Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 PM

9 posts, read 38,828 times

Advertisements

Is anyone able to tell me if the outdoor allergens are less severe in the Shenandoah Valley, than further east in Virginia, like the Richmond area? I would be more specific if I could, but I don't know what I am allergic to. But generally, at least in regards to the mold count, and common pollens that many people have trouble with? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 PM

246 posts, read 782,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy22 View Post
I would be more specific if I could, but I don't know what I am allergic to.

Well, you won't have to worry about shellfish allergies, I guess, unless they're the freshwater type...

The Shenandoah Valley is a very hot, humid, weedy place in the summer, and if you are bothered by anything in Richmond, you will be in the Valley, too. It's a beautiful place but I don't think people go there to escape outdoor allergens. Maybe less smog...

Old 02-12-2009, 05:50 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,191,342 times
Get an allergy test. It's worth the money, and you'll know what you're dealing with. DD is right, if Richmond makes you sneeze, then anything Westward will make you sneeze as well. But who knows, you could be allergic to something completely unrelated. For example, there are no active Spring/Fall pollinators right now, so if you're miserable now, you could be allergic to dust mite residue, which is everywhere. Like, everywhere. Flying in the air when you sit down on your sofa, in the seat of your car, blowing through your air vents, blowing around in the office, etc.

I'm allergic to dust, Spring pollinators, Fall pollinators, and cats. I live in this region, out in the country, and I have two cats. But I take Allegra once a day, and I have no problems at all.

Sean

Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM

192 posts, read 631,700 times
I don't know if this will help, but here goes. I have a friend that moved to Richmond from Roanoke and he and his wife are beset with constant allergy problems they didn't have before that. Our area, being a valley is allergy prone but not nearly as bad as Richmond (after talking to family members) I know that when my allergies are bad I take off for the lake for relief and it works.My doctor said to take mucinex once a day along with claritin to get on top of the allergies rather than attacking after it has caused a reaction. Good luck!!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,620,226 times
My allergies are much worse here than in Richmond. Upon moving here I found this out all too well. I heard it is due to the fact that we are in a valley and it acts as a bowl that holds in the allergens. I dunno if its true but it certainly seems that way to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area