Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 11:50 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,661,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sratell View Post
My wife and I are just getting our youngest into college here, and we are ready to escape Michigan for a better life- for many reasons, the economy being a large one. My brother's brother-in-law is located in Roanke and has spoken well enough of the area to spark our interest in considering it a new place to live.

I work in pre-press for a commercial printer and have a BA in Graphic Design and my wife is a medical biller for the local hospital with an Associates Degree. Any good job prospects in these industries?

We're looking for a rural, small farm setting in the country on a few wooded acres with a laid-back feel. (There is/always has been too much anger and tension here in Michigan) Is the market decent in regard to this type of real estate and is there much property available?

Finally, I am a guitar player/singer with a passion for all types of music, currently big-time into rockabilly/SRV and Wes Montgomery jazz. (hey, I still like my BOC & Floyd too!) Is the music scene happening? Lots of good venues to play?

Thanks for any replies! From the threads I have read, the area seems GREAT and the people seem warm and sincere. We are anxious to visit and check it out for ourselves!
Sounds like the 'Noke might be perfect for you folks! I'd hazard a guess that compared to most urban or semi-urban areas of Michigan, you might find even the "diciest" areas of Roanoke to fit your bill of "a rural, small farm setting in the country on a few wooded acres with a laid-back feel."
Seriously though...you don't really need to go far "out" of the center of Roanoke to find what you are describing. There would likely be tons of opportunities in your lines of work, and there's a bunch of live music going on all over. If you were trying to play out regularly with a punk band in Roanoke, you'd likely be disappointed. But jazz and the blues? You'll be just fine.
Oh yeah...gotta get used to some mountains if you end up here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 8,447 times
I am so sick of flat land - the only thing scaring me is the price of real estate! I am realizing that it is much cheaper in the midwest after the little bit of research I have been doing. It is gonna take some real juju to make everything come together. It would be sweet to make it happen in your state - it is very beautiful from what I have seen and I would consider myself fortunate to end -up there. Thanks for the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area