Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 06:19 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,329 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen those men and women standing around Valley View Blvd. and the airport area holding white buckets barring some kind of organization on the side written in sharpee? I am just curious because I wonder how we know they are legit. One of the ladies actually knocked on my window and when I tried to ignore her she threw the bucket in my window showing the organization name which for some reason I cant remember the name. After I nodded my head no she had a nasty look on her face and went to the next car who gave her a $5 bill. Do you give these people money? I consider my self charitable as I give money out of my paycheck every week to The Red Cross and make other various donations throughout the year but I am afraid to give to these people and wonder if there is some sort of law against this. Thanks for reading I know it was kind of long on the subject!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 06:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
85% hustle.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:58 PM

120 posts, read 316,469 times
I was up at Valley View today and saw a police officer writing a ticket for one of the folks.

I don't give money to anyone standing on a street corner holding a bucket. Instead, I ask for the organization's information (a card, a brochure, something) and tell them that I'll send a check after I learn more about them. That usually shuts them up.

These folks are also outside the Wal-Mart all the freakin' time. My sons want to hand them their spare change. I tell them if they want to help someone, to take their change, go back inside the Wal-Mart, buy some food for the food pantry and we'll swing by on the way home.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:31 PM

696 posts, read 1,428,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccamp View Post
I tell them if they want to help someone, to take their change, go back inside the Wal-Mart, buy some food for the food pantry and we'll swing by on the way home.
Oh good, I hope you follow through on that and actually buy food for local pantries. Donations are down for nonprofits these days while at the same time, more and more people are coming to shelters and pantries for food & other necessities. This is definitely the time to increase your own charitable giving if it's possible to do so!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 AM

219 posts, read 877,713 times
My girlfriend works for a major social services non-profit department in the area and works with all of the homeless advocate groups (there aren't that many groups) in the Roanoke area. We drove by them one day on valley view. She's never heard of that group and says its most likely a scam.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 AM

192 posts, read 631,209 times
Nope I don't give them money. I've read too much about the scams - remember the guy that sat near Towers with a homeless sign, and then an article was written about how much money he made from that scam in hi "after work" hours!!! After that I met a man at the lake that said a guy he worked with was trying the same thing in L burg and making a killing. When we receive those solicitation calls we simply state that we will be happy to consider their cause if they contact us in writing!! Gee whiz

Old 06-01-2009, 09:21 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
The solicitors I have seen around Valley View, Crossroads look legitimate with their matching smocks but I doubt if they are for real. They seem too aggressive and phony. Another reason why they are probably from out of town. I'm surprised they are still around.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:50 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
The solicitors I have seen around Valley View, Crossroads look legitimate with their matching smocks but I doubt if they are for real. They seem too aggressive and phony. Another reason why they are probably from out of town. I'm surprised they are still around.
they are very aggressive and phony

Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 PM

174 posts, read 528,473 times
I don't give to them either. I have found that if I make eye contact with them they will stay away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area