Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM

9 posts, read 19,581 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are moving to VA from FL within about a month or so, probably around the 1st week of May, but no later than the 20th. I was hoping that some people on here could give me a little insight. He got a job in Boones Mill, but I think it is closer to Rocky Mount (I'm not at all familiar with the area, we were there for one day over Christmas for the job interview, and that was it), the job is on Bonbrook Mill Road. When we move up we'll be renting for a while until we learn enough about the area to buy. Any suggestions on good places to rent, or listings of rentals, other than Craigslist? We do have 2 cats, and it should be within a reasonable driving distance to his job. We were hoping to not go over the $700 range, lower would be better. We're looking for something clean and safe and as nice as we can expect for that price range, not a junk hole! : ) We would love to find something private rather than a complex, but will do the complex if necessary. If anyone wants to tell me about the different areas and where we might want to lean towards, I'd love to hear all about it! On Craigslist many people assume only locals read their posts, so they just list a street or intersection, or I've read a lot of things like "old sw, raleigh court, grandin village, salem, wirtz...", and I don't really know how close any of these are, what's good, etc. Sorry this was so long, and again, I am welcoming any and all input about the area, as well as any suggestions on where to live. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:34 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,196,041 times
If you're looking for a rental in the Boones Mill / Bonbrook Mill Road area, the best place to look is:

The Franklin News Post - News from Rocky Mount, Virginia

For the most part you'll find rental homes rather than apartments in the Boones Mill area, because it's semi-rural to rural. Rocky Mount has apartment complexes but I've not heard many good things about them. Anything for rent in Roanoke will be a 20+ minute hike to Bonbrook, so that's something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Old 04-11-2009, 09:17 AM

192 posts, read 632,391 times
Get a map - or do a mapquest from your husbands work address. You could find a great place to rent in town, but Wirtz-Rocky Mount, Boones Mill are closer and it depends what you want your life to be outside work. You could enjoy the lake on weekends without much of drive if you live close to work. Or you could enjoy the lake and our great city if you live in town. But consider the commute - it's not bad - but you need to be certain it's not going to become as issue. Also - if you choose an area to rent that you examine first - you will get to know people and perhaps be a "leg up" when you're ready to purchase. I've known too many folks that don't think a 20 minute commute is a big deal until it's a daily ritual. I have suggested the mapquest idea before - with great results. Come back to us when asking the "type" of commute. For instance 220 is not as dangerous as 81 - yet there are many, many tractor trailers and accidents are a regular occurence. (I don't have stats on the # of accidents) I have never thought twice about driving it, but I grew up here. I have spoken to many people who didn't grow up in the "mountains" who find it very intimidating. It's not steep - it's just a bit winding in places. I can tell you that, though I don't dread the drive (of course I don't drive it daily) I also pay very close attention. Oh! Don't - whatever you do - speed through Boones Mill!!!!!!
Follow that speed limit CAREFULLY!!! I hope this helped a little bit. Best of luck!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:21 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,665,472 times
You could check out the Knob apartment complex in Rocky Mount. We lived there for a year. When we started out there, it was less than lovely, but towards the end of our stay there it had quieted down and we made some good friends of some good neighbors. The Knob is is a "garden apartment" complex run by F&W Management. (Avoid at all costs their other complex in Rocky Mount - Candlewood.) There is also a pretty nice complex up behind the Hardees next to the highschool...don't remember it's name...seemed quiet and pretty nicely kept. None of these places are huge sprawling apartment complexes, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area