Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 PM

25 posts, read 63,847 times

Advertisements

Hi Roanoke (and surrounding) Area Folks,

My husband and I are hoping to open (or take over an existing) country store somewhere around there. Here are some of our ideas...

1) We would like to be in operation for tourists as well but mostly for locals... you know that old country store reputation of being the local hang out spot. We really want to exist mainly to further the local scene, though sometimes being in a high traffic spot that attracts tourists of some kind allows the business to continue financially. We just def. don't want to rely JUST on tourism... that's not our scene.
2) We are thinking convenience store items/cool gifty items/possible deli and/or simple to-go bakery items, in terms of what to sell. Also coffee, maybe some yummy, simple, cheap featured breakfast items. We would also LOVE to showcase consignments from local artists and craftspeople.
3) We would also like to host occasional events like a Saturday Farmer's Market, bluegrass jam night, kids' night, fall festival, etc.

So my question is, would this interest any of you? What else would you be interested in? Is there one area that would prove ideal for our style of store? Does anyone know of an existing store that is for sale, or even someone who wants someone to take over their store (but they want to retain ownership)? Or, does anyone know of a charming commercial building that would suit our needs... if an apartment was attached, that would be PERFECT!

We will be relocating from New England, where the lifestyle and pace is way too much for us. We need friendly faces, room to breathe, and manners!

Thanks in advance for all your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 06:59 PM

120 posts, read 316,991 times
Having recently relocated from the Boston area, I hear you about the frantic pace of life, lack of manners and no room to breathe. Been there. Done that. Moved on.

About your country store idea: Sure! Most definitely. Before you make any decisions, check out Floyd, VA. They have a country store that rocks. Really. Rocks. You may want to talk to the owners to see what they did, etc.

You may also want to contact the Chamber of Commerce -- especially the small business development team in Roanoke. Google them. I hear they're great to talk to and will give you excellent advice.

The only other suggestion I have is to move down here and check out the area before you sign on the dotted line for a new business. Roanoke is a much different place than New England (happily), and you may have to adjust some attitudes to make a business work. (I sometimes feel like a bull in a china shop. You don't want to stand next to me if the check out lines are moving slowly because of some chit-chat up front

It will also give you an opportunity to test drive a number of ideas so that you find the right fit.

Roanoke and the New River Valley are awesome. Every person I meet who is from somewhere else wants to stay forever.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,895,903 times
I would look into Thalhimer commercial real estate in Roanoke. I had a business and they were very helpful in locating properties. The
Regional Chamber of Commerce can offer assistance with opening a business.
Country stores seem to be popular around here, mostly in the more rural areas. I have stopped at a few of them which also double as gas stations.
I know there is a chain of country store/gas stations in the valley that are always busy. They look like country stores from the highway, have wooden floors, porches and a very friendly atmosphere. The clerks are actually friendly also. I think its a nice concept but if it were me starting a new business I think the area needs a country-style restaurant, a 24 hour breakfast eatery or a dessert only place. Just my observation. Good luck in your new venture and welcome to Roanoke!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 12,395 times
If placed right, the kind of store you are talking about would be a gold mine.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:12 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,072,219 times
This is REALLY "out there" - but there is a beautiful part of Virginia we visited called Burkes Garden - near Tazewell VA in far SW Virginia.

This is a small gorgeous valley with about 300 people - and there is one store in the valley. We stopped there on our visit. The very friendly clerk told us the store was up for sale.

Do some Google searches for "Burke's Garden" and "God's thumbprint" (you'll see how it got that name).

You would really have to love that isolated setting.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 AM

210 posts, read 1,140,524 times
IT's breathtaking for sure.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:07 PM

25 posts, read 63,847 times
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions... great info!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,197 times
Default country store

We presently own a country store in the Smtih Mountain Lake area around Roanoke. We are selling it as we have retired and purchased a Motor Home. Anyway, living in this area is pretty close to perfect - with one small exception! Dunkin Donuts! There is presently only one in the Roanoke Valley, and with the large tourist trade at Smith Mountain Lake and the ever-growing senior population and the sugar addicted, a country store with a Dunkin Donut franchise would be a money-maker. If my husband and I were younger, that is what we would bring into our "country store"! If you wish pics or info, please email @ soo_soo@juno.com

Old 06-08-2009, 02:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,623,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soo_soo View Post
We presently own a country store in the Smtih Mountain Lake area around Roanoke. We are selling it as we have retired and purchased a Motor Home. Anyway, living in this area is pretty close to perfect - with one small exception! Dunkin Donuts! There is presently only one in the Roanoke Valley, and with the large tourist trade at Smith Mountain Lake and the ever-growing senior population and the sugar addicted, a country store with a Dunkin Donut franchise would be a money-maker. If my husband and I were younger, that is what we would bring into our "country store"! If you wish pics or info, please email @ soo_soo@juno.com
Though not close to SML A second location of DD will be opening in SW county in Keagy Villiage. Its ironic there is no location there because I heard the owner lives out that way.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:00 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,072,219 times
Here's your big chance - Catawba Valley General Store...

Shelves, emotions bare as Catawba Valley General Store closing looms - Roanoke.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area