Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,808 times

Advertisements

So we're hanging out with some non-Roanoke friends this weekend and I want to give them some local treats. Are there local beers? Sodas or kid drinks? Snacks? Something like Route 11 chips maybe. Wine would be ok too so recommendations are welcome but a wine tour would be a trip in itself. This weekend is a beer weekend =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
So we're hanging out with some non-Roanoke friends this weekend and I want to give them some local treats. Are there local beers? Sodas or kid drinks? Snacks? Something like Route 11 chips maybe. Wine would be ok too so recommendations are welcome but a wine tour would be a trip in itself. This weekend is a beer weekend =)
Hit the Roanoke Natural Foods Co-op...they carry local stuff I believe.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:24 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
This resource might be useful:

Star City Brewers Guild - Homebrewers of the Roanoke Valley - Home

Sean

Old 08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
j1n

Quote:

This weekend you say?
Check this (http://microfestivus.squaresociety.org/home.asp?page=Home - broken link) out.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:49 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,455 times
Well, okay. Starr is in Charlottesville, if you call that "local." Shock Top is actually a confusingly-marketed Anheuser-Busch product (hardly local or micro, "brewed in Colorado"), as is Skipjack (brewed by Anheuser-Busch in Williamsburg -- which IS in Virginia), and Red Hook (good old dependable Red Hook).

Stick to the Starr and have fun.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:08 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,188,010 times
Being a Vermonter transplanted to the Roanoke area I'm pleased that many of my Roanoke friends who are fans of micro brews prefer Vermont brews

I read recently in the Roanoke Times that an old building in Roanoke is being converted into a micro-brewery? Anyone hear about that?

Sean

Old 08-07-2008, 07:04 PM

246 posts, read 782,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
I read recently in the Roanoke Times that an old building in Roanoke is being converted into a micro-brewery? Anyone hear about that?
Yeah, the Patrick Henry Hotel--story upon story upon story of BEER!

Hadn't heard that one, but somebody please fill us in.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM

696 posts, read 1,428,808 times
mmmmm ... beer =)

Bummer that the closest "local" beer is from Charlottesville. Thanks for the ideas --- the co-op does have the Starr beer, plus some local table wines from Salem and Meadows of Dan. j1n, that festivus looks like fun! If we were going to be in Roanoke we'd definitely do that!

A friend told me Awful Arthur's is planning a brewpub, and here's a cached businessweek article on Roanoke Railhouse Brewing Co.:

Microbrewery still on tap [The Roanoke Times, Va.]

The proposed Roanoke Railhouse Brewing Co. will sell beer to restaurants and bars through a distributor, in keg form and in a unit equivalent to one-third of a keg.

The company plans to blend beverages under two brands, Roanoke Railhouse Brewing Co. and Blacksburg Brewing Co., on a contract basis. It also will sell the brew on a retail basis to the public and hold tasting tours.

But it isn't brewing yet.

Steve Davidson, president of Roanoke Railhouse, is awaiting federal and state licenses to make and sell beer. He applied for the federal license in May. Once he receives it, he'd like to start manufacturing beer this month.

Still, other details for the new microbrewery are going forward.

Last edited by Yac; 08-08-2008 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: Shortened, copyright protection.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
j1n

Quote:
mmmmm ... beer =)

Bummer that the closest "local" beer is from Charlottesville.
There's a microbrewer out of Blacksburg...closed currently as they search for a new location for the business.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:42 AM

50 posts, read 173,529 times
I believe they opened a micro brewery in downtown Lynchburg if I'm not mistaken. Near the new hotel.

Lynchburg dining | Craddock Terry | Lynchburg Virginia Hotels

I haven't been to the brewery, but the restaurant is excellent although pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area