Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:48 AM

50 posts, read 144,432 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move because I'd prefer not to stay in New York with the way it is... can you recommend any cities that are similar to Rochester? I've heard Charlotte, NC is very similar, but I'd like to move west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 11:50 AM

317 posts, read 825,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickersmuffin View Post
I'm looking to move because I'd prefer not to stay in New York with the way it is... can you recommend any cities that are similar to Rochester? I've heard Charlotte, NC is very similar, but I'd like to move west.
"I'd prefer not to stay in New York with the way it is"...perhaps if we knew what you didn't like, we might be able to help out.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:57 PM

50 posts, read 144,432 times
Its debt problems and high taxes

Old 07-11-2010, 07:12 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
Charlotte is absolutely nothing like Rochester in layout and size. I think it's the exact opposite in most aspects.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Its debt problems and high taxes

It's a catch 22. If debt problems are an issue that leaves you with two states to chose from...Montana and North Dakota. The taxes are relative if you move to state that taxes less, you will most likely be making less.

You mentioned Charlotte...The property taxes are lower than NY, but are state income taxes are higher. We pay yearly property taxes on cars (not sure about NY). The salaries don't translate either. Teachers start at 30k. 15 years on the job gets you 41K. This is probably why so many of the schools are horrible.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:35 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Minneapolis is similar to Rochester. Several other Midwestern cities are similar in demographics and whatnot, although it appears Rochester comes out ahead of, say, Dayton so far as their respective economies are concerned.

Charlotte is bigger than Buffalo, and quite larger than Rochester. Charlotte's traffic stinks, although if you live and work in the 'burbs traffic isn't too bad in spots. Charlotte's been hammered in this recession, and there are virtually no banking or finance jobs available there right now (two industries which have large footprints there).

Raleigh is a lot more like Rochester. Diverse economy, and it's much "newer" than places like Rochester and Buffalo.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Minneapolis is similar to Rochester. Several other Midwestern cities are similar in demographics and whatnot, although it appears Rochester comes out ahead of, say, Dayton so far as their respective economies are concerned.

Charlotte is bigger than Buffalo, and quite larger than Rochester. Charlotte's traffic stinks, although if you live and work in the 'burbs traffic isn't too bad in spots. Charlotte's been hammered in this recession, and there are virtually no banking or finance jobs available there right now (two industries which have large footprints there).

Raleigh is a lot more like Rochester. Diverse economy, and it's much "newer" than places like Rochester and Buffalo.
snickersmuffin...I tend to agree with Howard...Raleigh is more like Rochester, but neither city is close to Rochester. Howard can speak to Charlotte ( he lives very close). I lived in Raleigh for 8 years. The are very few run down areas in Raleigh. I know Rochester is bit different. The burbs of Wake county compare to Monroe county...they are just newer...you will find very few split level homes and ranches. Also, basements are very very rare.

Raleigh has a downtown...sorta. It is hard to describe. I have never been to a city with a similar downtown. Maybe 3 tall buildings. The capital is downtown, with bars and entertainment a few blocks over on Glenwood S., but things are scattered around. The airport isn't close. RBC arena isn't close.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:26 PM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
snickersmuffin...I tend to agree with Howard...Raleigh is more like Rochester, but neither city is close to Rochester. Howard can speak to Charlotte ( he lives very close). I lived in Raleigh for 8 years. The are very few run down areas in Raleigh. I know Rochester is bit different. The burbs of Wake county compare to Monroe county...they are just newer...you will find very few split level homes and ranches. Also, basements are very very rare.

Raleigh has a downtown...sorta. It is hard to describe. I have never been to a city with a similar downtown. Maybe 3 tall buildings. The capital is downtown, with bars and entertainment a few blocks over on Glenwood S., but things are scattered around. The airport isn't close. RBC arena isn't close.
A lot of that has to do with the spread out make up of the city of Raleigh. It is 114.6 square miles, while Rochester is 35.6 square miles. So, if you add Rochester's first and some second ring suburbs, you get the city of Raleigh in terms of land size. That is something that people have to keep in mind when comparing Northeastern and some Midwestern cities to Western and Southern cities, as those cities in the latter two regions and to some degree in the Midwest, has recently annexed surrounding communities into the city limits, unlike the cities in the Northeast.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:27 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Person who started the thread sounds like they might be interested in areas west of here, too.

For that I'd recommend San Antonio, Colorado Springs, and (maybe) Portland.

Tulsa and Ok. City kinda spook me some with all the tornadoes they get out there, plus they've had major brush fires in the last year or so. On the other hand, both cities have fared OK during the recession, so to each their own. I mention the fires and tornadoes only because we know a couple from Canada who live out there, and they're ready to leave at this point after dodging some of the freaky sides of mother nature out that way.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:06 PM

99 posts, read 228,041 times
Toledo Ohio is split into two halves by the Maumee just like Rochester is by the Genesee; the city proper is roughly the same size in terms of population (Rochester metro is bigger); both have a few nice areas (westside Toledo/southeast Rochester) and heavily blighted areas (East Toledo/crescent); boith have outstanding suburbs (Perrysburg; Maumee;Sylvania v. Pittsford, Brighton, Webster)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area