Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 09:18 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times

Advertisements

That's right...Starry Nites is still around and another great choice! And that is also in one of my favorite flat iron buildings in Rochester.

Starry Nites Cafe - About
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 01:54 PM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
The more I investigate Rochester the more interesting the place seems.

I was doing some google map/streetview stuff and also doing some online pedometer stuff to see what might be walkable from my hotel. Seems like it would be a nice walk through the east side, across the freeway that seperates the east side from South Wedge and Swillburg, and into that South Wedge area....I want to visit a coffeeshop down there that sounds quite interesting. The walk would be long, but I do long walks and hikes anyway.

From streetview it looks like nice leafy streets on the east side, and I see I could walk a bit to that diner in Swillburg, then swing around and walk into the South Wedge to South Street.

This would be a morning walk, starting at daybreak into city, as described above. Id time it to hit places as they were opening or open for a bit.

Wondering about safety? It all looks pretty safe from google, just wondering if its ok in real-life?

Oh..another question. Could I hop on a bus from South Wedge into downtown? Since this would be on Memorial Day Monday it would be holiday schedules. I figure it would be a nice hop to save a few steps back.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:52 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,637 times
The walk is a little bit long, but definitely reasonable and it sounds like you are very familiar with urban walking, so based on that I think it's a walk you'd definitely be comfortable doing.

The area all around there is relatively safe. The only area I think I would avoid is Averil Ave, Pearl St, Meig St Square. But even on those roads, I don't think you'd have any issues. Looking at the crime maps it is a low crime area overall. As mentioned earlier, the Clinton Ave. S over to Monroe is very ethnic. I think your plans for walking over to the South Wedge makes sense. Are you staying over in the East Ave. area or downtown? And what route(s) were you preferring do you think? I could give some ideas on if it is a good route to take if you'd like too. Were you planning on going through the Park Ave area to get over there or up East Ave. to Alexander St?

The bus shouldn't be an issue too. On holidays it runs on Sunday Schedules. A bus goes every hour from South Ave/Gregory from 5:45 in the morning until 12:45 in the evening. If you are on East Ave, you can catch a bus downtown and then a connecting bus over to East Ave. from the bus station, unless you were looking to walk. Which is actually a nice and easy walk too.

you can plan your trip here:
Maps & Schedules
Where's My Bus? - Schedule

Old 03-16-2015, 07:03 AM

384 posts, read 356,082 times
If he was walking from the east side of 490 into Swillburg, my guess was he's staying at the Strathallen. If you are indeed coming from that area, I'd say walk down Goodman. I walk from Monroe over 490 that direction all the time at night with no problems, in the morning you should be fine. It's a pretty heavily used route so there will be plenty of traffic around that you won't have to deal with any trouble. South Clinton from Goodman up to Alexander or so is still a little rough, but you're likely fine there as well, just keep your head up. What diner are you looking at in Swillburg? The Highland Diner is right there, gets pretty busy after 9 am or so, but they do have a counter I'm sure you could find a seat at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area