Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 943 times

Advertisements

What is the level of resident cooperation with mask wearing in public places in Roanoke? I live in Florida which is practically a war zone on masks. You can be confronted in the grocery store or at the gas station for wearing a mask, even when you are minding your own business. My daughter owned a tea shop and was constantly trying to get customers to wear a mask in the store. It’s really stressful here, so I stay at home most of the time. I am ready to relocate to a cooler climate in the mountains and hoping for less Covid confrontational situations. I really like the idea that Virginia state government follows CDC guidelines to protect their residents, unlike here in Florida. I know Covid is here to stay, but I can move to a new place to get a little more peace in my life. Roanoke looks like a lovely city to make a fresh start for a retiree. I like the posts on here from people who have relocated from Texas. It certainly doesn’t need to be perfect, but hopefully better than Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 03:42 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,286,328 times
There will certainly be fewer confrontations here in VA/Roanoke. There are still plenty of people with strong feelings one way or the other on the mask issue but there are no mandates in place here except for things like medical offices and hospitals. Businesses can put up signs requesting customers wear one but cannot make anyone wear one. You can then ask them to leave which is the right of a business but if they refuse you would need law enforcement intervention which few businesses want to deal with. Florida is in a world of hurt (my home state) right now and hopefully someone or something finally steps up and intervenes.

But wearing masks here in rural VA is still happening by a lot of folks but certainly not all of them so if you want to move here and see everyone wearing them you will be disappointed.

If you like hustle and bustle then Roanoke is for you as it has grown over the years. If you want quieter with a very nice and historic downtown you should look at Staunton or Lexington.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:41 AM

2,285 posts, read 4,087,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If you like hustle and bustle then Roanoke is for you as it has grown over the years. If you want quieter with a very nice and historic downtown you should look at Staunton or Lexington.
Just to be clear…that would be “hustle and bustle” as compared to Staunton and Lexington!

But I have never had anyone “confront” me for wearing a mask - in your average grocery store there will be plenty of folks wearing and plenty not wearing - unless you are at Earth Fare or the Co-op!

I sub teach at middle school and high school and everyone is compliant - though you have to keep reminding the kids not to let their masks turn into chin straps! A new form of sagging - haha!

Old 09-09-2021, 07:59 AM

2,285 posts, read 4,087,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viewsonic1 View Post
Can't wait for you to leave Florida. Unlike what Virginia has become, we value freedom and personal responsibility here.

I think the attitude you'll encounter in SWVA on this issue will disappoint you. Roanoke is a dot of blue in a sea of red.
Bless your heart…Roanoke is neither blue nor red - looking at the whole metro the elections tend to run fairly close to 50/50 - my county is about 75/25 red.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:04 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,274,505 times
I was in Roanoke and Blacksburg in August before school started and in Blacksburg saw a lot of mask wearing, but in Roanoke only saw some workers wearing masks and no one walking around wore masks.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:38 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,628,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainweaver5 View Post
What is the level of resident cooperation with mask wearing in public places in Roanoke? I live in Florida which is practically a war zone on masks. You can be confronted in the grocery store or at the gas station for wearing a mask, even when you are minding your own business. My daughter owned a tea shop and was constantly trying to get customers to wear a mask in the store. It’s really stressful here, so I stay at home most of the time. I am ready to relocate to a cooler climate in the mountains and hoping for less Covid confrontational situations. I really like the idea that Virginia state government follows CDC guidelines to protect their residents, unlike here in Florida. I know Covid is here to stay, but I can move to a new place to get a little more peace in my life. Roanoke looks like a lovely city to make a fresh start for a retiree. I like the posts on here from people who have relocated from Texas. It certainly doesn’t need to be perfect, but hopefully better than Florida.
You have to go by the CDC designation of high transmission areas,

https://wset.com/news/coronavirus/ma...sion-areas-cdc

Stores like Walmart have posted signs referring to the designation and what it means for masking inside the store.

Delta variant seems to crowding out all other variants. All the variants emerged from countries where they weren't vaccinating the population. Sometime new year, this could die down as people have built up immunity to Delta.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:08 AM

193 posts, read 158,204 times
Quote:
Can't wait for you to leave Florida. Unlike what Virginia has become, we value freedom and personal responsibility here.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:47 AM

Quote:

I think the attitude you'll encounter in SWVA on this issue will disappoint you. Roanoke is a dot of blue in a sea of red.
I can only assume you live in Fla? Well I am Florida born and still have family all over the state. I have been in VA forever and while I do not enjoy the state turning blue in many places I'd stay and deal with it. As I am not a lot older than you I've come to realize politicians on both sides have lost their simple minds with Florida being no exception. The governor you have their has proven to be certifiably insane and many of my conservative relatives still there realize Fla has become the Covid hop spot thanks to the so-called "freedoms" you speak of.

Old 09-10-2021, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Just to be clear…that would be “hustle and bustle” as compared to Staunton and Lexington!

But I have never had anyone “confront” me for wearing a mask - in your average grocery store there will be plenty of folks wearing and plenty not wearing - unless you are at Earth Fare or the Co-op!

I sub teach at middle school and high school and everyone is compliant - though you have to keep reminding the kids not to let their masks turn into chin straps! A new form of sagging - haha!
Correct. I was only comparing these areas along the I-81 area. While Roanoke has grown just a little too fast for me so I reference the "hustle and bustle" for others to compare to places like Staunton.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,417,156 times
Right, the dot of Blue talked about is Roanoke City only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area