Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 01:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,454 times

Advertisements

So my husband just got a job offer in Floyd, VA and we currently live in Panama City, FL. We are trying to figure out the best place to live, my husband would like to stay within 25 miles from Floyd but I found a house that I like that's in Bent Mountain. According to the research it looks like Cave Spring would be the schools, the problem is that's a 45 minute drive and I am not sure how the travel time would be in the winter.
I was wondering if there were some folks out that there could suggest other places to reside that we could get 10+ acres and be zoned for good schools. Right now my daughter is in fourth grade but we plan on making this our permanent home.
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 04:30 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,064,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy277 View Post
So my husband just got a job offer in Floyd, VA and we currently live in Panama City, FL. We are trying to figure out the best place to live, my husband would like to stay within 25 miles from Floyd but I found a house that I like that's in Bent Mountain. According to the research it looks like Cave Spring would be the schools, the problem is that's a 45 minute drive and I am not sure how the travel time would be in the winter.
I was wondering if there were some folks out that there could suggest other places to reside that we could get 10+ acres and be zoned for good schools. Right now my daughter is in fourth grade but we plan on making this our permanent home.
TIA
If the highway to Floyd is impassable then ain't nobody getting to work. These main highways are #1 priority. As long as you are within reasonable proximity to the highway, it would be do-able.

It is really (IMHO) all about your temperament. There are people who make the opposite drive (Floyd into Roanoke) all the time - and think nothing of it - but that would drive me nuts!

Cave Spring schools are definitely above average, and this would give you much greater access to the amenities of the city. (Don't know about Bent Mountain Elementary particularly.) Maybe someone else can speak to the possibility of Floyd County Schools. Christiansburg is also a reasonable drive with plenty of amenities.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:05 PM

238 posts, read 338,547 times
I live in Roanoke and I have traveled the route 221 to Floyd. It is no fun due to its high speed, curvy, narrow lanes. You are traveling over a mountain. Please come here and drive the distance and then decide if this is for you. My suggestion is
Christiansburg is closer to Floyd. It is located in Montgomery County. They have good schools there! Good Luck!!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardner222 View Post
I live in Roanoke and I have traveled the route 221 to Floyd. It is no fun due to its high speed, curvy, narrow lanes. You are traveling over a mountain. Please come here and drive the distance and then decide if this is for you. My suggestion is
Christiansburg is closer to Floyd. It is located in Montgomery County. They have good schools there! Good Luck!!
Thank you both for your response...I did look at Christiansburg because I saw that someone else had suggested that area, so I did some research not all the schools ranked nearly as high as I thought they were going to. It looks like the elementary and middle schools are good but not the high school. This is why I was hoping that I would get a little insight from some of the locals there.
The company my husband will be working for flew up both up there this past April and I fell in love with the views (it reminded me of NH).

Old 09-21-2015, 06:21 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,155,400 times
My husband has worked in Floyd for the past 18 years and we live in Christiansburg. His commute is a straight shot down Route 8, 20 miles/30 minutes. We have talked about living in Cave Spring or Bent Mountain (because I prefer Roanoke to Christiansburg) but I think the commute would be too unpleasant especially in bad weather. The schools are not a concern for us as we are child-free. I don't know if there are 10-acre lots in C'burg. What else is important to you, other than good schools and acreage? Where is he going to be working?

Old 09-24-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
My husband has worked in Floyd for the past 18 years and we live in Christiansburg. His commute is a straight shot down Route 8, 20 miles/30 minutes. We have talked about living in Cave Spring or Bent Mountain (because I prefer Roanoke to Christiansburg) but I think the commute would be too unpleasant especially in bad weather. The schools are not a concern for us as we are child-free. I don't know if there are 10-acre lots in C'burg. What else is important to you, other than good schools and acreage? Where is he going to be working?
I noticed the driving distance seems much more feasible from cburg. The most important thing to me are good schools but I also want a safe place for me and the family. It looks like other surrounding areas might provide us with some acreage but it looks like the only schools that rank pretty high are in the Roanoke area. I know that sometimes online reviews could sometimes be off a little and wanted to hear from some locals that know more about the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area