Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:11 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times

Advertisements

It is sad to see Ukrops going to that great super market in the sky!
It was a great concept for Roanoke and the building was beautiful but somehow the grocer just didn't have what it took to succeed here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 05:47 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
It is sad to see Ukrops going to that great super market in the sky!
It was a great concept for Roanoke and the building was beautiful but somehow the grocer just didn't have what it took to succeed here!
The building IS beautiful.. its still there Roanoker 4

Old 08-26-2009, 01:11 PM

69 posts, read 273,818 times
I didn't miss anything did I? An announcement? TeeByrd I saw you said you are moving...is that our sign that the store will be closed soon?

I am only a very part-time Roanoker right now but I always make a trip to Ukrops. Lately for desserts, LOVE the petit fours and the cupcakes. YUM YUM!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:53 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatjmu View Post
I didn't miss anything did I? An announcement? TeeByrd I saw you said you are moving...is that our sign that the store will be closed soon?

I am only a very part-time Roanoker right now but I always make a trip to Ukrops. Lately for desserts, LOVE the petit fours and the cupcakes. YUM YUM!
Yep, I really liked their baked desserts as well.
Unfortunately I haven't been to Ukrops in a while because the one closest to where I am now (Broad St, Richmond) closed a couple of years ago...It was so unbelievably convenient.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatjmu View Post

Hey Kitkat no you didnt miss anything. No announcement has been made. I am moving to work for a different company but only because I feel its in my best intrests. Ukrop's is open and at this point it is staying open.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 PM

71 posts, read 284,948 times
Ukrop's is a nice store, hate that the company is suffering. Trader Joe's would be a good replacement. But personally, I like the Roanoke Co-op in Grandin Village. Really worth a visit if you haven't gone. Really good lunch counter.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:08 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,783,368 times
I guess the curtain has finally closed:

Quote:
Ukrop's will close its Roanoke store next month.
The company has been breaking the news to employees this afternoon. The supermarket is scheduled to close on October 24. The First Market Bank branch will remain open until December 18.
Ukrop's to close next month - WDBJ7 Roanoke News and Weather NRV Lynchburg Danville |

Its a shame. They had the best bananas in the valley. LOL (I'm serious, they had really high quality bananas!). But, its probably for the best of the company.

I wonder what will happen to its building? Its a beautiful store. I cant think of another store that would be right for the spot.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:24 PM

I feel sad for all of the wonderful people that make up that store. RIP Ukrop's #470

Old 09-18-2009, 05:41 PM

108 posts, read 376,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
I guess the curtain has finally closed:

Ukrop's to close next month - WDBJ7 Roanoke News and Weather NRV Lynchburg Danville |

Its a shame. They had the best bananas in the valley. LOL (I'm serious, they had really high quality bananas!). But, its probably for the best of the company.

I wonder what will happen to its building? Its a beautiful store. I cant think of another store that would be right for the spot.

The secret to getting a great banana (in any store) is to pick the "orphans"....that is, the bananas which were stripped from the bunch and left helplessly to fend for themselves. Its like getting a pet from the animal shelter. They are so grateful to be going home with you that you will be rewarded with a tasty 'naner.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:54 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times
Couldn't a new grocer move into to the Ukrops building who knows how to operate a business and keep the Ukrops Kitchen prepared foods area like it is?
Ukrops could sell its grocery stores but keep its kitchen facility in Richmond and cater to a grocer like Kroger, for example? Plus the new grocer could stay open longer, especially on Sundays and sell alcohol, cigarettes, lottery tickets like every other grocery store in the world! Those changes would get me to shop there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area