Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 AM

23 posts, read 52,006 times

Advertisements

Moving back to Rochester in a few weeks. We would really like to be on Park Ave, but I have a 16yr old who will be going to public schools, and I know Monroe ( I think it is ) is terrible.
Any ideas on places that could be as close to park or cobbs hill area that would not be city schools ( Brighton border ? )
Looking for a 3BR that will accept 3lb dog trying to stay under 1100

Or is the city school not going to be as bad as I remember it being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM

93,565 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Look into Brighton, unless you can get into School of the Arts, certain programs at Wilson Magnet(has IB program), charter(U-Prep?) or are willing to go private. I believe that parts of the Pittsford or Penfield SD's may work, if you can find a place that fits your criteria. This may help: Rochester, NY apartments and classified listings from the The Renters Guide Magazine.

rochester, NY apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM

120 posts, read 340,566 times
Ditto to the above poster. I would go Brighton. Schools are great, it's close to the city and has a nice feel. If you have your heart set on Park Ave. As for schools, unless you're used to or willing to fight with the district (RCSD, and I did it for a long time) it's not worth it. East High has a couple of good programs for good (academically) students but it's the biggest school in the city and has more than its share of problems. While Wilson is coming back up, I don't think the high school is there yet. The only options I personally would consider are SOTA (School of the Arts) or School Without Walls, but it would be if there is space available.

I know lots of people that have moved from the city to Brighton because they wanted to be near the city and live in a community but were sick of the City Schools and are quite happy with their choice. Brighton schools are very good and have some great extracurricular programs (we very seriously considered Brighton before moving to Michigan) and if you have more questions, just let us know. There are plenty of good districts and communities in Monroe County. But you specifically mentioned Brighton and Park Avenue

Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,600,277 times
I agree...Brighton is definitely your best bet. You can be just over the city line and be in one of the best school districts in the state and still be pretty close to the Park Ave area of the city. Heck you'll still have a Rochester mailing address too.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:32 AM

244 posts, read 417,986 times
by "best school districts" they really mean "hardest school districts""

Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM

93,565 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Here are some charter options: upreprochester

Rochester Academy Charter School

Young Women's College Prep Public School of Rochester - Home

http://rcmcs.us/site/mobile?url=http...AQ_s.html#2696

Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM

205 posts, read 456,814 times
Right... Check out the charters... We absolutely love Park Ave (have 2 small kids), but know that the schools are a BIG issue.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM

46 posts, read 144,486 times
Ditto on the Brighton recommendation. If you live in the City your best bet is Charter or private schools. The Catholic schools are very good in Rochester area and less expensive than Harley or something like that. The City schools used to be good 30+ years ago but demographic forces and government policy changed things. They bus kids all over the place now. It's a shame because living in the City is a truly great experience for parents and kids alike. They get a social education that strip malls/cul de sacs can not provide in the suburbs.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 PM

244 posts, read 417,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleschap View Post
Ditto on the Brighton recommendation. If you live in the City your best bet is Charter or private schools. The Catholic schools are very good in Rochester area and less expensive than Harley or something like that. The City schools used to be good 30+ years ago but demographic forces and government policy changed things. They bus kids all over the place now. It's a shame because living in the City is a truly great experience for parents and kids alike. They get a social education that strip malls/cul de sacs can not provide in the suburbs.

or heres a idea...move to a CITY with decent SCHOOLS

Old 01-02-2013, 02:34 PM

46 posts, read 144,486 times
There aren't any Cities with decent schools. The situation in Rochester is the same everywhere, bad City schools and good suburban schools. It's an American tragedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area