Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 07:37 AM

4 posts, read 16,315 times

Advertisements

We're taking a day trip to Rocky Mount to get a feel of the area. (We're looking into relocating next year). I'd like to take my son to SML while were in the area. Any suggestions of must sees in either area? What's the best way to access the lake? (Should we look for a specific park)

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 09:10 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,663,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indmtns View Post
We're taking a day trip to Rocky Mount to get a feel of the area. (We're looking into relocating next year). I'd like to take my son to SML while were in the area. Any suggestions of must sees in either area? What's the best way to access the lake? (Should we look for a specific park)

Thanks guys.
There's nothing to do in Rocky Mount outside of a couple of parks. That's a big problem here...not much for the kids to do outside of school-related activities.
From Rocky Mount, go out Tanyard Rd/Franklin Tpk and follow the signs for Booker T Washington monument...you'll drive through the Westlake area and to the Bridgewater marina. There's an arcade and some shops there, and you can feed popcorn to swarms of giant carp at the dock.
For something to do, drive up to the Mill Mountain Zoo in Roanoke. My 10 year old dug it. We all did!

Old 05-10-2008, 01:28 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,203,026 times
SML is quite nice. I'd take him to the state park for some fishing and swimming, and maybe some short hikes. Could also do a cookout. They have nice cabins and camping there, if you are up for that.

You could also rent a pontoon boat - Bridgewater Marina rents them, and the state park does certain times of year. Its not cheap, but I'd imagine taking some lunch and tooling around the lake, and putting in at a private cove for some swimming off the boat could be fun for all! If you want to rent a boat though, get there EARLY.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:36 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,194,287 times
Franklin County has a really nice tourism site now:

Welcome to Franklin County

There is the Smith Mountain Lake Community Park, it's in Franklin County about 40 minutes from downtown Rocky Mount:
Franklin County Parks & Recreation - Smith Mountain Lake Community Park (http://www.franklincountyva.org/parks/park_sml.htm - broken link)

It would be a much shorter drive than over to the lake state park in Bedford County. The Booker T. Washington national monument is a nice place to take a tour but if you're limited to one day maybe just hit the lake instead.

There are nine large parks in Franklin County:

Franklin County Parks & Recreation - Parks (http://www.franklincountyva.org/parks/parks.htm - broken link)

Four or five blueways:

Franklin County Blueways (http://www.franklincountyva.org/parks/blueways.htm - broken link)

I'm with J1n, Mill Mountain is a fun zoo!

If you're looking into Franklin County / Rocky Mount and you're family oriented then don't miss the YMCA on Technology Drive. We're family members and really enjoy it. Lots of sports programs, a good gym, a fantastic indoor pool (with a 45x30 ish warm water wading pool next to the lap pool), gyms (with a basketball court in the Essig building specifically for kids 12 and under with some high tech flooring), dance and arts classes. The Y also has the 40 acre Grassy Hill nature preserve.

If you're into racing then check out www.callawayusa.com.

We live in the Boones Mill area on our horse farm and you're welcome to stop by with the family for a visit. Just contact me through my blog (Sean’s Horse Farm and Family Blog).

Roanoke has great kid-centric museums downtown. The science and art museum is a fun morning outing and you can grab some lunch downtown. Roanoke downtown has a neat bohemian vibe; it's hard to explain, you just have to experience it on an afternoon. Saturday afternoon is best because of the market.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Old 05-11-2008, 07:32 PM

261 posts, read 1,273,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
There is the Smith Mountain Lake Community Park, it's in Franklin County about 40 minutes from downtown Rocky Mount:
Franklin County Parks & Recreation - Smith Mountain Lake Community Park (http://www.franklincountyva.org/parks/park_sml.htm - broken link)

It would be a much shorter drive than over to the lake state park in Bedford County.
Hey now! Don't you be steering people away from the lovely sights and sounds of Bedford County. We want the tourism, too, ya know!!

I'm just messing with you.

Sean's right. SML State Park would be a cool place to visit, but you're looking at at least an extra hour onto your day, which, if you're trying squeeze in a lot to see and do, probably wouldn't make it practical for your first time to area.

But I will add a vote for Mill Mountain Zoo. I'm "all growed up" and definitely had a fun time there. I'm sure your 10 y/o would as well!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:35 PM

5 posts, read 22,023 times
Franklin County is full of rednecks who look at you funny if you are wearing khakis and a button down. I hate that place.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:37 PM

I hate to disappoint you ripple82 but when you weren't paying attention Franklin County became the fastest growing county in the Roanoke metropolitan area. It's 2007 median household income is catching up to Roanoke County. Yes, there are poor folks in Franklin County, but not more than in any other county in the Roanoke area. Franklin County district schools are performing AS GOOD AS Roanoke County schools, currently presumed by most to be the "gold standard" of the area. Furthermore, the 3rd grade SOL performance in Franklin County is actually HIGHER than it is in Roanoke County. Franklin County also outperforms Botetourt County going by the same 3rd grade SOL results (much to the dismay of many aging and increasingly irrelevant realtors going by 1990 statistics).

Lastly, there are plenty of khakis and button down wearing folks in Franklin County. There are more every month. They're the folks who are buying $25K/acre 5 acre lots from developers in northern county or the $400K country houses with 1.5 acres. Maybe they're looking at you funny for a different reason.

Sean

Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM

Default Thank you!!

Thank you guys for the great responses!!

I'm finishing my teaching degree in Radford and am considering moving to Rocky Mount after I graduate. I thought it would be a good idea to become accustomed with the area before making any big decisions. Your responses certainly sweeten the deal...

If we moved out there, my son would probably attend Heritage Academy (its the only Christian school I found in that area on the net). I think the next closest is in Roanoke, but is a little out of my range

I wonder if anyone has had any experiences with the private schools in that area.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 PM

Both my girls attend North Cross in Roanoke. We're in the country about 5 miles west of the town of Boones Mill. North Cross has bus service out here and we meet it in Boones Mill; once our girls are in the bus they have a 25 minute drive to/from school, which I suspect is less than the bus ride times for most kids in the public schools in the county. I know of one girl who is now in 6th grade that transferred from the Heritage Academy to North Cross but I have no first-hand knowledge of the school. The new Faith Christian campus is right off 220 on Buck Mountain Rd in the Clearbrook area of Roanoke. About a 30 minute drive from the north side of Roanoke.

We love the academic richness of North Cross, its welcoming community of parents and faculty, the athletic programs, and the curriculum. They have a pretty strong financial aid program. Also, if you were to get a job teaching at North Cross then your kids would attend school for free

Sean

Old 05-22-2008, 04:38 PM

Default Thank Sean

Thanks for info - I'm glad you were able to find a such a nice school for your girls. I'm going to check out North Cross now.

All the best!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area