Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 05:08 PM

131 posts, read 793,078 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We recently moved to Rochester (to be exact, Brighton) and now my parents are coming up to visit us from Westchester via train. I haven't been to the Amtrak station in Rochester yet and was wondering if anyone could tell me:

1) How is parking? Is there a safe lot near the station? They will probably have a fair amount of luggage, as they're staying for almost a week.

2) Can you get right down on the train platform to meet arriving trains, or does security prohibit that? I'm a little worried about them getting their luggage off the train--they're 77 and 75. My brother is helping them get ON the train at the start of the trip. Hopefully if we can't get on the train to help them when they arrive, there will be a conductor or porter nearby.

I also just realized that their train is theoretically arriving at 5:30 PM, right during rush hour, although that means Amtrak is only allowing 6 hours for the trip from Croton--the train leaves at 11:30. Can they possibly make it in only 6 hours? I know trains go faster than cars, but my experience with Amtrak over the years has featured more delays than on-times.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:05 PM

944 posts, read 3,849,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen824 View Post

1) How is parking? Is there a safe lot near the station? They will probably have a fair amount of luggage, as they're staying for almost a week.

2) Can you get right down on the train platform to meet arriving trains, or does security prohibit that?

3) Can they possibly make it in only 6 hours?
1. Parking is right at the station. Don't get lost.

2. Last time I checked you could wait by the track.

3. Empire service is notoriously late... sometimes very, very late (2 am).

Old 10-29-2007, 11:39 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,819,190 times
They are coming from Croton > Is that Croton-on-Hudson? If so, it is basically where the engines change from the train leaving NYC (electric) to the upstate engines ( diesel) and that takes time. Having ridden Amtrak out of Buffalo to Penn many times, I concur the trains are never on time, esp. between NY and Albany. From my experience: Your parents might want to check to bring along food and/or water to drink; I don't generally catch the Empire, I get the Lakeshore and there is only a snack car -- mostly expensive drinks/snacks. You need to check it out as to what you can bring now.. Last time I went, I took 4 water bottles and fruit. Bring a sweater if you get cold... you never can judge what the train will be like (I have come in midsummer w/no a/c) Let them know seats are assigned (and the conductor will tell them when the stop is coming). I would go to the station and talke to the ticketperson and explain what the situation is and that you want to meet the train; it may be simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area