Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:54 AM

54 posts, read 138,295 times

Advertisements

can anyone help me with explaining what this Area is like please?

I understand that there is a large university to the south and that it is about 40 minutes from Lake Ontario but other than that I dont really know much about it!

Thanks for any help...

Pauly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times

Old 01-05-2011, 01:45 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
It's a big urban neighborhood and can vary in terms of safety. Look around Brooks and closer to the airport, from what it seems.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:09 PM

531 posts, read 1,144,199 times
lol ..dude just look 1 or two pages into the rochester forum and you will find more 19th ward info than you know what to do with. personally, i'd advise you to stay the hell away from the 19th ward; this neighborhood has some of the most dangerous streets in the entire city--which has a notorious violent crime reputation as it is. there's a bunch of nice neighborhoods in the ROC, but 19th ward simply isn't worth the risk IMO; you get what you pay for.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
the 19th ward is a big neighborhood. Some parts are bad. Some are fine. I've known many RIT and U of R students to live there with no problem. I dated a girl there last year who would walk around at night by the park with no issues. To say that the entire 19th ward is dangerous is not accurate. Much of it is fine.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM

233 posts, read 685,796 times
You'll save yourself a lot of trouble by not moving into that area, if that was what you were considering.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:25 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
lol ..dude just look 1 or two pages into the rochester forum and you will find more 19th ward info than you know what to do with. personally, i'd advise you to stay the hell away from the 19th ward; this neighborhood has some of the most dangerous streets in the entire city--which has a notorious violent crime reputation as it is. there's a bunch of nice neighborhoods in the ROC, but 19th ward simply isn't worth the risk IMO; you get what you pay for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
You'll save yourself a lot of trouble by not moving into that area, if that was what you were considering.
I make sweeping generalizations, and I agree with these posts.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
My $.02:

There are parts of the 19th which are fairly quiet and safe. My dad's lived there for 20 years, now, and the worst which has happened to him was his cruddy old car was stolen around 1994 on a very cold night (the thieves did him a favor).

The worst part about living on the edge of the 19th, which is a nice area with only some airport noise to contend with, is it's kinda out in no-man's-land when it comes to retail. Thurston saw a resurgence in the 90's, but that's long-since passed and I doubt it will come back any time soon. Mt. Hope Wegmans (supermarket) is long gone, so one's only local choice for a market is the Tops on West Ave. Wegmans closed their nearer Chili Ave. store some years ago, even, so Tops on West or the one on S. Clinton in Brighton would most likely be the closest supermarkets. I think the closest Wegmans would be Lyell (near to 390) which is a nice store, now, and might be a little closer than the Tops in Brighton.

I guess it all depends on what one's lifestyle is going to be like, in order to determine which urban neighborhood would be a good fit.

If someone is single and seeks amenities close by, to include a local bar/pub with a decent selection of booze, then the 19th is not going to be on their radar unless they like hanging out around the house more than most young folks, or they entertain at home (which my dad and his gf do all the time). The 19th is great for cheaper rents than, say, Park Ave, while being close to UofR, Strong, and major arteries which one can take to Brighton and Henrietta, not to mention downtown and not far from the East End.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:57 PM

531 posts, read 1,144,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
My $.02:

There are parts of the 19th which are fairly quiet and safe. My dad's lived there for 20 years, now, and the worst which has happened to him was his cruddy old car was stolen around 1994 on a very cold night (the thieves did him a favor).

The worst part about living on the edge of the 19th, which is a nice area with only some airport noise to contend with, is it's kinda out in no-man's-land when it comes to retail. Thurston saw a resurgence in the 90's, but that's long-since passed and I doubt it will come back any time soon. Mt. Hope Wegmans (supermarket) is long gone, so one's only local choice for a market is the Tops on West Ave. Wegmans closed their nearer Chili Ave. store some years ago, even, so Tops on West or the one on S. Clinton in Brighton would most likely be the closest supermarkets. I think the closest Wegmans would be Lyell (near to 390) which is a nice store, now, and might be a little closer than the Tops in Brighton.

I guess it all depends on what one's lifestyle is going to be like, in order to determine which urban neighborhood would be a good fit.

If someone is single and seeks amenities close by, to include a local bar/pub with a decent selection of booze, then the 19th is not going to be on their radar unless they like hanging out around the house more than most young folks, or they entertain at home (which my dad and his gf do all the time). The 19th is great for cheaper rents than, say, Park Ave, while being close to UofR, Strong, and major arteries which one can take to Brighton and Henrietta, not to mention downtown and not far from the East End.

lol, the issues on thurston and chili ave run much deeper than a lack of retail. both of those streets are incredibly dangerous and violent. and ****ty car or not, auto theft is a pretty damn serious offense--bad example to use when trying to show the lack of problems hes had there lol. when you say 'the worst that happened to him there' one would expect to hear of a mere nuisance-type crime, like a sound complaint--not auto theft.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
lol, the issues on thurston and chili ave run much deeper than a lack of retail. both of those streets are incredibly dangerous and violent. and ****ty car or not, auto theft is a pretty damn serious offense--bad example to use when trying to show the lack of problems hes had there lol. when you say 'the worst that happened to him there' one would expect to hear of a mere nuisance-type crime, like a sound complaint--not auto theft.
Well....I think he meant in terms of his property getting stolen instead of getting harmed physically. You can always get another car, but you can't get another life(in this realm anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area