Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2010, 03:10 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Really? I am curious, what does your Fiance' do?
We are from Rochester (Webster) and have been away now for many years, always looking to come back.
My husband has an MBA, is an Engineer, he can't find a job in Rochester to save his life.
His headhunters laugh at him when he calls and says "hey, can you just look again for us?".
I am terribly homesick and would LOVE to come home, we had an "almost" opportunity a few years ago, but they wanted to pay him almost $40K less than he makes now and although the cost of living in Rochester is much lower than where we live now, no one wants to take a pay cut like that. Even to come home.

My husband has almost 20 years experience as an Engineer,went to RIT and could pretty much name his salary here in the Pharm industry. Rochester can't touch it.....
So, who is calling your Fiance' ?

He is a Software Analyst. Hes gotten calls from Paychex, Frontier, Wegmans, Mindex Technologies and Kodak. Hes fresh out of college but he went to college in Amsterdam recieved a BSAS in Information Technology, Interned with IBM and is now continuing on at University of South Florida in Tampa for a minor in Computer Forensics. Hes fluent in 6 languages so that helps him also. I believe hes going to take the Wegmans offer because it offered the most benefits and more pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 06:08 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
He is a Software Analyst. Hes gotten calls from Paychex, Frontier, Wegmans, Mindex Technologies and Kodak. Hes fresh out of college but he went to college in Amsterdam recieved a BSAS in Information Technology, Interned with IBM and is now continuing on at University of South Florida in Tampa for a minor in Computer Forensics. Hes fluent in 6 languages so that helps him also. I believe hes going to take the Wegmans offer because it offered the most benefits and more pay.
Ahhh that's why.... Computers.... wish my husband had taken that route, but in our mid 40's to change careers now when we can find good paying jobs elsewhere, isn't worth it...
That 's great for your husband though!
Good Luck to him!
We miss Wegman's that is for sure!

Old 10-04-2010, 02:19 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
that's one thing I've never understood about Rochester job market. Now, I live in SoCal so we're told we get paid some "sunshine dollars" which I can understand to some degree, but it is very expensive here so they can only justify that so far.

But you'd think that the less desirable a place to live (including places like Rochester), the salaries would be higher to get good people and keep them. Sorry, don't mean to insult anyone to lives there, but the fact is that western NY state is not among the most desirable places to live, at least it is perceived not to be. I mean, there are plenty of places that have long winters but yet attract people to jobs and pay them well (Boston area for example). I wanted to move back a few times but it made no sense to cut my salary in half.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
But you'd think that the less desirable a place to live (including places like Rochester), the salaries would be higher to get good people and keep them. Sorry, don't mean to insult anyone to lives there, but the fact is that western NY state is not among the most desirable places to live, at least it is perceived not to be. I mean, there are plenty of places that have long winters but yet attract people to jobs and pay them well (Boston area for example). I wanted to move back a few times but it made no sense to cut my salary in half.
Minneapolis/St. Paul kinda fits into that, as well.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:05 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
Quote:
that's one thing I've never understood about Rochester job market. Now, I live in SoCal so we're told we get paid some "sunshine dollars" which I can understand to some degree, but it is very expensive here so they can only justify that so far.

Attracting people is not the problem. There is more than enough talent in the area. More talent than the amount of jobs. Attracting the jobs is the problem. A place like Boston has the jobs to attract people.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:35 PM

531 posts, read 1,144,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Attracting people is not the problem. There is more than enough talent in the area. More talent than the amount of jobs. Attracting the jobs is the problem. A place like Boston has the jobs to attract people.

i agree.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:07 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
That's why I feel that the colleges in the area should put their heads together and to help create jobs in terms of research and in other areas like the Research Triangle in NC has done. It's not like there aren't plenty of colleges in the area that could be used to help the economy in other ways. Some might say that schools like U of R and RIT aren't like Duke or say Harvard, but they are still good colleges that could help to create more jobs in the area. I wouldn't even count out the input from the other colleges in the area as well.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:

but the cost of living is much lower too. That's not to say that the wages shouldn't be higher, but I think that some of the current wages have to do with the cost of living in the area. It's not like you have to buy a house that costs half a million dollars to find something nice. So, I'm assuming that's why the wages are lower.

The area job market has something to do with this as well, to some degree.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:51 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That's why I feel that the colleges in the area should put their heads together and to help create jobs in terms of research and in other areas like the Research Triangle in NC has done. It's not like there aren't plenty of colleges in the area that could be used to help the economy in other ways. Some might say that schools like U of R and RIT aren't like Duke or say Harvard, but they are still good colleges that could help to create more jobs in the area. I wouldn't even count out the input from the other colleges in the area as well.
U of R has done this on a small scale but much more needs to be done. The laser lab provides many high paying research jobs but we need more.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:50 AM

5,706 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
UR has been doing this for years and has produced a number of companies. Unfortunately, the most successful, Praxis (something) was bought by a large pharmacutical and moved out of town. RIT is agressively getting into the research business too. We have a couple of incubaters. Kodak, Xerox and B+L all have large R&D operations. Rochester is the largest producer of patents per capita nationwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area