Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 AM

205 posts, read 456,576 times

Advertisements

Brighton is a fine choice.

FYI - The parts of the city that touch Brighton are pretty much as safe (maybe a few exceptions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 12:30 PM

192 posts, read 530,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor_Rigby View Post

I quite obviously don't think that Rochester is not the state capital. And on that note, Washington, D.C. isn't Maryland's capital, either. Please re-read my statement.

As for why I didn't chose Rochester itself, I have this strange idea that Rochester is New York's D.C., and that frightened me away. I'm totally open to Rochester if it's safe!

It was the safety, that I was comparing it to. Washington, D.C. has some lovely parts, and some very bad parts, and I always assumed that Rochester was the same. There's places in D.C. that you just don't go at night. I was curious if that applied for Rochester, as well, that's all.
I read your statement fine the first time. I’ve just never heard anyone refer to Washington DC as a dangerous city. I’ve heard people use Detroit, Camden, Newark, or Baltimore as synonyms for dangerous cities but never Washington. I wouldn’t want to live in SE Washington DC either but that hardly represents the city which overall is one of the wealthier cities in the US.

Back to the original topic Brighton is an excellent place to live, good luck.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 AM

205 posts, read 456,576 times
LOL.... I lived in the SE quad of Washington for 15 years... When we moved in, it was a little sketchy, but not bad. When we moved out - there were 4 starbucks and you could not buy a decent row house for under $600k.

But I lived in the the VERY close in part of SE Washignton (Capitol Hill). Once you went about 2 miles South or East, and crossed the Anocostia River, you were in some very very serious slums. And yes, the murder rates there were (and in some cases still are) hideous.

In terms of comparison to Rochester - I've run a bunch of different comparison charts looking at crimes / thousand residents. When we moved here, it was a big concern of mine as I saw that the numbers for Rochester were not that much better than DC (again - adjusted per thousand residents). They were better, but I had expected WAY better. I've continued watching those numbers for the 3 years I've lived here and Rochester is making solid gains in all departments on crime... I'm feeling safer here than I did 3 years ago, but still believe the city has work to do.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 AM

24 posts, read 44,771 times
Yeah, I've always known DC as a pretty dangerous city once you get out of the Political areas.

For reference, I grew up outside of Philly, which also has a pretty rough reputation. I don't feel unsafe when I go anywhere in Rochester...in the day time. Though I do know the sections to avoid. It's pretty much just pockets in the city and to be quite honest, you'll know it just by driving through the area.

For the areas that you're looking at, you shouldn't have any concerns with safety. Brighton is a really nice area, so you're fine there. There's lots of shopping in Victor and Henrietta, a lot of it is chains. In Pittsford and Perinton you're going to see more local restaurants, more boutique shopping.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:28 AM

192 posts, read 530,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purdue512 View Post
LOL.... I lived in the SE quad of Washington for 15 years... When we moved in, it was a little sketchy, but not bad. When we moved out - there were 4 starbucks and you could not buy a decent row house for under $600k.

But I lived in the the VERY close in part of SE Washignton (Capitol Hill). Once you went about 2 miles South or East, and crossed the Anocostia River, you were in some very very serious slums. And yes, the murder rates there were (and in some cases still are) hideous.
No kidding, I’ve always heard that SE Washington DC was the roughest area of the city, although what I heard about was probably on the other side of the river.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat22885 View Post
Yeah, I've always known DC as a pretty dangerous city once you get out of the Political areas.

That’s very interesting to me. I can see if you follow cities or hip hop then you might automatically think of the rougher areas of Washington DC when you hear it mentioned. But to be honest I think that when most Americans hear about DC they think of things like the Smithsonian, Ornate row houses, the mall at pentagon city ect. I’ve heard people look down on cities like Detroit (which is also unfair b/c Detroit had some magnificent neighborhoods too) but DC really?

Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 PM

24 posts, read 44,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrion14621 View Post

That’s very interesting to me. I can see if you follow cities or hip hop then you might automatically think of the rougher areas of Washington DC when you hear it mentioned. But to be honest I think that when most Americans hear about DC they think of things like the Smithsonian, Ornate row houses, the mall at pentagon city ect. I’ve heard people look down on cities like Detroit (which is also unfair b/c Detroit had some magnificent neighborhoods too) but DC really?
I would venture to say it might be related to what you're familiar with. I grew up 3 hours north of DC, so it was just something that I always thought. Baltimore and DC had rough areas, same as Philly. There were areas of those cities that you didn't want to get lost in...even during the day time. Rochester is more like, you get lost during the day, you'll be fine, just keep driving and in 5 minutes you're out of the bad area.

When I think of Boston (which was probably as far away from where I grew as it is from Rochester to DC) I think of the Old North Church, the water front, etc. But I'm sure there are dangerous parts to that city as well. Or Chicago is the Sears Tower (or Willis), Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier, Condos, neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area