Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 03:41 PM

101 posts, read 355,692 times

Advertisements

we are moving to VA this June. now it is time to look for a house.
ok. first off, we are looking for a $400 value house.
I will be working in Radford. so I am really not sure which town I want to live in.
1. Blacksburg
Pros: A. good school( but our son is only barely one year old) dont know if we should stress school now. it is like 10 years down the road.
B. fast resale ( chances of moving out of VA is not huge, about 30% that we want to go somewhere else if my husband truly cannot find a job in NRV.
Cons: pricey and I don't like weekend hokie games and the traffic could not so bad..thought I am not sure how that works

2. Radford

Pros. A. I work in this town. should be convenient for me.
B very good houses for affordable amount of money

Cons. A. have to move out of it when my son needs to go to highschool
B. if we have to sell it three years down the road, it might get hard because it is such a small town and nobody moves in much?

3. Christiansburg
Pro. close to shopping? easier to sell in several years/

I don;t know really.... you tell me?

I would really appreciate some suggestions here. THANKS

Last edited by angelawongme; 03-07-2009 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 07:51 PM

696 posts, read 1,433,714 times
It sounds like you have the basic pros and cons down; at this point it is a matter of personal preference, I guess. Shopping is not a draw for me, and Cburg seems kind of sprawley. Radford is too small-town, quaint but too quiet for me. Of the three I'd choose Bburg in a heartbeat, much more interesting town IMO, & more for my kids to do.

When I was thinking of moving to Bburg, I talked with a real-estate blogger named Jeremy Hart. His blog is at NRVLiving dot com. He was very informative as far as the differences between one town and another, and between one neighborhood and another. I felt badly that we didn't buy anything from him (we ended up moving to Roanoke) but he didn't seem to mind helping me make the right relocation choice from three states away.

Good luck to you.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:41 PM

380 posts, read 1,060,864 times
Blacksburg-but beware moving anywhere near one of the college student dominated townhouse areas. The hordes of drunken coeds can make your new home a lousy place to live.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 AM

246 posts, read 784,383 times
Blacksburg would offer the quickest resale if you moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area