access to downtown attractions. Most of the nicer chain Hotels and restaurants are located in the Valley View Mall area in the north side.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:58 AM

87 posts, read 334,322 times
Default Thanks . . .

Thanks for such quick and precise information. I am thinking that I might like to stay downtown (although the cool locally owned hotels look great). Is downtown generally safe? Is there an area (besides Orange Ave. which was noted above) that should be avoided? Thanks again.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:28 AM

102 posts, read 526,637 times
I don't know what hotel is downtown besides the Hotel Roanoke but the area around the international food court is very safe through the day and into the early evening...I've been told. I stayed at the Hotel Roanoke and it is awesome. A convention center is attached to the HR and you can just walk across an enclosed walkway and be downtown. I strolled downtown alone with my 3 little ones and felt safe. There were some obvious homeless individuals but they were not panhandling. Besides the food court being right there, you have the Farmer's Market and several museums, locally owned stores/restaurants...
I have no idea what the Hotel Roanoke cost because we were there for an interview and luckily didn't have to pay the bill. They've remodeled atleast half the rooms, last I heard. I don't know if they offer any special rate on the older rooms. It never hurts to ask. Maybe someone knows if there is another hotel choice that would put you walking distance to the neatest area of downtown. Enjoy your visit!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
Default Another downtown access Hotel

Unfortunately the Patrick Henry Hotel downtown was recently closed. It was always the Second choice when the HR was not available. There currently seems to be need for another downtown Hotel with the increase in tourism expected next year when the Art Museum opens. HR is a very busy place so make reservations early!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM

567 posts, read 2,140,979 times
Hotel Roanoke and Holiday Inn Tanglewood are two of the hotels that local businesses use to put up interviewees, if that helps any.

I'd recommend Hotel Roanoke over Holiday Inn (never been there) just because of location in the middle of everything downtown, plus being a Doubletree Hotel, it is very nice inside with neat rooms and good service. Plus you can't beat the warm chocolate chip cookies upon check-in. DELICIOUS!

The Holiday Inn is in the middle of everything on Electric Road, so there is "stuff" around. I've never been there, but DH stayed there.

Can't go wrong with Hotel Roanoke if you can swing the price!

And yes, stay away from Orange Ave.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:49 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,058,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbehson View Post
Thanks for such quick and precise information. I am thinking that I might like to stay downtown (although the cool locally owned hotels look great). Is downtown generally safe? Is there an area (besides Orange Ave. which was noted above) that should be avoided? Thanks again.
I am not normally a B&B type person, but on our trip to ROA last fall we stayed at the Rose Hill Bed and Breakfast - it is very close to downtown - in an area close to downtown called Old Southwest - with lots of old restored homes - right across the street from a park - great hospitality and great breakfasts.

Check it out!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,329 times
Smile You name the price!

I forgot to tell you.. my apartment can be rented out nightly.. you name the price.. I am willing to sleep in the car for the night!! :-) Just kidding of course!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area