Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:09 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
Apparently you must have forgotten why he does so. He no longer pays any state income taxes by living there <6months out of the year.
Why is this relevant? I'd live six months out of the northern cold in exchange for sunshine and warmth if I could afford it regardless of tax benefits if I was his age. Who wouldn't?

And I'm sure if you checked Tom's number of months in Florida prior to his 2009 Tax Stance, you'd find he was living in Naples most of the winter anyways. November thru April: 6 months and then he's hanging around the Finger Lakes.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM

68 posts, read 149,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
It was already discussed that the influx is international immigrants looking for hand-outs.
I think we'd all appreciate it if you could refrain from introducing xenophobic nonsense into what could, under the right conditions, actually be a civil and reasonable conversation about why people who moved away from Rochester came back. Especially since your mythical welfare-thievin' foreigners can't have a say in this discussion, seeing as they're too busy out and about in this city working to feed their families. My grandparents came here from Northern Ireland in 1959, and did they jet in from Belfast just so they could steal your welfare check? Nope. They came here to escape anti-catholic discrimination and they ended up doing well enough to put my mom through college without her needing a penny of government funding. Immigration is a huge part of what makes American cities so vibrant and special.
....and what the hell is an "international immigrant"? Are there some magical species of "national immigrants" and "nationality-free immigrants" that I didn't learn about in high school?

Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 PM

130 posts, read 275,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinniaDreamer View Post
Why is this relevant? I'd live six months out of the northern cold in exchange for sunshine and warmth if I could afford it regardless of tax benefits if I was his age. Who wouldn't?

And I'm sure if you checked Tom's number of months in Florida prior to his 2009 Tax Stance, you'd find he was living in Naples most of the winter anyways. November thru April: 6 months and then he's hanging around the Finger Lakes.....
We are trying to make a point that the property tax is a huge issue in Upstate NY even the mighty Tom choose to leave and only come back on a visit not as a permanent resident. Thank you.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,318,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastOfWest View Post
I think we'd all appreciate it if you could refrain from introducing xenophobic nonsense into what could, under the right conditions, actually be a civil and reasonable conversation about why people who moved away from Rochester came back. Especially since your mythical welfare-thievin' foreigners can't have a say in this discussion, seeing as they're too busy out and about in this city working to feed their families. My grandparents came here from Northern Ireland in 1959, and did they jet in from Belfast just so they could steal your welfare check? Nope. They came here to escape anti-catholic discrimination and they ended up doing well enough to put my mom through college without her needing a penny of government funding. Immigration is a huge part of what makes American cities so vibrant and special.
....and what the hell is an "international immigrant"? Are there some magical species of "national immigrants" and "nationality-free immigrants" that I didn't learn about in high school?
This isn't my topic. I was reiterating/summarizing what was discussed by someone else.

Look at HowardRoarke's posts above in this thread.

And keep in mind, I said nothing of the sort in summarizing all immigrants alike.

Also, I was looking at charts and graphics that described international vs. internal immigration and migration in the titles of the graphics, so I guess my mind was there at the time.

Perhaps you should read the rest of the thread or just plain read next time?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:07 PM

55 posts, read 132,510 times
Quote:
This isn't my topic. I was reiterating/summarizing what was discussed by someone else.

And keep in mind, I said nothing of the sort in summarizing all immigrants alike.

Also, I was looking at charts and graphics that described international vs. internal immigration and migration in the titles of the graphics, so I guess my mind was there at the time.

Be careful about adopting other people's assertions - you can get called out for it. Especially when those assertions are easily debunked.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJLink View Post
Be careful about adopting other people's assertions - you can get called out for it. Especially when those assertions are easily debunked.
When did I adopt his assertion regarding immigration? Reiteration = adoption?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,449,751 times
Quote:
I think we'd all appreciate it if you could refrain from introducing xenophobic nonsense into what could, under the right conditions, actually be a civil and reasonable conversation about why people who moved away from Rochester came back. Especially since your mythical welfare-thievin' foreigners can't have a say in this discussion, seeing as they're too busy out and about in this city working to feed their families.
*snort*

They have EBT, unlike my ancestors.

Let me guess, next you're going to try and convince us of the 'starving masses', something I've always found to be quite elusive.

Quote:
My grandparents came here from Northern Ireland in 1959, and did they jet in from Belfast just so they could steal your welfare check? Nope. They came here to escape anti-catholic discrimination and they ended up doing well enough to put my mom through college without her needing a penny of government funding. Immigration is a huge part of what makes American cities so vibrant and special.
Calm down, take a deep breath...

What your forebearers went through here is a joke compared to mine and I'm sure many others' within this forum.

1959? I'll bet the unemployment rate was 2% or so there in Rochester, if you had a pulse you could get a job. That town had it good right through the 70's, while the city proper continued its death-spiral, and all of Rochester started to decline because of NY State, the public employee unions, and problems caused by the U.S. government and their lackeys in big business.

Please, the passive-aggressive nonsense is a bit much.

Quote:
Immigration is a huge part of what makes American cities so vibrant
Most American cities have been on the decline for several decades, at least.

Define "vibrant"?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 PM

68 posts, read 149,701 times
Quote:

I read the posts by HowardRoarke. There was a nice little string of posts there where he was bashing "third-worlders" and "illegals" and, hmm, what is the reply that I see from you here...ah yes "We should be helping our own first...He makes great points"
Supporting the bigoted rants of others and actually citing them in support of your own assertions is the same as if you wrote all that nonsense about nefarious third-world welfare thieves yourself. Nodding your head approvingly when somebody else makes ridiculous and offensive posts is no better than writing those posts yourself, especially when you use HowardRoarke's lovely writings to argue against another poster's claim that the Rochester metropolitan area is growing (with nifty paraphrasing like "it's already been discussed that the influx is international immigrants looking for hand-outs"). It's not like the point you two are trying to make is anything new. Labeling immigrants (ANY immigrants) as foreigners out to get our jobs, or these days our jobs and our welfare, is a time-honored American tradition popular with individuals who are trying to argue with facts. That doesn't make it any less offensive to me, or Americans with even closer familial ties with recent arrivals.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:37 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
Quote:
That doesn't make it any less offensive to me, or Americans with even closer familial ties with recent arrivals.
Lol, is "recent arrival" the new PC, non-offensive way to say illegal immigrants You crazy liberals!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I read the posts by HowardRoarke. There was a nice little string of posts there where he was bashing "third-worlders" and "illegals" and, hmm, what is the reply that I see from you here...ah yes "We should be helping our own first...He makes great points"
Supporting the bigoted rants of others and actually citing them in support of your own assertions is the same as if you wrote all that nonsense about nefarious third-world welfare thieves yourself. Nodding your head approvingly when somebody else makes ridiculous and offensive posts is no better than writing those posts yourself, especially when you use HowardRoarke's lovely writings to argue against another poster's claim that the Rochester metropolitan area is growing (with nifty paraphrasing like "it's already been discussed that the influx is international immigrants looking for hand-outs"). It's not like the point you two are trying to make is anything new. Labeling immigrants (ANY immigrants) as foreigners out to get our jobs, or these days our jobs and our welfare, is a time-honored American tradition popular with individuals who are trying to argue with facts. That doesn't make it any less offensive to me, or Americans with even closer familial ties with recent arrivals.
He did make great points. But I never said I support every drop of text under his name. Frankly, I don't know enough about immigration to comment on it. It's something I have to read more about before commenting. I don't think I'll get to it. I'm currently reading up on the Kentucky and Virginia Resolutions, John C. Calhoun, and Andrew Johnson; obviously way off topic!

And I also don't have an obligation to trash his posts because you felt they were offensive. I didn't. He actually makes the conversation interesting, rather than a back-and-forth between the side that hates this area and the side blind with naivete (in my humble opinion).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area