Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 09:12 PM

24 posts, read 51,309 times

Advertisements

*This thread is continued from a post I put up earlier. I am responding to some of the negative comments:

Wow. Wow wow wow wow..
Now, I re-read my post and yes, I can see how maybe some people from Rochester might be pissed and take it personally, as if I’m calling *them* narcissistic and like, but criminy, people, I’m just talking about *my* personal experience here.

I just don’t know where to begin.. So, apparently some people think I’m fabricating the username ‘Morgan86’ and that I’m not a real human being or that I’m concocting a story to make Rochester look bad? Or, no.. Make you, personally, look bad (you people from Rochester??)

You know what’s funny about this whole thing? You guys don’t get under my skin like you did when I first posted, because I see how obnoxious the culture here is.
And I am completely willing to see that maybe most of it is massive culture shock and we’re different in many ways and let that be that.. But my experience and how I feel are just that.

I am soo, incredibly sorry I ruffled some of you ridiculous people’s feathers. I mean, someone even concocted some cockamamie, ‘potential’ story about how my supposed parents (oh, I guess now I have parents - so that must mean I am real) lived in Brooklyn or something in some low-class neighborhood? Huh? Just huh?? Wha??

You people are completely unbelievable.

(But a definite big ‘thank you’ to those who see what the heck I’m talking about and also didn’t attack me.)

You wanna know what it’s like here, everybody out there??

It’s awful. I went to my mom’s group today. Horrible experience. People are so unfriendly here.

And who are you awful people, who commented rudely, to assume that there must be something inherently, or otherwise, wrong with ME if I am having trouble out here. Like no one ever experienced culture shock before? Oh, but definitely not in Rochester, right? That’s impossible b/c supposedly Rochester is just amazing?

Just because I don’t hold the same view as you that your town is the freaking end all, be all, does not for a second give anyone the right to slam me, judge me or judge my opinions.

And as for NYC, what the hell do you know? Some commented that I said NYC was laidback. Here, let me quote myself for you, since you have problems remembering: “First of all, I do think when you're from NYC, you're used to a certain attitude or personality that is laid back, but assertive, kind, but not doormat, tough but compassionate…”

I get that you want to defend your precious town, but trust me. It sucks.

And when you talk about NYC, let’s make sure you’ve actually BEEN THERE before.. Or spent an actual 2 wks there, okay??

And as for what “I am about”… since when do I have to qualify myself in this forum in order to ask a question about Rochester or any place? So now I owe someone info. about who I am, where I’m from and what “social or financial status” I come from? Geezaloo, people, you really are from Rochester.

Oh, and a little tidbit from ‘the big city’: People who have a lot of wealth usually don’t flaunt it and advertise it (same w/ name-dropping). It’s considered classless and unintelligent.

With regard to the topic of percentages of ethnic groups in Rochester vs. NYC: If you’re saying, or trying to say, that Rochester is more diverse than NYC, I simply give you a *headshake, *eye roll and a *Thank God I won’t be here for much longer.

And I will, most certainly, be the first one to say, shame on those who use derogatory tones and remarks when discusses any group of people. That’s just unspeakable and unreal. (And I'm sure the reason the first thread was closed.)

Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
yeah you're kinda not supposed to make new threads about old topics just to get to the top of the list.

Really, if you come onto a forum for a region and call the people of that region "Weird", self-centered, materialistic, whatever else......you'd be very very naive to not think there would be some backlash. Get real.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:48 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,940 times
So this poster is still trying to keep this going ... What's the point other than to incite arguement, since this was well-debated in the previous post.

Makes me think that their problems in making friends may not be the area, but perhaps their personality? Sounds like some unresolved anger issues ....

Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
Anyone that thinks NYC is full of laid back people who don't try to impress people with their wealth is obviously a few beers short of a 6 pack.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
This whole "people in Rochester are weird" thread reminds me of an old story.

This couple was traveling the country looking for a new town to settle. They came upon a farmer upon entering a certain town and asked what type of people lived here. The farmer asked - what are the people like where you are from? The couple replied that they were Nice, friendly and generous. The farmer replied that they would find the folks similar to their last town. Soon another couple came upon the farmer and made the same inquirey. These folks replied that everyone was rude, inconsiderate and cheep in their last town. The farmer replied that they would find the same type of people in this town too.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
This whole "people in Rochester are weird" thread reminds me of an old story.

This couple was traveling the country looking for a new town to settle. They came upon a farmer upon entering a certain town and asked what type of people lived here. The farmer asked - what are the people like where you are from? The couple replied that they were Nice, friendly and generous. The farmer replied that they would find the folks similar to their last town. Soon another couple came upon the farmer and made the same inquirey. These folks replied that everyone was rude, inconsiderate and cheep in their last town. The farmer replied that they would find the same type of people in this town too.
+1 for sure. I've heard that one before too and is very relevant to this situation and the countless others like it that I'm sure pop up in forums all over city-data from unhappy transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area