Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:58 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
It's a message board and a discussion. Nothing has been all that mean spirited unless you have extremely thin skin.
Knowing C-D forums, a simple questioning or rebuttal of a post can go from something simple to something totally different that is assumed. You also can get others piling on as well, even when people have been past what was discussed. So, this isn't surprising or anything new on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 AM

44 posts, read 62,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedazzledtraveler View Post
Thank you for being pretty much the only person that has some sensibility on this forum. The welcome these people on the forum gave me was quite outstanding and if they were to represent this city in any way, it's not too hard to guess why very few people would like to move up here. It's ironic that the one person who pretty much stinks up any post by being abrasive and act snobbish is the one that insists on how "friendly" the people here in Rochester are. It's not too hard for me to understand now why out of the 40 friends I spoke to before leaving Charlotte, the number of people who were willing to move to Rochester was a grand ZERO.

If this were a place where the industry is booming and lots of jobs are being created, I can understand the uppity attitude and condescending behavior. For a place that's the opposite, it's hard to fathom how people can act all high and mighty. I guess people that have lived in their own little bubble can act that way though. 6 months if that, and the countdown begins now.
For what it's worth, the few times I have been to Rochester I have met nothing but friendly and helpful individuals. I think some things can just strike a nerve, i.e. saying their food is horrible. You cannot possibly expect the people on this board to be nice and friendly after you said the things you did in your original post criticizing the food. It was harsh and definitely more condescending than you are portraying the posters as. I want us to all get along as well but you can't be rude and ignorant and then flip it around and complain that you're the victim in the situation.

Btw, definitely wait for the summers in WNY, as they are one of the reasons I moved here. They are truly beautiful!

Old 04-27-2015, 07:50 AM

15 posts, read 17,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
I'm just curious bedazzledtraveler, why did you move to Rochester? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or anything. I'm just curious. Was it for a job and if so, were you unable to find employment in the same industry in Charlotte?
Yes I did move here for a job. I worked in Charlotte for 4 years for a big bank, but bank policies dictate that I take a 6 month break after every few years in order for me to get back on board. Since I have 6 months, I decided I could go anywhere which is why I landed in Rochester. I would most probably get my old job with the bank and move back in 6 months back to Charlotte. That's the reason behind me being here only for 6 months.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,937 times
Well you timed that one right, you should be getting out of here just in time to beat the awful fall season we usually have and the proceeding winter. I'm jealous lol.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:15 AM

466 posts, read 982,873 times
Awful fall? I love fall around here. Weather stays nice through October for the most part. November hit or miss. It doesn't get awful until December.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:46 AM

29 posts, read 37,833 times
As with absolutely any new place...you just have to give it a chance. There can be wonder and absolute awesomeness as well as disappointment and negative aspects anywhere you go. You just have to be willing to see all of it and not overly concentrate on the bad. I'm looking forward to discovering new and wonderful things about this area. I'm sure I'll come across other things as well and occasional post california wintry depression and challenges, but I'm excited for the good and the adventure of it all. I'm here for a short weekend to look around and see which areas call to me, so we'll see what happens. I wish you luck in your future move, just have to find where your heart belongs and that obviously isn't Rochester, NY. (As corny as that sounds, it's absolutely true)

Old 04-30-2015, 12:13 PM

15 posts, read 17,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia12nt View Post
As with absolutely any new place...you just have to give it a chance. There can be wonder and absolute awesomeness as well as disappointment and negative aspects anywhere you go. You just have to be willing to see all of it and not overly concentrate on the bad. I'm looking forward to discovering new and wonderful things about this area. I'm sure I'll come across other things as well and occasional post california wintry depression and challenges, but I'm excited for the good and the adventure of it all. I'm here for a short weekend to look around and see which areas call to me, so we'll see what happens. I wish you luck in your future move, just have to find where your heart belongs and that obviously isn't Rochester, NY. (As corny as that sounds, it's absolutely true)
Yes I agre with you. I don't think I have any plans of staying back in Rochester on a long term basis. I have traveled to cities like Austin TX, Phoenix AZ, San Diego CA, Denver CO, Charlotte NC, Tampa FL and Portland OR all of which I would rate higher than Rochester. If I could find a job in any of the above cities I would perhaps move there permanently and not even think about ever moving out. My fav. cities in the US are:

1) San Diego, CA
2) Austin, TX
3) Denver, CO
4) Portland, OR / Tampa, FL
5) Charlotte, NC / Phoenix, AZ
6) Dallas, TX
7) Atlanta, GA

Old 04-30-2015, 09:22 PM

26 posts, read 42,302 times
Quote:
Yes I agre with you. I don't think I have any plans of staying back in Rochester on a long term basis. I have traveled to cities like Austin TX, Phoenix AZ, San Diego CA, Denver CO, Charlotte NC, Tampa FL and Portland OR all of which I would rate higher than Rochester. If I could find a job in any of the above cities I would perhaps move there permanently and not even think about ever moving out. My fav. cities in the US are:

1) San Diego, CA
2) Austin, TX
3) Denver, CO
6) Dallas, TX
7) Atlanta, GA
Having been to 8 of those 9 cities, I can say that they are all great spots. Why some people love Rochester is that despite a suboptimal downtown, the region provides much of what is available in all 9 of those cities, though generally with cheaper housing and less traffic. (Given the lack of curb appeal, it takes a while to have this realization.) And in many ways, Rochester provides more than some of those areas in the form of better suburban schools, near universal health care, abundant natural resources (farms and fresh water), and a chance to be part of a revitalization story.

With all that said, Rochester is not for everyone. Best of luck.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:35 PM

376 posts, read 599,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Except you haven't actually experienced any of the real restaurants in Rochester. You've eaten at suburban mediocre family restaurants/bars. I have eaten at over a hundred restaurants in the Rochester region. I'm always hitting the new restaurants when they come up. Do you know how many restaurants in Webster I've eaten at? Zero because none of them interest me at all. And I seriously doubt yiplong has really sampled the real restaurants in Rochester too based on their comments. Rochester is full of Italians and Greeks that are first/second generation families. There are real authentic Italian/Greek restaurants in the area. Every city I visit I always look for the authenticate Italian restaurants and Rochester's are equal to every one I've ever experienced.

The chef for Lento for instance is also the owner and his menu changes every single day. And the reason why it changes every day is because he hand picks the ingredients at the Public Market and has high end meats. It's a "farm to table" restaurant. He doesn't serve "bar" food.

From Lento's website:
"Our meat is procured locally,
butchered, smoked, and cured in-house

Our produce is sourced seasonally
from local farms

We pickle our own vegetables
and make our own condiments,
sauces, and dressings

Our breads and desserts are
baked in-house daily"

Have you or yiplong been to Lento?
Lento Restaurant - Rochester, NY

Napa has the best wood fired pizza I've ever tasted and I also sample pizza every city I visit. Again the reason is because they hand make every single ingredient.

From Napa's site:
"The Napa Team utilizes as much local produce as we can… from the fresh mint garnishing your Mojito to the basil on your Manicotti! We even grown our own Banana Peppers for our famous Stuffed Banana Peppers!"

They have their own farm they grow their vegetables in for crying out loud. Have you or yiplong been to Napa?

THE NAPA FARM - Napa

The Revelry has one of the most sophisticated menus I have ever seen. From their website:

"Established in 2013, The Revelry is a restaurant and bar in the Neighborhood of the Arts in Rochester, New York. We serve honest American cuisine that honors the Lowcountry of the South. The spirits, wine and beer we offer reflect our passion for artisanal, high-quality producers who put their heart and soul into the making of their product."

Do you want Salmon, Duck, Lamb? How about Palmetto Pigeon Plant
Roasted Squab? This isn't bar food. Again have you or yiplong been there?

Pane Vino has an incredible Italian menu and a fantastic environment right on the river:
http://www.panevinoontheriver175.com/

You want a real, as authentic Italian Restaurant as the come? Go visit Mr. Dominic's on the lake:
Home - Mr. Dominic's 585-730-5444

And if you want a lounge environment, check out this menu from Tapas 177. Again, FAR from a bar menu:

Soup or House Salad
Homemade soup du jour or fresh organic greens salad with asiago & balsamic vinagrette...$5.95 (some soup specials may be priced higher). PHO Every Monday & Tuesday $8.95
Steamed Mussels with Fries
Plump "P.E.I's" sautéed with spicy chorizo sausage, asparagus tips & white wine herbed tomato broth - topped with home made citrus parmesan tossed pomme frites...$15.95
Chicken Tika Masala
Braised chicken in a mild Indian tomato curry cream served over scallion jasmine rice with crispy wonton crackers...$9.95/$18.95 as an entrée (see entrée selections)
Curried Chicken Empanadas
3 Quick fried pastries stuffed with Indian curry roasted chicken & diced potatoes served with carmelized red onion prune & chestnut chutney, balsamic reduction & toasted chili infused oil...$9.95
Sher Ping Pancakes
Homemade southern Chinese style dumpling dough stuffed with spicy pork sausage, nappa cabbage & green onions-skillet pressed & served with sweet chili ponzu dipping sauce...$9.95
50/50 Burger Slider
50% ground short rib + 50% apple wood smoked bacon ground together into a slider- served in a mini bun with avocado caramelized onion mayo, balsamic ketchup & pomme frites...$10.95
Chicken Paillard
Thin chicken breast topped with mixed greens, grilled eggplant, zucchini, red bell peppers, artichoke hearts, gorgonzola, basil oil & lemon parsley vinagrette...$11.95
Grilled Shrimp Naan Pizza
Thin Indian flatbread with pecorino & fontina cheese, grilled shrimp, crisp proscuitto crumbles, sliced tomato, chimichurri, herbs & white truffle oil...$15.95 ***(May take longer to prepare)***
Tuna Tartare Napolean
RAW sashimi grade tuna scented with soy & Asian flavors, "artistically" layered & stacked between crisp wonton crackers, wasabi sour cream, guacamole, sesame oil, srirachi Thai pepper sauce & Tobiko...$15.95
Flash-Fried Calamari Salad
Flash fried squid tossed with organic mesclun greens, asiago cheese & lemon balsamic vinagrette...$11.95/ or 'bar syle' dusted with pecorino cheese served with spicy pickled peppers & maranara for dipping $13.95
Fresh Vegetable & Avocado Spring Rolls
Light & Fresh - filled with rice noodles, vegetables, avocado & herbs, served with warm coconut peanut dipping sauce...$8.95
Quail & Baked Goat Cheese Salad
Over mixed greens with dried cherry port wine dressing & topped with fire roasted sweet red peppers & crisp pancetta...$15.95 ***(May take longer to prepare)***
Italian Fusion Duo
Chorizo, ground beef & fontina meatball with zesty tomato sauce served along side a fried Arborio arancini stuffed with Greek spanakopita style spinach & feta...$10.95
Portobello Cream Cheese Wontons
Fried wonton 'purses' filled with sautéed mushrooms, herbs & cream cheese...$7.95
Philippine Chicken & Ginger Egg Rolls
Deep fried & served with sweet & sour sauce...$9.95
Bulgogi Crisp
Korean shredded beef BBQ with spicy go****an, kimchi & crispy wonton crackers...$11.95
Game Sausage Plate
Spicy Elk/Wild Boar, Chorizo & Venison blueberry merlot sausages served with cranberry orange chutney & tomato cilantro chutney...$17.95
Steamed Chicken Dumplings
5 tender dumplings filled with ground chicken, ginger & Asian spices steamed in a bamboo basket & served with scallion soy & spicy mustard dipping sauces...$9.95
Crab Cakes 177
Our signature crab cakes with Japanese Panko crumb coating - pan fried & served with our homemade salsa, guacamole & spicy remoulade sauce...$12.95
New Zealand Rack of Lamb
(4 chops) Served with baked feta/leek, polenta, cooling tzatziki sauce, basil oil, roasted peppers & zucchini fires...$17.95
Roasted Tomato Caprese
Marinated roasted tomatoes with fresh mozzarella cheese, basil oil & tomato salsa fresca...$8.95
Prosciutto Wrapped Artichoke Hearts
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND... baked in a rich gorgonzola sage cream served over toast points...$9.95
Tapas Entrée Selections
Seared Ahi Tuna
Fresh Ahi tuna coated with three seeds & quick seared RARE, served with sesame peanut sticky rice, peppadew shiitake mélange, cilantro mango salsa & spicy Japanese citrus chili ponzu sauce...$26.95
Spicy Thai Chicken Peanut Stir Fry
With bok choy, bell peppers, vegetables & creamy coconut peanut sauce over rice noodles & topped with crushed peanuts, scallions & sprouts...$19.95
Lemongrass Curry Scented Tofu
Firm tofu dredged with lemongrass & Asian spices, seared & served with fresh tomato & cucumber slices, fragrant Jasmine rice, sautéed scallions & soy dipping sauce...$17.95
"Flattened" Potato Gnocchi
Not a traditional gnocchi, we've 'flattened' them...pan seared with butter & topped with roasted butternut squash, mushrooms, spinach & Jack cheese...$18.95
Sautéed Chicken with Angel Hair
Perfectly tender chicken breast sautéed with artichoke hearts & asparagus tips served over thin pasta with a white wine lemon garlic butter sauce - finished with asiago & pecorino cheeses...$19.95
Chicken Tika Masala
A larger portion of our very popular Indian inspired chicken appetizer braised in a mild Indian tomato curry cream served over scallion jasmine rice with crispy wonton crackers & zucchini fries...$18.95
Smoked Sea Salt Strip Steak
House Cedar smoked salt & brown sugar rubbed strip steak served with butter whipped potatoes, spaghetti squash & butter fried egg...$29.95

Looks like there's been some misunderstanding here, so let me make this clear. I am not saying Rochester has no decent restaurants, or its restaurants are worse than restaurants in other comparable cities. All I am saying is that your city (and my city at this point) and its food scene is not world class, and not in the same league with cities like NYC, SF, Paris, Rome and Hong Kong. Rochester has many things to offer, food rivaling these cities is not one of them. I understand a Rochester native's pride in his hometown, but saying stuff like that just makes one a laughing stock.

I kept hearing "overpriced food" being mentioned above. Well, food in NYC or SF isn't really more expensive compared to Rochester. You can drop $500 at Per Se for a nice 7-course dinner with wine pairing and impeccable service, it will be great, or you can spend $5 for a nice falafel from a falafel truck, and it will be pretty good too. A city like NYC or SF has far more to offer in any price category and any culinary tradition.

Really, what is the point of this list? You can produce such a list for any city about the size of Rochester. If one were to make a similar list for Paris, it will be 50 times longer. For every good pizza joint in Rochester there are 200 better pizza joints in NYC. Yes Mr. Dominic's is a decent Italian restaurant, it's very good by Rochester standard. It's considered very good because there are so few good Italian restaurants here. If it were located in NYC, it wouldn't even get noticed. Over there they have Italian restaurants specializing in the cuisines of Sicily, Naples or Milan. There are some decent Korean restaurants here too, but the best of them can't even hold a candle to the average in Flushing or Koreantown.

I have said this and I will say it again, Rochester is an average city with average food. The food here doesn't suck, but it's not sooper dooper awesome either, it's just average, got it? I certainly disagree with certain poster who said there are only greasy and overpriced bar food here. Now, while there are some decent or even good restaurants in Rochester, these restaurants can only considered sooper dooper awesome within the context of Rochester, they are not actually sooper dooper awesome globally, which is what world class means. After dining out extensively for over a year, I generally find the ratings of restaurants here to be inflated compared to bigger cities like NYC, SF, etc. A restaurant rated 4.5 stars on Yelp will generally get at best 3.5 if it were in NYC or SF. A restaurant considered unique, special or awesome here will generally be just run of the mill in those cities.

Last edited by yiplong; 05-07-2015 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 12:46 PM

376 posts, read 599,335 times
Quote:

1) San Diego, CA
2) Austin, TX
3) Denver, CO
6) Dallas, TX
7) Atlanta, GA
It's not really fair to compare Rochester to some of the cities on the list such as Dallas and Atlanta, both of which are far bigger and will have far more to offer. Austin/Dallas also have booming economy much like what Rochester was like when the Canal opened. But many people, myself included, prefer smaller less hectic places. It's true that Rochester is generally not regarded as a top place to live in the USA, this is in part reflected in Rochester's low cost of living. This means if Rochester works for you, you just got yourself an awesome deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area