Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:51 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times

Advertisements

Hey Friends just one of my random threads. There is a discussion going on in the Va. forum about "Friendliest Areas in Va." and there is a little differences in opinion as far as whether or not Roanoke is truely a part of Southwest Va. I do realize that Roanoke is actually a part of the Shannadoah Valley (barely) but I for some reason have always been inclined to tell people that I live in Southwest Va. and have never thought any differently. It is my thought as well that many Roanokers feel the same way. I am just curious as to how my fellow Roanokers feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 05:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
While I consider myself a lifelong resident of SW VA I will concede this: Roanoke/Salem/Vinton could be considered both (equally) a part of SW VA and the Shenandoah Valley.

Heres a map of SW VA

Heres a map of Shenandoah Valley

Roanoke is included.

However in this map, Roanoke is not:

(The kicker is, both maps are official government maps! LOL)

It just depends on who you ask, which is why I can see why Richmonder27 considers Roanoke as part of the Shen. Valley. Its all in who you ask.

The basis of the Shenandoah Valley is the Shenandoah River that runs through the valley. If you judge by the river, Roanoke is not within the broad Shenandoah watershed so it would not be considered as part of the valley.

Or, you can look at it as geologically lying within the valley of mountains that make up the valley. Geologically Roanoke is not part of the Shenandoah Valley..

That leaves the cultural aspect. Culturally, Roanoke is sometimes classified as Shenandoan. Im not sure I necessarily agree with that; I would argue that Roanoke is significantly culturally different than, say, Harrisonburg, Waynesboro, Staunton, Winchester, etc.

However, many in the Roanoke region would probably self-identify as Shenandoan (think Shenandoah Life Insurance based in Roanoke)

Then again, im not a cultural anthropologist so Im sure whoever made the assertion that Roanoke is Shenanadoan knows a bit more than me.

So it just depends on what you're going by and who you ask. Neither is right or wrong, etc.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:10 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times
I find it odd when Lynchburg is included, though.

To me Lynchburg is definitely not culturally part of SW VA. Its not even really on the fringe of it. To me its Central- or even Southside. Being just an hour from Danville.

. SWVA to me is like Appalachia. Toe of Virginia.

Lynchburg is Central VA .

I dont consider Roanoke SWVA because its not really part of Appalachia. At least not culturally. Its the Shenandoah Valley- even though it does have some cultural aspects of Southwest VA and is right on the edge, its still part of the Shenandoah Valley.

Because if Staunton is the center of the Valley- what does that make Roanoke?

Thats how I see it. Winchester is on top of the valley (well technically its the lower valley as you all know), then Roanoake is at the bottom. Then Staunton is the middle.

Thats the Valley.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I find it odd when Lynchburg is included, though.

To me Lynchburg is definitely not culturally part of SW VA. Its not even really on the fringe of it. To me its Central- or even Southside. Being just an hour from Danville.

Lynchburg is Central VA .
Yeah, I actually don't consider Lynchburg SW either. Thats the first time I've seen that.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:05 PM

104 posts, read 303,184 times
To me, central VA is along and within the Lynchburg, Charlottesville, Richmond axis. When I think of SW VA, I think of the coal mining region in the panhandle of the state, not so much Roanoke though.

Lol at the light green map. Appomattox Co? Seriously?

Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,187,384 times
Technically - as has been pointed out eloquently here in the past - Roanoke is not geologically part of the Shenandoah Valley. And since the Roanoke Valley sits just East of the Appalachian Plateau, I think it's fair to say that it's not truly part of SWVA either. Ultimately though, I think it's acceptable to identify Roanoke with both regions given cultural and landscape similarities.

Roanoke truly deserves it's own identity. I like to think of Roanoke as the gateway between SWVA and the Shenandoah Valley. Where both cultures blend together.

Sean

Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passo82 View Post

Lol at the light green map. Appomattox Co? Seriously?
Haha, yeah, the first map kind of threw me off with some of the included areas...but its an official map published by the Virginian government..lol.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:46 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Default Lynchburg

I agree that Lynchburg is not part of southwest VA, although the tv stations
here claim it. Lynchburg is part of central VA. It is much more similar to Richmond and southside VA. I think there is a greater emphasis on the civil war and many more churches as is Richmond. If you visit Lynchburg and visit
downtown you will see some very old buildings dating back to pre-civil war days. Just like Richmond, Lynchburg doesn't want to destroy its past. I hope more visitors learn to appreciate both cities.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:34 PM

104 posts, read 303,184 times
'Lynchburg doesn't want to destroy its past.'

Unfortunately, we're too late here as the dozens of surface lots downtown already prove. I saw an old photo of the city from the 1940s and it's amazing how dense the city was back in those days.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:54 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
It is exciting Lynchburg is focusing on its downtown. I think just in the last
few years the downtown area seems to have gotten some energy. When I go there parking is still the #1 problem in visiting the shops, restaurants. Sometimes I find a space on the street but mostly I just keep going. I can't imagine any improvement in downtown until more parking garages are built.
Roanoke has tons of parking downtown but somehow its just not enough either. Also, why can't Lynchburg put in a trolley to shuttle people from a central parking area? I think we are looking at a "diamond in the rough". Its too bad none else sees the potential!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area