Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:51 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,848,403 times

Advertisements

I frequent some of my favorite restaurants in the valley & depending on how much cash I have, I tip them accordingly. I dont want to add tip on my credit card. Sometimes if I dont have any cash I dont add the tip & try to cover it during my next visit. This has happened to me more than once at 2 separate restaurants (soooo tempted to add the names but afraid my post will be deleted). In one restaurant the waitress would check my receipt & come after me to add the tip & in another restaurant they just added tip on their own. Did this happen to anyone else? I didn't want to come across as cheap so I approved it anyways but was really mad at them for harassing patrons for tips. These are small local restaurants who dont have a website to file a complaint so not sure how I should bring this to management's attention without confronting them & making a scene. Maybe I could write a letter to them but not sure if management is also involved in this. Is there any local consumer complaint office in our area where I can complain about this practice? They are not doing anything illegal as I approve the transaction but still its not acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 05:08 PM

955 posts, read 4,102,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I frequent some of my favorite restaurants in the valley & depending on how much cash I have, I tip them accordingly. I dont want to add tip on my credit card. Sometimes if I dont have any cash I dont add the tip & try to cover it during my next visit. This has happened to me more than once at 2 separate restaurants (soooo tempted to add the names but afraid my post will be deleted). In one restaurant the waitress would check my receipt & come after me to add the tip & in another restaurant they just added tip on their own. Did this happen to anyone else? I didn't want to come across as cheap so I approved it anyways but was really mad at them for harassing patrons for tips. These are small local restaurants who dont have a website to file a complaint so not sure how I should bring this to management's attention without confronting them & making a scene. Maybe I could write a letter to them but not sure if management is also involved in this. Is there any local consumer complaint office in our area where I can complain about this practice? They are not doing anything illegal as I approve the transaction but still its not acceptable.
Sounds pretty cheap to me. Servers in restaurants depend on their tips. If you can't afford the tip, you probably shouldn't be in the restaurant.

Last edited by Rtom45; 08-02-2013 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 PM

2,285 posts, read 4,090,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Sounds pretty cheap to me. Servers in restaurants depend on their tips. If you can't afford the tip, you probably shouldn't be in the restaurant.
Yeah you really kind of have a choice - either put the tip on the credit card - or make sure you carry cash - the third option of saying "I'll just tip 'em next time" probably isn't the wisest choice!

Old 08-03-2013, 05:13 PM

696 posts, read 1,433,804 times
1. Don't eat at full-service restaurants if you don't want to tip.
2. Speaking directly with the server and/or the manager is not the same as causing a scene.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:03 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,670,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Sometimes if I dont have any cash I dont add the tip & try to cover it during my next visit.
If I left a full-service restaurant without tipping (would never do it), I wouldn't go back for fear of my food having "extra ingredients" added to it. Even if you have the intention to double-tip to cover your last visit too, you likely will have already eaten something nasty. And no double tip can reverse that.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,604,388 times
Wouldn't it be nice if waiter types were just paid a realistic wage and it was just factored into the cost of a meal?

We can dream...

Old 08-06-2013, 10:49 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,483,186 times
Default This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Don't go out to eat if you can't afford to tip. It isn't the server's fault the law allows their boss to only pay them $3/hr or whatever it is. They are trying to make ends meet just like everyvbody else.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,482,435 times
I'm thinking the OP wouldn't like it if her boss suggested paying her "next time" when the boss has extra money.

Waiting tables is hard work and they deserve a decent tip (assuming the service was good).

Old 08-06-2013, 01:55 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,670,265 times
Hey, just out of curiosity... if you go to one of the Chinese buffets where the waiter/waitress seats you, takes a drink order, keeps your drinks filled and table cleared, and gives you your check...

What do you tip them? Same as in a full-service restaurant?

Old 08-06-2013, 05:46 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,482,435 times
I do usually leave a regular tip because there are frequently fewer wait staff for buffets so they have to cover more tables. They are also usually helping replenish the buffet, getting the drinks, clearing the plates etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area