Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 8,458 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are just getting our youngest into college here, and we are ready to escape Michigan for a better life- for many reasons, the economy being a large one. My brother's brother-in-law is located in Roanke and has spoken well enough of the area to spark our interest in considering it a new place to live.

I work in pre-press for a commercial printer and have a BA in Graphic Design and my wife is a medical biller for the local hospital with an Associates Degree. Any good job prospects in these industries?

We're looking for a rural, small farm setting in the country on a few wooded acres with a laid-back feel. (There is/always has been too much anger and tension here in Michigan) Is the market decent in regard to this type of real estate and is there much property available?

Finally, I am a guitar player/singer with a passion for all types of music, currently big-time into rockabilly/SRV and Wes Montgomery jazz. (hey, I still like my BOC & Floyd too!) Is the music scene happening? Lots of good venues to play?

Thanks for any replies! From the threads I have read, the area seems GREAT and the people seem warm and sincere. We are anxious to visit and check it out for ourselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 04:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,535 times
Default Your questions

Check out Floyd County. Friday night jammin' in the town and great musicians. The people are great. We moved here from the Lansing area of Michigan and have no regrets. Been here since ' 71. Good luck !

Old 07-28-2009, 06:57 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,400,729 times
Floyd Co is very rural farm country and many people who live here have to commute to either the Christiansburg/Blacksburg area or Roanoke for work so keep that in mind if you do decide to look for a new home here. Franklin Co. might be a better choice if work is in Rke. Use the search function here on City Data to look for posts by Sean Pecor, he's in Franklin and has lots of good things to say about it.

Ya just missed FloydFest. Four days of music, camping and more music. Held in the end of July each year, rain or shine.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Thank you for the posts - we will be visiting the entire area in the near future and taking in as much as we can. TO behonest, I do not know what keeps calling me to this area, but something keeps telling me to at least check it out and visit.

thanks again
sratell

Old 07-29-2009, 05:30 PM

2,285 posts, read 4,100,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sratell View Post
TO be honest, I do not know what keeps calling me to this area, but something keeps telling me to at least check it out and visit.
sratell
You're not the only one who hears the voice!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:20 PM

54 posts, read 81,232 times
Floyd is a great place. It is removed from everything and is definitely laid back. You would most likely have to commute to Roanoke. The drives around Floyd are nice though and you don't have to worry about traffic.

A good website for anyone looking to move to the area is Southwest Virginia Jobs | Return to Roots.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Thank you to "hucareshokiesrule" for the post on the job website. I have lived here in Michigan almost 50 years and believe me, the internet really helps with some of the logistical/groundwork stuff. This is such a hugh undertaking, so that alone should let you know how bad iti is up here.

Thanks again
sratell

Old 08-11-2009, 07:45 AM

20 posts, read 70,659 times
Can't help much on the music scene, but if working in Roanoke I would suggest Franklin County. We have a small farm in Boones Mill and commute to Roanoke, 20 minutes north on 220 which is 4 lane and you are in downtown Roanoke. Plenty of open and wooded properties available.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 AM

20 posts, read 70,659 times
Also, Carilion is the ever expanding medical group in Roanoke, your wife should have opportunities there.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 PM

25 posts, read 31,474 times
NO, for god's sake run, don't come here!! Play music? Where, Walmart...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area