Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2014, 08:58 PM

28 posts, read 52,838 times

Advertisements

hello! We currently live in Texas (originally from DE and PA), and we've accepted a transfer to Rochester and will be moving in a few months. We do have a child, but he's a freshman in HS and does a distance learning program through a private school, so we aren't concerned with school districts.

From the research I've done, Park Ave seems like the neighborhood for us. We're looking for an urban environment (so no suburbs, please) that's safe and preferably walkable (we have vehicles and will use them, of course, but it would be nice to walk to restaurants, bars, etc, when the weather is nice).

Browncroft and Cobbs Hill also seem nice, but a bit further out, so I'm not sure if that's ideal.

Can some locals give me your opinions? Am I right in thinking those neighborhoods are good? Are they safe?

Also, if anyone has an awesome realtor they'd like to recommend, I'd be grateful for that as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 09:40 PM

466 posts, read 982,532 times
Park Ave is very safe and likely your best bet. It's a terrific area. Anywhere in and around Park Ave, East Ave, University Ave and Monroe Ave will work for you. All safe, all walk-able. But Park is the best of the bunch.

The Southwedge is another great neighborhood that is safe, walk-able and with a lot of great local joints nearby.

There are a lot of apartments/condos popping up in downtown that are very nice. There's a lot of development in progress in downtown and likely a lot more coming in the future. So there will be considerably more retail and entertainment options there within a year or 2. Despite what many will say, downtown is quite safe.

The Mt. Hope area is up and coming as the Collegetown project is nearing completion. I'd check that out.

Finally, Corn Hill is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the city. It's mostly residential, so you won't have the bars and restaurants like Park Ave. But it's incredibly well preserved with some really amazing homes built in the 1800's.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:08 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
I agree with Colton. Based on your criteria I would agree that Park Ave. area fits best. You will probably want to be at least around Vick Park B or further West on Park or on another street in the Park Ave. area. Starting at about Vick Park B is where the vibrancy near downtown starts. The Park Ave. Area will put right in the center of a number of vibrant streets. Park Ave, Monroe Ave, Alexander and East Ave are all very active and within walking distance of Park. Monroe Ave. is a gritty vibrant, think of your typical NYC city street with a lot of eclectic businesses, Alexander has a few nightclubs, bars and restaurants. Park Ave is more laid back but still vibrant (which is why it's a great area to live in) and East Ave is more upscale with many bars/restaurants/clubs.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:23 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Along with the great info, this guide should help: Southeast Quadrant - Rochester Wiki

Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki

Old 11-16-2014, 06:40 PM

28 posts, read 52,838 times
Thank you so much for the information! I really appreciate it

Old 11-22-2014, 01:02 PM

97 posts, read 235,716 times
Will piggyback here, since I have similar interests except that public schools are relevant (elementary). (I know, schools are a big one.) Any suggestions?

Old 11-22-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomBelle View Post
Will piggyback here, since I have similar interests except that public schools are relevant (elementary). (I know, schools are a big one.) Any suggestions?
What is your price range and are you looking to rent or buy? Do you prefer urban, suburban-urban, suburban relatively close to urban (2nd ring suburb) or very suburban to rural (third ring suburbs and beyond).

Old 11-22-2014, 01:38 PM

97 posts, read 235,716 times
Best guess for now is rent (probably up to $1600/month) in a walkable, kid-friendly community. Being able to walk to schools/park/trails would be great! Walking to stores for groceries and to eat out would nice, but it's less of a priority.

There are a lot of unknowns for us right now, but we've done two big interstate (Midwest to Southeast; SE to California) moves in three years. I've found that school issues are difficult to research when school isn't in session and that registration deadlines can be very early, particularly in districts where there is overcrowding. So I'm doing a bit of looking now. Also, I've lived in the area before (20+ years ago, however), and we have family nearby and within a day's drive. Rochester's not the only possibility, but it's an area where we'd like to live. In some ways this is plus, but in other ways it's a distraction as I have emotional attachments to all kids of places rooted in memory that don't reflect my current reality (parent to young kids) and current conditions in and around the city (a college town in the 19th Ward...what, that actually happened? ;-) )

Old 11-22-2014, 02:46 PM

You should be able to find something quite nice with that rent budget. In terms of walkability and good schools, Brighton, West Irondequoit and Pittsford I think would fit nicely. Brighton tends to be the most expensive for apartments and both Brighton and West Irondequoit have a smaller number of apartment communities to choose from, but those are good choices. Those towns will also be the closest to the city with a more urban feel to them.

Pittsford has some nice apartments and I think would get you fairly close to the erie canal which is very walkable along with being close to restaurants in the village.

Webster will probably get you the biggest bang for the buck. There have been a ton of brand new apartment complexes built in Webster that fall into your budget.

19 Apartments for Rent in , - Apartments.com

If you get closer to North Ponds Park there are many trails and Webster has a decent downtown too. I'm not super familiar with Webster schools but I think they are fairly decent from what I've read.

Webster, NY - Official Website

And yes, there's a college town being built in the 19th ward As a whole, the city is much, much better than it was 20 years ago. For instance East Ave. is way more vibrant than it's ever been. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at many things.

Last edited by db2797; 11-22-2014 at 03:34 PM..

Old 11-22-2014, 05:59 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
This guide could also help: Rochester, NY apartments and classified listings from the The Renters Guide Magazine.

Fairport, Spencerport and maybe even Brockport could be good options in terms of walkability and good schools. All 3 are villages on the Erie Canal too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area