Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:27 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times

Advertisements

How would Roanoke compare to say, Asheville?

To people who have been to both...are they similar in feel? Similar demographics? Completely different? How is the vibe, and how so? How about the prices...both expensive, or is one less expensive for the other - concerning potential house ownership someday, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:19 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
Roanoke likes to compare itself to Asheville. Because both cities are connected via the Blue Ridge Parkway there are many similarities as far as mountain setting. I have been to Asheville and I found it to be a charming place. The mountain elevations are higher there and because of the Biltmore House, vacation homes, Smoky Mountain tourist attractions, Grove Park Inn spa, etc Asheville is way more popular and visible than Roanoke. For some reason Virginia does not go for tons of tourists and their money. We tend to be more conservative, love history and Thomas Jefferson but we are trying to attract the upscale traveler to Roanoke to visit our new art museum and other cultural offerings. Roanoke is definately a "diamond in the rough" that hasn't reached its potential. I spoke to a traveler the other day from NYC who stopped in Roanoke on his way to Asheville and he was quite impressed with Roanoke. I almost asked him, why don't you stay for a while?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM

267 posts, read 1,360,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
For some reason Virginia does not go for tons of tourists and their money. We tend to be more conservative, love history and Thomas Jefferson but we are trying to attract the upscale traveler to Roanoke to visit our new art museum and other cultural offerings. Roanoke is definately a "diamond in the rough" that hasn't reached its potential.
Sure seems like it and sadly its has always been that way. Sometimes I wonder if Virginia even knows whats in their own backyard. I can remember when Kings Dominion opened in the mid 70s and Virginia was promoting the "fact" thats Kings Domion's Rebel Yell was the largest roller coaster in the state. Not true actually, not only was the largest coaster at the time in Virginia was in the Roanoke area ( Lakeside's Shooting Star ) but that coaster I believe back then was the biggest in the nation, even though by the late 70's that title had gone to someplace else, but still Virginia could had promoted Lakeside and Roanoke rather than giving the public as Virginia did, the idea that there were only TWO parks in Virginia..Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens, nevermind Lakeside and the many of small parks scattered around Hampton Roads back then like Ocean View for example..and that park was featured in TWO films back in the 70's..one more than Kings Dominion

Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM

I think the biggest difference between NC & VA is that NC actually thinks of itself as ONE state. In VA we just don't have the creative minds who think beyond the past tense. A few years ago a group of Asheville tourism people came to Roanoke to look at our downtown market to take back ideas to improve their downtown area. Asheville is much closer to major metro areas like Charlotte, Greenville, etc whereas Roanoke is still struggling to get a train to DC. BTW,the new Lynchburg to DC train is a big success, so it shows there is a big need for a connection here. This area does not spend much money on advertising and we all know Virginia's image now is the state that
likes to cut corners by closing its interstate rest areas.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:12 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,656,383 times
Virginia is just like anyplace that might nor be great to visit but is a great place to live. I like going to Vegas for 5 days but would never want to live there. Same for lots of places--NYC, Key West, Hawaii, Alaska, etc. 25-30 years ago Asheville was dead--deader than Roanoke or Lynchburg, etc. It had little industry and what they had was gone. So some artists starting moving there for the cheap houses and started small businesses. It caught on and now it's a place to go.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,244,985 times
Take all the cool out of Asheville and what's left would be Roanoke?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:53 PM

Default Lakeside

Yes I remember Lakeside Amusement Park. It had been around for over 60 years! It closed in the mid 80's and at one time it claimed to have the worlds' fastest roller coaster and it was also one of the biggest at that time. Roanoke was always into tourism and this gigantic park was always busy. When Kings Dominion opened the park started to suffer but there were other
problems like the flood of '85 which damaged some of the rides. People would come here from all over the tri state area to visit Lakeside and spend the day.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,542,050 times
I live an hour from Asheville, I think Asheville is overrated. I feel much more comfortable visiting Roanoke personally. LOVE the downtown market! Asheville has really nice things like the Biltmore Estate and the Grove Park Inn, etc, but I think the "hippie" thing there is a little annoying. Some call it charming, but I call it contrived.

I don't think it would take very much to put Roanoke more on the tourist map. Maybe redevelop and recall the name of Lakeside Park. Make the Roanoke Star more of an attraction. Add other attractions that tourists passing through might want to stop and spend time doing. But, I like Roanoke the way it is already.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Take all the cool out of Asheville and what's left would be Roanoke?
I agree with this comment. Unfortunately Roanoke does not have the "je nais se quoi" of Asheville added to the lack of talent locally and state wide in promoting tourism.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:27 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
So, in the Appalachian region...what would be the coolest city AFTER Asheville, NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area