Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:13 PM

10 posts, read 92,514 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place for a single professional to live in the Rochester area? The homes are very reasonably priced but are the nice suburbs strictly for families? Any advice on where the best place to live is if working downtown and wanting some pedestrian friendly cafes, pubs etc?

Any help is very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 03:20 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,381 times
hello... we just visited Rochester, as we are planning a move there next summer. If I were a single professional I can tell you where I would live... there is a beautiful neighborhood on Park Street. It has old, well-taken care of huge homes, many of which have been split into suites. We walked around and admired the area... and dined at a fine Mediterranean cafe, flanked by several coffee shops etc. seems like a great neighborhood... I wish we could afford to live there as a family with small children... I believe the neighborhood is referred to as Park-Miegs... I read posts from "i'minformed" who linked to the Rochester neighborhoods page... I will put it here too, for you...
http://www.rochestercityliving.com/neighborhoods/parksmeigs/index.html (broken link)

Old 10-08-2006, 03:35 PM

Kitty71,
Thanks, I had read some things about that area on the internet but nothing beats 1st hand experience. Good luck in your search as well.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Yes, Park Avenue is by far the trendiest street in Rochester and probably in upstate NY. East Avenue also has many huge mansions, some of which have been divided into luxury condos. George Eastman, the founder of Kodak, built a huge house there in 1905 that is now a museum that you can tour; it's amazing.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:25 PM

944 posts, read 3,847,189 times
It's called "The Park Ave area" or "Park Ave."

I'm guessing you ate at Sinbad's, which is in fact an awesome Med. restaurant. It happens to be housed in one of my favorite structures in Rochester - it looks kind of like an Iroquois long house with huge porches on the front. Anyway...

I would say hands down that the Park Ave. area is the best place for professionals and/or singles to live. Most of the Rochester nightlife is within walking distance of this hood, if not in the hood itself.

For families it's a toss-up. Rochester City Schools can be tough. The houses are gorgeous, but be advised: the heating/gas bills can get very expensive (I'm talking as much as $500 in February) in some of those old homes.

Most young families move out of the city (if they can afford it) once the kids are school age.

Feel free to post any questions. I spent, or mispent I should say, many evenings and mornings on Park Ave. I have several friends who own homes on and off Park Ave. and love it.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:31 PM

Yeah, the city is great for singles, empty nesters, and young couples; but most families opt out for the suburbs once their kids get school aged. When Brighton and Pittsford are 15 minutes away, and you can afford to live there, you just don't stay and put your kids in Rochester City schools.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the good info everyone. It seems the Park Ave area is the way to go for me. If it works out that I move there, that will be the first place I look.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 12,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrew View Post
Where is the best place for a single professional to live in the Rochester area? The homes are very reasonably priced but are the nice suburbs strictly for families? Any advice on where the best place to live is if working downtown and wanting some pedestrian friendly cafes, pubs etc?

Any help is very much appreciated!
Hooray for you moving to Rochester! I moved away a little over a year ago to N.J. .Had to transfer for my husband. I HATE N.J. the traffic, the people. I miss Rochester so mucha nd cannot wait to move back.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:21 PM

i have a little over 2 weeks before I move back to Rochester from NC....CAN'T BELIEVE IT! Finally!

Old 07-30-2007, 07:42 PM

259 posts, read 939,011 times
Thumbs down Enjoy the Winter!

Quote:
i have a little over 2 weeks before I move back to Rochester from NC....CAN'T BELIEVE IT! Finally!
How oooyya! I guess you forgot about next winter?
I hear its going to be a terrible icy cold 4 foot one!

Last edited by Dee62; 07-30-2007 at 07:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area