Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:06 PM

122 posts, read 790,456 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've lived in Rochester, NY before and will be this summer -- I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of fun things to do in that general region of Western NY. I haven't been to the surrounding areas much, but it seems like there'd be more to do than Niagra Falls, goingto bars/clubs in Buffalo, or engaging in something sports-related. Some stuff that seems appealing: wine country, renaissance festival, lake-beaches with lighthouses nearby, the adirondacks...

Oh, and if anyone knows of any cheap restaurants or bars in Rochester, that'd be cool, too.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
P.S., I'm in my 20's

Last edited by woofenstein; 04-23-2007 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: more ??s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 09:05 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,148 times
Summer is approaching so you can spend every weekend at a festival. There's tons of parks and hiking. Lakes. Park Ave area for partying and eating. Paintball for indoor recreation. Edibles on University is my favorite downtown restaurant, though it's not cheap.

Old 04-24-2007, 12:45 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,497,836 times
Letchworth State Park is really nice. You can hang out and relax on Lake Erie or Ontario. Buffalo bars will be fun to go to if you're coming this month or May because of the Sabres. I'm not from western NY so I really don't know much other than what I listed.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:49 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
Go to letchworth park. Stonybrook park. Both are off of 390 south. Take wine tours in the finger lakes. If you are in Rochester there are festivals almost every weekend. There is lots of cool scenery at Highland park. For cheap bars, lots of bars on Monroe have great specials during the week days. $2 dollar beers every Tue at acme to include microbrews. There is an irish bar on Monroe that has 2 for 1 deals on Wenesdays i think. Cheap food all depends on what your definition of cheap is and what you are looking for. Are you talking diner food? Restaurant food?

Old 04-24-2007, 06:42 PM

122 posts, read 790,456 times
Cheap food = any eatery that isn't a national fast food chain that has meals for less than, say, $8

what can I say, I'm a college student

My favorite Rochester restaurant so far is Salena's in the Village Gate mall. Oh my GOD that's good Mexican food, even if the owners aren't really Mexican! Pretty cheap, too. Lunch specials around 6 bucks...

Oh, and thanks to everyone who replied so far. Rep points for all!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:27 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,209,592 times
Six Flags Darien Lake Rollercoaster Heaven!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:34 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,148 times
Best Mexican in Rochester is actually in Specerport. It's called Chilengos. I've only been there for dinner which is probably $9-14 a person plus drinks, I'm assuming lunch is much cheaper. But it's sooooo much better than Salenas. Closest thing to actual West coast quality Mexican I've found around here. For pure stuff-your-gut you can get the El Matador plate at Don Pablos though that's not particularly good food, and that particular plate is like $12 if I recall.

Perkins is my fav stuff-your-gut breakfast with the Tremendous Twelve which has a feed-a-teenager sized portion of everything. Pretty good coffee, too.

For lunch you have to try Jines in the Park Ave area. Not the cheapest, but the sweet potato french fries are unique and delicious. Sounds nasty, and I don't even personally like sweet potatos. But fried like a french fry they're fabulous.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:36 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,714,197 times
For cheap food, there is Gitsis and Marks on Monroe. Both diners. There is Dogtown Hots on Monroe. Wide selection of hot dogs. For Italian there is Mr. Dominics on Lake by the beach. Go for lunch, you can get a huge plate of chicken parm for 5 bucks. For some reason the price doubles for dinner time. John's tex mex on South Ave in the south wedge is cheap and decent.
There are probally others, I just can't think of them right now. I've found the ethnic places in the south wedge to be cheaper(while still tasting good) compared to the ethnic places in other areas of the city.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:58 AM

606 posts, read 698,812 times
any outdoor activities in Buffalo-Nigarra region?

Old 04-25-2007, 02:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
Six Flags Darien Lake Rollercoaster Heaven!!!!!!!!!
it's actually not six flags anymore....they sold it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area