Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:13 PM

28 posts, read 123,214 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Rochester, Can anyone tell me what is the area near Lake ave/Seneca pkwy like. zip code 14613. Is it a good are to live in/Invest in?
Thank you in advance. I lived in Rochester in 1982 for a year and loved the ctiy. I lived on Monroe ave near Culver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Lake Ave/Seneca looks pretty; and is definitely better than areas to the south of it; but being so close to Kodak Park it isn't really considered too desirable these days. Some beautiful homes there for really cheap though. The areas around Monroe/Culver are still very nice, and if that's where you lived in the 80's and enjoyed it you'd probably like it just as much, if not more, now. That area is much more popular, well kept, and "happening" than areas around Seneca Park.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:38 PM

Thanks I'minformed2, I really did like the area I lived in, the price of the homes on Lake is what caught my eye, since I am not from up there, what do you mean by Kodak Park area is not desirable, Is there a high crime rate in the area? Is Kodak Park closed?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Kodak Park is not a "park"...it's a huge industrial complex that is home to a lot of kodak's heavy manufacturing buildings. A lot of pollution around there and you can smell the fumes from burning chemicals and such. Crime isn't a big problem around there; it's just that Kodak Park is a huge NIMBY and it keeps property values low. The reason there are so many nice large homes there is because back in the late 19th/early 20th century when that area was being built up, they weren't as "environmentally aware" and many upper-middle class folks just wanted to live there to be closer to work.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:02 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
I have to disagree about Crime not being a problem in that area. I used to live over there and have seen a wide array of problems. My extended family has all left due to drugs, prostitution, murders, rapes..... all in that area. In the past few month several murders have happend there- near Aquinas on Augastine/ and more on Driving Park/ and I believe Clay. I would never suggest that area for a friend to move to and I have sentimental atttachment to it. It breaks my heart to see what is happening over there.....

Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 PM

Thanks again all,your answers have helped a great deal, I full understand NIMBY, I would not want to live in a neighborhood where pollution or high crime is an issue. This forum is great!!!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 AM

116 posts, read 622,081 times
I think greater Rochester has a lot of things going for it if you live in the suburbs. However, investing in real estate is not one of them. Property taxes are high and although cost of housing is not that bad (because houses are so cheap), these property taxes will guarantee that the housing will not appreciate very quickly in value.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:51 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanoka View Post
I am thinking of moving to Rochester, Can anyone tell me what is the area near Lake ave/Seneca pkwy like. zip code 14613. Is it a good are to live in/Invest in?
Thank you in advance. I lived in Rochester in 1982 for a year and loved the ctiy. I lived on Monroe ave near Culver.
If you want to move back to the City I would suggest moving back to Monroe/Culver, Park Ave, East Ave, Highland-around Cobbs Hill, Browncroft/Winton..... over that way..... Safest bet.... and a great area with lots to do....

Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,996,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
If you want to move back to the City I would suggest moving back to Monroe/Culver, Park Ave, East Ave, Highland-around Cobbs Hill, Browncroft/Winton..... over that way..... Safest bet.... and a great area with lots to do....
I would second this although I am not as keen on Monroe/Culver. I would recommend Browncroft for families, Park ave for younger people. Kinda trying to fit people to a crowd.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:39 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
I would second this although I am not as keen on Monroe/Culver. I would recommend Browncroft for families, Park ave for younger people. Kinda trying to fit people to a crowd.
Isn't Cobbs Hill Park in the Monroe/Culver area? it doesn't look too bad: monroe avenue and culver road rochester, ny - Google Maps_

Also, what about Swillburg: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...1,186.7,,0,3.2

and SouthWedge: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...262.03,,0,2.75
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area