Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 06:37 PM

69 posts, read 274,203 times

Advertisements

Tom - I grew up in Fairfax County and now own a home outside of Roanoke. DO THE INTERNSHIP IN LYNCHBURG. No doubt about it. Done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 11:23 PM

10,250 posts, read 15,966,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
I've seen you in MD forums, yes I think you should come to Lynchburg. I see your still with the same MD bashing, well we can trade I will move to Montgomery County and you can have my spot in VA lol
Actually I did get the internship and I'll be somewhere in the Lynchburg area June and July. To Dave its not a "litmus test" I was just wondering what to expect. Mainly I wanted a professional internship experience and experiencing a different culture is just a plus on the side. Please dont' overreact okay?

I actually don't bash MD, just Montgomery County and the DC area. I've found its just Montgomery County and Baltimore City that I don't like, the rest of the state is very nice. Most of the problems that Maryland has aside from cold weather IMHO can be attributed to newcomers from up north and illegal immigrants. The Eastern Shore of Maryland is wonderful as is some parts of the Baltimore area. Never liked city living though. Just the other day there was an attempted robbery on my block here in downtown Baltimore, and this is the downtown area not some ghetto neighborhood.

Montgomery County is not for everyone I hope you understand that. Even many Baltimoreans would never live there. And a lot of Eastern Shore residents would not cross the bridge unless they absolutely had to.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatjmu View Post
Tom - I grew up in Fairfax County and now own a home outside of Roanoke. DO THE INTERNSHIP IN LYNCHBURG. No doubt about it. Done.
Thanks, and yes I will be down there in June and July. I didn't wish to offend anyone with "stereotypes". I just mentioned those because I consider hunting, sports, NASCAR, church, and a slow paced lifestyle to be positive things. There are many actually bad stereotypes a lot of folks in Montgomery County have about the South like how a lot of people are inbred and the KKK is everywhere. I know to NOT believe those, again I'm sorry if anyone has been offended. And I have seen Confederate flags here in Maryland multiple times btw, some bumper stickers, baseball caps, and people's clothing. And the shot glass of one of my friends from college.

I was actually simply wondering how Southern the culture in Lynchburg and that part of Virginia is. Like Raleigh is obviously a southern city but a lot of people have moved in from elsewhere and the culture seems to have changed a lot.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 AM

895 posts, read 2,098,959 times
If you need any questions answered or advice about the Burg, feel free to PM me. Always glad to help out fellow MD transplants.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:28 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,744,058 times
I've read your posts before and wonder why you are so dang obsessed with being Southern? Just be yourself, go to Lynchburg and enjoy yourself..there's an old saying "Just because a cat has kittens in the oven, it does not make them biscuits". No matter how many 4 wheelers you ride, how many hunting trips you go on, how much CMT you watch, or how many Conf flags you own, you won't be a southerner. How about just being true to yourself and enjoy life? By the way, many people from all over the country do those things too.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I've read your posts before and wonder why you are so dang obsessed with being Southern? Just be yourself, go to Lynchburg and enjoy yourself..there's an old saying "Just because a cat has kittens in the oven, it does not make them biscuits". No matter how many 4 wheelers you ride, how many hunting trips you go on, how much CMT you watch, or how many Conf flags you own, you won't be a southerner. How about just being true to yourself and enjoy life? By the way, many people from all over the country do those things too.
Ok Breeze I am starting to understand what you're saying. I know I will never have the history that you and others probably have, especially since I also happen to be the first American born generation in my family but I grew up in Montgomery County, a very northern culture and hated it and don't really consider myself part of that culture. Life there is very stressful, a lot of people are materialistic and shallow, and it is too politically and socially liberal for me too. I just want to find a place that is slower paced and conservative but where people still give newcomers a chance to show they they are willing to respect and adopt the local culture and lifestyle.

I do hope to enjoy Lynchburg and they have a shortage of pharmacists and other health care professionals but this board does say it CAN be hard for single people. I also like the Eastern Shore of Maryland a lot after spending some time there. I actually like the Baltimore area but it is changing very quickly and beocming more and more like Montgomery County. I've heard it can take 1-3 generations for someone to be an American depending on their mindset and whether they decide to self segregate and all that.

But about the South and people from other parts of the country moving there...how many generations of kittens have to be born in the oven before they're biscuits?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:11 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,744,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Ok Breeze I am starting to understand what you're saying. I know I will never have the history that you and others probably have, especially since I also happen to be the first American born generation in my family but I grew up in Montgomery County, a very northern culture and hated it and don't really consider myself part of that culture. Life there is very stressful, a lot of people are materialistic and shallow, and it is too politically and socially liberal for me too. I just want to find a place that is slower paced and conservative but where people still give newcomers a chance to show they they are willing to respect and adopt the local culture and lifestyle.

I do hope to enjoy Lynchburg and they have a shortage of pharmacists and other health care professionals but this board does say it CAN be hard for single people. I also like the Eastern Shore of Maryland a lot after spending some time there. I actually like the Baltimore area but it is changing very quickly and beocming more and more like Montgomery County. I've heard it can take 1-3 generations for someone to be an American depending on their mindset and whether they decide to self segregate and all that.

But about the South and people from other parts of the country moving there...how many generations of kittens have to be born in the oven before they're biscuits?

lol, well I don't know the answer to that one, just enjoy life and be a good person, hang out with those that you connect with and you'll be fine...all the other stuff, who cares?!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 PM

208 posts, read 1,218,820 times
Yup, it's southern. Enough said.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
Yup, it's southern. Enough said.
Thanks, at least compared to Baltimore I guess.

I go to school with someone from the Bristol area who actually claims Lynchburg is "Northern Virginia". Well in any case I do look forward to spending the summer in Lynchburg and partially in Richmond too.

Very busy now but I'll write a second post about the specifics like weather, cost, customs, etc probably on the general Virginia forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area