Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,341,696 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to a year from now still posting in this thread!

So, July 4th is crazy down here. The main fireworks are set off from the aircraft carrier in harbor the USS Yorktown, but there are also fireworks all over the harbor, even another set just 2 miles away by the same town, not to mention everyone's setting their own off (they do sell them in grocery stores, mind you). I'm not sure if we'll hit up the same waterfront park to view them every year, but when we do take one of my friend's invite up and go over their house, it's a free-for-all in a culdesac of their's. BYOFW. AWESOME!!!!! Craft beer/wine and fireworks anywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,710,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Rochester is also short on alligators, which I, personally, consider a plus. Coastal SC can't say the same.
No hurricanes and tornadoes either! No earthquakes, mudslides, or wildfires. I'll take snow over that any day!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Looking forward to a year from now still posting in this thread!

So, July 4th is crazy down here. The main fireworks are set off from the aircraft carrier in harbor the USS Yorktown, but there are also fireworks all over the harbor, even another set just 2 miles away by the same town, not to mention everyone's setting their own off (they do sell them in grocery stores, mind you). I'm not sure if we'll hit up the same waterfront park to view them every year, but when we do take one of my friend's invite up and go over their house, it's a free-for-all in a culdesac of their's. BYOFW. AWESOME!!!!! Craft beer/wine and fireworks anywhere!
In-laws in town from Wilmington. I guess it's up to me! We're probably going to be sitting downtown for a few hours to get a great spot. Looking forward to it. This year will judge all coming years! Have fun everyone!

Old 06-27-2013, 11:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,710,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You do realize that there are other beaches and plenty of parks in the area, right? There has been issues with some beaches down there: South Carolina beach water quality in bottom half; Charleston does better | TheDigitel Charleston So, there is no need to make it seem like beaches are always clean everywhere.
When I lived in SC, beaches were frequently closed around Edisto because of the jellyfish and man-o-war. Nasty stingers those things have! I'll stick to the trout and salmon.....they don't nibble nearly as much.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 PM

Life is good!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:54 AM

9 posts, read 26,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I like it that somebody who's lived in another state for all of 3 months at most and somebody else who's still living here but wishes he/she were elsewhere are so convinced that the first one made the right move. Come back when you've lived there for three years rather than three months, Rory.

As for zinnia ... I actually know people who own homes in South Carolina, and it's a good thing that they aren't interested in selling them because they're still "underwater" with them! The overheated housing market in resort areas like South Carolina still hasn't recovered from 2008. It's a good time to buy, but it's sure not a good time to sell.
Question your from James town why no posts on the James town board. Let me think about this.

This is only my opinion. This is not a reflection of anybody's opinion.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:58 AM

270 posts, read 470,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 490E View Post
Question your from James town why no posts on the James town board. Let me think about this.

This is only my opinion. This is not a reflection of anybody's opinion.
Most of people praise about Rochester here are from some other less desirable town. I have see a bunch of wannabes like that all over Upstate NY. Going to Rochester is consider a road trip to Manhattan for them.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 AM

675 posts, read 1,836,992 times
After seven years in North Carolina, we are moving back to our native Rochester. One big plus about the Rochester area is the quality of the suburban schools. Sure, taxes are way lower in the sun belt states. But you get what you pay for. We didn't feel like rolling the dice on our kids getting into the one decent magnet school in the whole county.

Plus we miss Wegmans. And family. And decent Italian food and pizza. And spiders smaller than volkswagens. And bearable summer temperatures. And fall. And the finger lakes. And the Bills. The list goes on.

We are coming back to ROC and couldn't be happier about it.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,631,045 times
Welcome back! I see you are coming from Durham; we were in Wake County for 13 years. Very nice place and we miss the spring weather and some great friends we made down there; but otherwise we are very happy we moved back to good ole' Rochester 7 years ago (maybe we passed by each other on the way? haha)

PS....wish I could agree with you on the Bills; but seriously, I actually miss the UNC-Duke rivalry atmosphere more.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,888,533 times
You actually miss the Bills? I know the Panthers aren't the greatest team, but they're worlds better than the Bills. Jesus, I didn't know anyone actually missed anything about the Bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area