Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 PM

75 posts, read 116,980 times

Advertisements

What are some Jewish neighborhoods near Rochester, NY. I know of Brighton, but are there any other towns? I don't mean ONLY Jews, but somewhere where I would not be the only Jew.

Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 02:23 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Several area towns have Jewish folks. The city itself in the Monroe/Culver area has a sizable Jewish population, and some over in 14609 around Browncroft and through the old working class neighborhoods over there.

Irondequoit has a synagogue on St. Paul, the rest are out in Brighton and there's one in the city (maybe two, I don't remember). Penfield has a small Jewish population.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Any others that aren't necessarily in the city?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 PM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I'm assuming that some may live in Pittsford as well. Henrietta also has a few congregations: Synagogues

Old 04-08-2013, 12:24 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,109 times
I'd suggest searching Google Maps for the highest concentration of bagel shops located near lawyers offices and investment bankers.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:39 PM

117 posts, read 434,480 times
Hi There

Brighton has the highest concentration of Jewish families....Pittsford has a pretty significant population that is growing yearly. We have belonged to both the reform temples and the members come from all over but if you want your kids to have off for the jewish holidays you should live in Brighton. If you just want your kids to not feel strange then Pittsford is perfect. I would say that the student population is at least 10% and rising...this is purely anecdotal but we have found that in a class of 25 there is always at least 1 other kid who is jewish and usually more than that...in our neighborhood of about 120 houses, there are at least 10 families that I know of. Importantly, the district has an awareness of the holidays and kids are not given the evil eye for missing a day or having to do make up work (this was not the case as recently as 5 years ago so the demographic is changing). While other areas have jewish populations (Irondequoit for example), it is my belief that is is pretty aging. Also, Pittsford just opened a Chabad...which may or may not be of interest to you personally but since they only open in areas with a jewish population, it is pretty telling.

hope that helped

Old 04-08-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryellen View Post
Hi There

Brighton has the highest concentration of Jewish families....Pittsford has a pretty significant population that is growing yearly. We have belonged to both the reform temples and the members come from all over but if you want your kids to have off for the jewish holidays you should live in Brighton. If you just want your kids to not feel strange then Pittsford is perfect. I would say that the student population is at least 10% and rising...this is purely anecdotal but we have found that in a class of 25 there is always at least 1 other kid who is jewish and usually more than that...in our neighborhood of about 120 houses, there are at least 10 families that I know of. Importantly, the district has an awareness of the holidays and kids are not given the evil eye for missing a day or having to do make up work (this was not the case as recently as 5 years ago so the demographic is changing). While other areas have jewish populations (Irondequoit for example), it is my belief that is is pretty aging. Also, Pittsford just opened a Chabad...which may or may not be of interest to you personally but since they only open in areas with a jewish population, it is pretty telling.

hope that helped
Thank you. I would definitely join a reform temple. I grew up conservative, but I'm not that religious, although I would still like to be a member of a temple. With a budget of 200,000, do you think I would find something up to date in either Brighton or Pittsford? I've been looking on realtor.com, but I'm sure not all houses are listed.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:50 PM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I'm wonder if Rush-Henrietta could be a serious possibility. I noticed that along with Brighton, it is the only other school district that offers transportation from and to the JCC for Before and After School Care: Before/After School Care

I've seen some newer homes in the district and it seems to be solid academically. Error 404 - File Not Found

2012 Rochester Area school district rankings - Business First

2012 Upstate school district rankings - Business First

Old 04-08-2013, 06:13 PM

117 posts, read 434,480 times
I wouldn't recommend rush Henrietta.... I have never met anyone Jewish who lived there I did pull out the temple directory and would say the largest group lived in Brighton, followed by Pittsford... After that, there was a small number from fairport.

I think your price point would be rough to do in Pittsford but not impossible ...
Good luck!!

Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM

I saw that there was a Jewish Day School in Geneva. Do you know anything about this area? I know it's a little further than other places you've mentioned. I've been looking in Brighton, Pittsford, Fairport, Walworth, and Palmyra. There was one house in East Bloomfield that I really liked, but I'm not sure about the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area