Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 AM

376 posts, read 599,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvl View Post
Wow, you're disappointed in the food so you're leaving the area? Curious as to where you dined that turned you against the area so quickly? There are some very wonderful restaurants in the city and the suburbs that I would put up against any world class restaurants I've dined at in NY, Chicago, Toronto, Maui, Vegas, New Orleans, SF, Dallas, LA, Atlanta, Bermuda, Mexico, shall I go on? But seriously, where did you eat that you formed such a quick assessment of the food/area?
I moved from NYC, and while I'm not moving out of here I have to agree that food sucks in this area (relatively speaking). I seriously doubt you have dined at "world-class" restaurants in "NY, Chicago, Toronto, Maui, Vegas, New Orleans, SF, Dallas, LA, Atlanta, Bermuda, Mexico" as you claimed, it's clear that Rochester is not even remotely in the same league as many of the cities on your list. When making stuff up, please try to be reasonable, otherwise it'll be easy for others to tell that you are making stuff up.

Also, while food isn't too bad here compared to other cities of similar size/geography, there is no world-class restaurants in Rochester. Very few restaurants are world-class (Le Cirque in NYC or Lung Fung Heen in Hong Kong are examples of world-class restaurants), and they are usually located in world-class cities. Neither the City of of Rochester nor any of its restaurants can be even remotely considered "world-class". Rochester can be many things to many people, however world-class is not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Mvl

102 posts, read 146,591 times
Umm, yeah, I have dined at world class restaurants. And will be hitting more in Paris, Rome, Venice and Florence this fall. Sort of into food. And wine, having worked in the industry for 13 years. I think for a city/suburbs the size of Roc, there are many very good restaurants in the area.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:26 AM

15 posts, read 17,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Keep in mind this person had their mind made up about Rochester before they even got here. No offense, I don't take much of what you say seriously.
Hmm...no not really. I never said anything offensive or negative about Rochester. I just made an observation, and you are free to interpret it the way you like even if it is completely straightforward. Don't shoot the messenger.

That said, the reason I didn't want to stay in Rochester beyond November is mainly due to the weather, nothing to do with the place or the people. There's very little you can do to change that and I don't blame the place for the kinda weather it has. Anyway it's my preference to be in a warm place in winter if it's possible, that doesn't mean I am discounting Rochester altogether. My stance regarding the food stands though.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What food options did you have in the South? What parts of the South did you go to? You can get your share of greasy food there as well.
Traditional Southern good is very greasy actually or fried. It's def. not a healthy option. I work in Webster which has a very few restaurants that are appealing to me. I have been to 3 places so far, one was a very very basic Chinese place with oily food, one was a Mexican place called Maria's Mexican Kitchen which had the most unappealing and bland(never imagined Mexican food could be bland) food ever. Even the salsa was watered down not to mention the stale chips, I would give that place a 0 out of 5. I finally figured out a decent option though, which is going to Wegman's and getting something from their salad bar. That seems to be the saving grace of Webster.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
But anyways, if the OP wants "authentic" restaurants, or unique with food that is far, far from bar food in Rochester, here are some options. I have a feeling he has only been to the chain restaurants and thinks that all there is in the area:

Rooney's
Rooney's Restaurant in Rochester, New York
Good Luck
Restaurant Good Luck
Lento
Lento Restaurant - Rochester, NY
Revelry
The Revelry — Honest Food, Good Spirits
Trata
TRATA - The Restaurant at the Armory
Pane Vino
http://www.panevinoontheriver175.com/
Tapas 177
Restaurant Rochester, NY | Tapas 177
Roncone's
Rochester Italian Restaurant - Roncone's serving Italian and American food in Downtown Rochester since 1937
Astoria
Astoria Greek Cuisine Mediterranean Food | Rochester, NY | Order Online
Mr. Dominic's
Home - Mr. Dominic's 585-730-5444
Aunt Rosie's
Home | Aunt Rosie's
2 Vine
Restaurant 2Vine | 24 WINTHROP STREET, ROCHESTER, NY | 585.454.6020
Max's Chophouse
Home | Max Chophouse
Ristorante Lucano
Ristorante Lucano | A Fine Dining Italian Restaurant in Rochester, NY
Napa Wood Fire Pizza
HOME - Napa
Thanks for the list. I am still new and exploring things around here, I shall try to check out some of the restaurants on your list.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Rochester has a lot of great restaurants. Where have you been that's so horrible? My assumption is you haven't tried 99.999999% of the areas restaurants and generally just don't know what you're talking about.
I agree I haven't been to 99.999999% of the restaurants here. That said, I did check out an Ethiopian place around Clinton(I think) yesterday and the food was very cheap and great. I was specifically referring to Webster btw, not the whole of Rochester. I haven't really been to Rochester that much yet.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I hate this city as much as the next guy but damn, saying the food sucks here is lulzy at best. If there is one and only one thing Rochester really has going for it, it's food.
Why do you hate this city? Just want to know.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,937 times
Webster sucks, it's a decent place to live and raise children but that's about it. It otherwise has no identity and nothing that makes you want to go there. If you want truly good food, you need to venture in to the city or to the west side, which is know for Italian and German food.

And it sounds like yiplong is a victim of the brainwashing that you need to go to a high dollar establishment with massively overpriced and embarrassingly small portions in a large city to experience "world class" food. While Rochester may be far from world class, there are most certainly some chefs in this city that will give anyone a run for their money when it comes to sheer quality.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedazzledtraveler View Post
Traditional Southern good is very greasy actually or fried. It's def. not a healthy option. I work in Webster which has a very few restaurants that are appealing to me. I have been to 3 places so far, one was a very very basic Chinese place with oily food, one was a Mexican place called Maria's Mexican Kitchen which had the most unappealing and bland(never imagined Mexican food could be bland) food ever. Even the salsa was watered down not to mention the stale chips, I would give that place a 0 out of 5. I finally figured out a decent option though, which is going to Wegman's and getting something from their salad bar. That seems to be the saving grace of Webster.
This explains it. For BBQ, perhaps look into Unkle Moe's and there are Soul Food, as well as Caribbean restaurants in Rochester as well. If nothing else, check this out: Restaurants - Rochester Wiki

Old 04-23-2015, 01:39 PM

466 posts, read 982,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedazzledtraveler View Post
I agree I haven't been to 99.999999% of the restaurants here. That said, I did check out an Ethiopian place around Clinton(I think) yesterday and the food was very cheap and great. I was specifically referring to Webster btw, not the whole of Rochester. I haven't really been to Rochester that much yet.
Free lesson of the day. Don't post that an entire city of 1 million has terrible food when you've only tried 3 restaurants from a suburb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area